Mass Shootings in the US

AS I wrote above, some of the dilly bints that taught at my school couldn't be trusted with a pencil sharpener.
Ok, so the Trumpites will say 'But Mr Smith, the football coach, knows his guns...'
Mr Smith probably does.
But the next school shooter will be well aware of Mr Smith, and start at the other end of the school...
Mr Smith might also be having a bad day and decide to dish out some instant punishment to his class.

Mr Smith might also be having a bad day and decide to dish out some instant punishment to his class.
The shït we put my French teacher through, there is no way that she wouldn’t have attempted a few headshots with us.

However....

At least he is trying something. We all (seem to) recognise that there is a gun problem. If he implements this (maybe on a voluntary basis, with appropriate governance, training and legal protection for the teachers) then it might help.

I’m not saying it’s a complete solution, or even necessarily a good solution - but it’s something.

Who knows - it might work. It might make things worse. It might just transfer the problem to other areas, or it might do nothing. It is, however, (to Paraphrase my Afghan PDT/MST) an American solution to an American problem.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
The shït we put my French teacher through, there is no way that she wouldn’t have attempted a few headshots with us.

However....

At least he is trying something. We all (seem to) recognise that there is a gun problem. If he implements this (maybe on a voluntary basis, with appropriate governance, training and legal protection for the teachers) then it might help.

I’m not saying it’s a complete solution, or even necessarily a good solution - but it’s something.

Who knows - it might work. It might make things worse. It might just transfer the problem to other areas, or it might do nothing. It is, however, (to Paraphrase my Afghan PDT/MST) an American solution to an American problem.
I personally think it would lead to confusion for the police on the ground. You've also got the adrenaline pumping, a confusing situation made worse and the possibility of catching kids with stray rounds as well as misidentifying the shooter and popping little Billie-Joe in the skull because she was carrying something that looked vaguely like a rifle.

I would prefer a more passive approach with intelligent building design such as controlled access points, classrooms with magnetic door locks and panels of kevlar sandwiched in the doors, like you'd find on fire doors. Give the teachers tasers if you want, or pepper spray and train them in the use until they're proficient as a last ditch effort. It's got to be better than allowing the gunman free range at your defenceless kids. Have a panic alarm that goes straight to a QRF SWAT that rotates around the local area if you like and try to get heavily armed and armoured, well trained personnel on site as soon as possible.

Arming every teacher wouldn't work even if they agreed to it. The disgruntled child with an AR15 will know that Mrs Moses is a soft touch and to avoid Mr Gibbons, who's a PT nut and NRA subscriber and plan his attack accordingly.

Sadly, I think that until Congress is attacked and politicians lose someone close to them, this will never overcome their love of NRA money. Without them being angry and wanting to change the law, no purposeful change will be effected.

I fear that we will still be talking about this at the next school massacre and the next...and the next.

Seems that a lot of these spree killings tend to avoid places where people are armed. there's good chance they'll go elsewhere if schools aren't an easy target.
What I mean is: I'm a suicidal sociopath all eaten up with hate and after notoriety, having a 1/2 an hour of shoot 'em up followed by a painless suicide secure in the knowledge that my name liveth on for ever more is one thing.
Going into a situation that can equally well kill me at best leaving me nothing more than an item on local news is not so appealing.
AS I wrote above, some of the dilly bints that taught at my school couldn't be trusted with a pencil sharpener.
Ah yes, that is a good point.

They're already arming teachers in some states. They're given approved training and it's only a small number in each school.

There are posts earlier in the thread covering this.

So far there has been not one report of an authorised teacher going tonto and brassing up a class of scrotes. Despite the crap some people subject their teachers too it has not happened.

Could this mean the choice of teacher and training actually works?!

I would have dialled 999 and asked for the relevant service. Then ensured no other cars came down the road, use bystanders to warn the drivers and keep an eye out for the emergency services and flag them down, if you try and fail you just become another casualty the paramedics need to look after, simples.
Year or so ago I drove past a car which was pretty near totally engulfed in flame. Although I was a good few lanes away and doing 30/40 MPH, I was astonished to feel the heat through the glass.

However....

To coin another phrase about this idea " Only in America"

Some “Boffins” in the US I think did a study and 10 to 14 days after a “ mass” shooting some other nutter will normally take up the challenge.

