Mass Shootings in the US

Armed defender of school fails to prevent mass shooting at school?

But the NRA said...
It's people like you that are preventing the NRA from implementing gun control in America. I know this because SocalSapper told me a few posts back.

All this talk of arming teachers reminds me that the state government in Texas made it illegal for mental hospitals in Texas to ban people from carrying guns in the hospital. Naturally, some patriot left his pistol loafing in the toilets. It was found by a patient with predictable consequences.

It has to be said that during the short lifetime of this legislation, there were no mass shootings in Texas mental hospitals. I am therefore compelled to ask Armed teachers - what could go wrong?

Hi kids. I'm your new maths teacher.

Really?
The figures say you are wrong.

“Incidents of coyotes striking against people seem to be increasing. Earlier this summer two little girls in Rye, N.Y., were attacked in two separate encounters with coyotes.

According to Gehrt most of the victims of coyote attacks in his study were young children 5 or under. “With habituated coyotes they associate people with food, but don’t associate people as prey until you start talking about small children. Then coyotes cross the line. It believes it can take down a young child.”
So based on your previous posts the reaction would be to arm children under 5 then?

Or alternatively, don't let your small children play unsupervised in an area known to have larger predator species in the locale.

First one is probably easier. Gives them a sense of personal responsibility as well. Go U-S-A.

We often see coyotes around here and I live in a city. like most wild animals they are dangerous if you fcuk about with them. Treat with caution yes, but no need to break out the armoury.
Better to strike first - after all, you can never be sure. But when the wet hand-wringing liberals ask, you just say . . .

They are reporting an armed deputy assigned to the school have resigned. Apparently he stayed in a 'defensive' position for 4-6 minutes until back up arrived. Standard procedure with active shooters is not to wait while people are being killed. If true, he is about to become a very hated man.
More so than the perpetrator?

Armed defender of school fails to prevent mass shooting at school?

But the NRA said...
Armed police officer fails to intervene in mass shooting at school. Some of the unarmed school staff, and pupils, were literally putting their bodies between the gunman and pupils.

"The deputy should have “went in, addressed the killer, killed the killer”.

Yep, I'd go up against a batshit crazy teen armed with an assault rifle any day of the week.
What was the deputy armed with?
What was his SOP?
How much training did he have?
Same as every school resource officer and most other cops since the lessons learned process after Columbine;
Probably a handgun of some type
Move to the sound of the shooting and engage, or at least contain the gunman.
Level of training varies wildly. A lot of US cops are so underwhelmed by their firearms and tactical training that they pay for their own. What he will definitely have had is a package of some kind on reaction to an active shooter, especially as a school resource officer. He knew full well what he was meant to do and that is why he has resigned.

Armed police officer fails to intervene in mass shooting at school. Some of the unarmed school staff, and pupils, were literally putting their bodies between the gunman and pupils.
Do you mean that teachers gave their lives to save students? The same teachers who hate the students so much that they cannot be trusted with a firearm on school grounds?

Nope, I don't believe it. More NRA propaganda!

Just because someone is given the training and capability to act it does not follow that they would do so.

A payrolled police officer with the means to act stood by while children died. Meanwhile teachers committed to the school and students with no training or weapons gave their lives.

Who would I rather trust my kids with........

Have you tried walking into a your local primary school lately.
Most schools in the U.K. have a decent fence and entry control. Keeps the brats from wandering off and keeps pikeys and other twäts on horses, bikes etc out. Obviously, teachers packing heat would be a much better solution though there should be some kind of permit with a bag limit (except for pikeys which should be rewarded with, say, M&S vouchers).

Most schools in the U.K. have a decent fence and entry control. Keeps the brats from wandering off and keeps pikeys and other twäts on horses, bikes etc out. Obviously, teachers packing heat would be a much better solution though there should be some kind of permit with a bag limit (except for pikeys which should be rewarded with, say, M&S vouchers).
The bagging of Pikeys would be more than a reward in itself, shurely?
;)

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
They are reporting an armed deputy assigned to the school have resigned. Apparently he stayed in a 'defensive' position for 4-6 minutes until back up arrived. Standard procedure with active shooters is not to wait while people are being killed. If true, he is about to become a very hated man.
That’s a trained armed police officer failing to engage the shooter. If the teacher faced with a similar situation freezes. What happens to him or her?

In my opinion - they are positive experiences.

You would rather my friends granny was raped? You think my customer should have let them break in ( again - it was a repeat set of punks robbing an old man) ? You think my buddy should have hid in his bathroom and waited for them to steal anything/do anything they wanted in his house?
No. I'd rather live in a civilised country. Like one that doesn't sanction State revenge murder of citizens or thinks that a gun battle in downtown schools is actually a good thing.

You are absolutely right though. You need to escalate the response to deal with the escalation of threat. Because even contemplating trying to reduce or remove the threat is now virtually impossible without taking draconian action. The freedom to murder each other is so much more precious than having the government tell you what to do. Like imagine telling you that you need to get a license before you can drive a vehicle. Who the hell do they think they are?

You are not (and never have been) interested in dealing with the cause of the disease, only the symptoms. Why cure it when we can make money off of continually selling arms to the population, in perpetuity? Every massacre is an opportunity to increase profits. Restrict access to the weapons and one argument would be that we turn poor betrodden retailers onto the streets and rooting through dumpsters for their next meal, having had the despots in Washington steal their livelihood.

Arm the lot of them and shoot it out amongst yourselves. You seem to want that, so good luck to you. We will live in our safe and relatively peaceful countries and remember the sauce for the goose when the USA lectures us on how things should be.

The only people who really benefit are the ones manufacturing and selling the weaponry and peripherals, taking you all for a ride while dressing it up as freedom of choice. The US is the epitome of the consumerist culture, it thrives on selling shit to people that they do not need, and they are very adept at advertising to make you think you are making that choice willingly when really it is just conditioning to spend, spend, spend. And the citizens lap it up. C'est la vie.

Armed police officer fails to intervene in mass shooting at school.
The presence of a "good guy with a gun" neither deterred the shooter nor minimised the casualty figures, you say?

But the NRA said ...

They seemed to manage fine getting rid of the 18th amendment.
Yes, but that amendment had two digits, fer chrissakes! Totally different situation.

The presence of a "good guy with a gun" neither deterred the shooter nor minimised the casualty figures, you say?

But the NRA said ...
Unlikely to deter or minimise casualties when he wasn't in the building to begin with and didn't enter the building. It doesn't seem likely the murderer knew he was even there.

Meanwhile the assistant football coach Aaron Feis, who was also a security guard, was killed after running towards the shooting and getting between the murderer and the kids he was attacking. He was unarmed, because it is 'gun free zone'.

Armed with what?

That’s a trained armed police officer failing to engage the shooter. If the teacher faced with a similar situation freezes. What happens to him or her?
Freezing might be the best option.

The teachers receive three days training, mainly on the range or playing at soldiers with paint ball guns, after which they are "qualified" to carry a pistol in school.

What would be their opposition? Quite likely a mentally ill psychopath armed to the teeth with rifles, pistols and whatever else has been recently legalised. I hear flame throwers are now legal in 48 states. To put things into perspective, the death toll in the Florida school massacre was one less than the Parachute Regiment's death toll at Goose Green in 1982 during the Falklands war. I really wouldn't fancy the chances of a pistol packin' English teacher against that, no matter how many Chuck Norris videos he's seen.

How do you think an untrained and inexperienced school teacher would react? At best freezing. At worst panicking and shooting randomly. I'm reminded of a news article about a good guy with a gun who came across a car jacking. After his intervention, the two car jackers escaped uninjured, the car was turned into a colander and the victim was shot in the brain. Last I heard he was still in a vegetative state.

Perhaps the most damning indictment of the cunning plan to arm teachers is the refusal of insurance companies to sell cover to schools who allow their staff to carry guns. Insurers make their living by predicting the future. They've seen the future for armed teachers and it isn't bright.

Freezing might be the best option.

The teachers receive three days training, mainly on the range or playing at soldiers with paint ball guns, after which they are "qualified" to carry a pistol in school.
Where did you get that from? It's interesting because a Florida Sheriff was being interviewed about the training they were providing to teachers and university lecturers last week and he stated they were being trained to a higher standard than his police officers.

What would be their opposition? Quite likely a mentally ill psychopath armed to the teeth with rifles, pistols and whatever else has been recently legalised. I hear flame throwers are now legal in 48 states. To put things into perspective, the death toll in the Florida school massacre was one less than the Parachute Regiment's death toll at Goose Green in 1982 during the Falklands war. I really wouldn't fancy the chances of a pistol packin' English teacher against that, no matter how many Chuck Norris videos he's seen.

How do you think an untrained and inexperienced school teacher would react? At best freezing. At worst panicking and shooting randomly. I'm reminded of a news article about a good guy with a gun who came across a car jacking. After his intervention, the two car jackers escaped uninjured, the car was turned into a colander and the victim was shot in the brain. Last I heard he was still in a vegetative state.
I remember that incident, it was 5 years ago. Roughly how many incidents do you think there have been since then when firearms were used to stop crimes where that didn't happen? As an example here is one that popped up in my news feed this morning. Good Guy With A Gun Saves Mother And Daughter Who Were Being Attacked

Perhaps the most damning indictment of the cunning plan to arm teachers is the refusal of insurance companies to sell cover to schools who allow their staff to carry guns. Insurers make their living by predicting the future. They've seen the future for armed teachers and it isn't bright.
Where did you get that from? I haven't heard of that before, despite the fact that hundreds of schools have been allowing concealed carry for years.