Mass being 4 killed plus the shooter , maybe.

Let’s see how it pans out.

Trump looked like a twat on the TV during the “ forced” it will be a good press op Mr Pres that I saw today, liked the 4 or 5 SIMPLE questions he was briefed to ask?

They're already arming teachers in some states. They're given approved training and it's only a small number in each school.

There are posts earlier in the thread covering this.

So far there has been not one report of an authorised teacher going tonto and brassing up a class of scrotes. Despite the crap some people subject their teachers too it has not happened.

Could this mean the choice of teacher and training actually works?!
My wife is a teacher (language proctor) and is not a gun person at all. After the news yesterday, she said " I would volunteer to be armed - why wouldn't you'?

We can talk and we can preach, but it's STILL their problem.
And as they keep arguing, they are perfectly happy with the situation as it is so there is no point in attempting to bring a reasoned and logical solution to them as their version of civilisation is content to keep their perceived "rights" bathed in the blood of the innocents as an acceptable price of "freedom".

Might as well be talking to the Somalis - same (lack of) result.

And as they keep arguing, they are perfectly happy with the situation as it is so there is no point in attempting to bring a reasoned and logical solution to them as their version of civilisation is content to keep their perceived "rights" bathed in the blood of the innocents as an acceptable price of "freedom".

Might as well be talking to the Somalis - same (lack of) result.
But what is the 'reasoned an logical solution'? So far on ARRSE this week I have seen suggestions of; bans on weapon types that aren't being used in crimes, a dictatorship, using the NG and/or Army to disarm people, trying to copy the system used in a country that had a tiny fraction of the firearms the US has etc. I still haven't seen anything that was reasoned or logical.

[QUOT
But what is the 'reasoned an logical solution'? So far on ARRSE this week I have seen suggestions of; bans on weapon types that aren't being used in crimes, a dictatorship, using the NG and/or Army to disarm people, trying to copy the system used in a country that had a tiny fraction of the firearms the US has etc. I still haven't seen anything that was reasoned or logical.
I mentioned connecting L.E contact/ mental health evaluations to the NICS check. Can it be done - no idea.

You wont find it either ; whilst ever there is this whole "WE WANT OUR TOYS NO MATTER WHAT" ethos dressed up in a 200 year old bit o paper sprinkled with an inate fear of everyone else then your royally screwed .

As a side question ; is America that scary a place where people feel the need to cut about armed ??

Genuine question

You wont find it either ; whilst ever there is this whole "WE WANT OUR TOYS NO MATTER WHAT" ethos dressed up in a 200 year old bit o paper sprinkled with an inate fear of everyone else then your royally screwed .

As a side question ; is America that scary a place where people feel the need to cut about armed ??

Genuine question
Tongue in cheek answer - Its not scary, if you are armed :)

Real answer is to me - it seems a lot safer than most towns in the U.K, unless you are a poor minority/teenage male here. In the U.K, it might be a mass brawl/fight/stabbing - here, they will shoot each other.

That piece of paper is what founded the basis of the nation - Its about independence, not fear.

49er

On ROPS
On ROPs
Year or so ago I drove past a car which was pretty near totally engulfed in flame. Although I was a good few lanes away and doing 30/40 MPH, I was astonished to feel the heat through the glass.
I was driving a car which was "pretty near totally engulfed in flame". I was not in the least astonished to feel the heat.

True enough - at the time of its drafting no doubt . Again hasn't America evolved from the time under the Jackboot of English Oppression so maybe a review is needed ; an amendment if you will .
Fine - try and convince two thirds of the states and congress to go along with it and make sure millions of the civpop don't start lynching the gun grabbers while you do it.

Fine - try and convince two thirds of the states and congress to go along with it and make sure millions of the civpop don't start lynching the gun grabbers while you do it.
And there it is . By and large I don't agree with big brother state most of the time but they should be playing to the lowest common denominator which in this case is the odd job who decides a blaze of glory is just what the doctor ordered.

And there it is . By and large I don't agree with big brother state most of the time but they should be playing to the lowest common denominator which in this case is the odd job who decides a blaze of glory is just what the doctor ordered.
if the 2nd amendment is a protection against a corrupt over bearing government- what do you expect to happen?