Mass Shootings in the US

@SOCALSapper ignored my my question as to what he would suggest to reduce the gun crime and mass shooting rates. I'll be interested to see if he answers yours.
I didn’t see it - I will post a response when I get chance.

...Responsible firearm owners are being targeted because the existing laws are not being enforced for fear of causing offence...
I know it's bad form to quote oneself but I left out a bit.

To add: Responsible and law abiding shooters and firearm owners are regarded as soft targets because they're, well, law abiding. They're seen as easy to fit up with new legislation every time govt wants to be seen to be doing something. The problem there is that the illusion of effectiveness does nothing to address the issue. Being law abiding they're not the problem and it's a waste of time and resources targeting them. The only thing that is achieved is a warm feeling in the collective bottoms of the anti firearm crowd without actually addressing the real problem, ie, the elephant in the room.

That elephant is failure to police existing regulation by going after the real offenders, but the cognitive disconnect is that the problem cannot be addressed due to civil liberties and rights impeding enforcement of existing legislation to avoid offending special interest groups. Not talking NRA here (they comply with laws as they stand) but groups who get upset at stigmatising and identifying members on grounds of behaviour, culture or circumstance.

Baltimore a good example of police prohibited from doing their jobs in case they cause offence. Identifying and dealing with known threats is impeded by civil liberties types who would rather have the chaos of a lawless society than someone be arrested for behaving like a violent psychopath. Many other examples exist.

Of course, there is also a level of responsibility among the law abiding - Going out into the bush or a range and blatting away a few thousand rounds is no problem. Getting pissed up and shooting your mate in the arse or yourself in the leg is a problem, particularly if you're dumb enough to film it and post on social media. Safe storage is legislated and should be enforced with a couple of tweaks, ie, a vehicle is not a gun safe, neither is a closet and so on. Firearms should be stored safely or be directly under your control.

Semi autos are not a problem. Using them to intimidate and throw your weight around in public can be seen as problematic. The effect is somewhat ruined by dressing as an overweight Rambo while doing so but if you want to play with your friends in the bush, fill your boots. Shoot someone and bear the responsibility for doing so, however. Be aware of consequences before you take any action.

The castle doctrine is a good one IMO, but as any mil type knows identifying your target is your first priority. Sadly, in SA home invasions are commonplace. Next door neighbour had one coming through his bedroom window armed and merely shouted at him to get out because the law favours the criminal in the New Democratic People's Worker's Paradise of Azania. Bloke kept coming and lined up a shot. Neighbour then went a step further and fucked up the plaster in his bedroom by firing a shot into the wall. Intruder changed his mind and gapped it along with the rest of the gang who were trying to break in through other windows. Called cops and the first thing they wanted to do was disarm him for using a firearm in a built up area. If he'd actually shot the bloke he'd have been disarmed and without protection for the next couple of years while they tried to pin a murder charge on him.

A mate had a break in and was shot while investigating. Told his wife and kids to stay in their rooms while he went to see what was going on. They'd come in through the roof in the kitchen and he got hit while walking down the passage. While they were scratching around elsewhere and investigating the granny flat in the garden he called for his wife to bring him his pistol and call the cops. They came back in and he shot at them, causing them to make a run for it. Cops eventually arrived after the medics and ambulance and their first action was to take his ten year old aside and try to bully him into saying his dad had shot first.

In SA the cops are targeting the wrong people. I have no doubt the same is happening in the USA (BATF) for similar political reasons. The elephant in the room is untouchable due to political considerations while a straw man in the form of the law abiding firearm owner is painted as the villain of the piece.

Last edited:
I have searched to find the particular podcast that I was looking for ref this matter, but due to the mass of casts I find when I use the search parameters "Gun control", and virtually all around mass shootings dates... there just was too many of them.

Frued sussed out the febrile frothers here.
Yes, I’m looking at you skid and bravo not so brave

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional
maturity."
--Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis (1952)
Hello dear.

You do seem upset.

Are you having a bit of a hard time lately?

I'm not saying your life is empty and worthless, but I'm sure there is a very good reason for you logging in and bleating about nothing at 0830 on a sunday.

If they could have carried, if they could have identified the gunman accurately, located him, got within effective range and managed not to get shot or suppressed themselves and finally been able to apply effective fire without brassing the class up themselves.

Then kids would still have been shot dead.
They'd have stood more of a chance and there may have been less fatalities if there had been a couple of teachers who were properly trained and authorised to carry firearms on school premises. Training which includes target identification in an active shooter situation.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/mass-shootings-in-the-us.244730/post-8420423

Given the often reported poor level of firearms training given to and lack of range time taken by police officers in the USA how would this have been any worse an option? Schools can and do have a dedicated police presence. However, a uniformed police officer would be avoided or the first target. The lack of poor police training or sheer negligence can be a threat to students. Youtube has the video of an officer giving a demonstration on firearm safety to students, who then shoots himself int he leg. While one of the school shootings reported in 2018 included an officer having his weapon loaded, cocked and within reach of a child, who then discharges the pistol while sat next to the officer.

If it was known the school may or does have armed staff then it becomes a harder target and acts as a deterrent.

If you think of armed teachers as a deterrent then it makes more sense. After all (a bit of a stretch here) but we have nuclear armed subs lurking in the deep as a deterrent.

Given that you've never served in your life but you spend eighteen hours a day posting thousands upon thousands of posts full of lies and made up bullshit on a military themed website you're not exactly one to take the piss out of BB, are you?

Careful, so much anger, you might go tonto and shoot people!

They'd have stood more of a chance and there may have been less fatalities if there had been a couple of teachers who were properly trained and authorised to carry firearms on school premises. Training which includes target identification in an active shooter situation.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/mass-shootings-in-the-us.244730/post-8420423

Given the often reported poor level of firearms training given to and lack of range time taken by police officers in the USA how would this have been any worse an option? Schools can and do have a dedicated police presence. However, a uniformed police officer would be avoided or the first target. The lack of poor police training or sheer negligence can be a threat to students. Youtube has the video of an officer giving a demonstration on firearm safety to students, who then shoots himself int he leg. While one of the school shootings reported in 2018 included an officer having his weapon loaded, cocked and within reach of a child, who then discharges the pistol while sat next to the officer.

If it was known the school may or does have armed staff then it becomes a harder target and acts as a deterrent.

If you think of armed teachers as a deterrent then it makes more sense. After all (a bit of a stretch here) but we have nuclear armed subs lurking in the deep as a deterrent.

Nutters target gun free zones.

And that rabid band of gun freaks and right wing ideology, the American Civil Liberties Union!

(hint: the ACLU felt that Obama's approach was unfair and unjust)
Discussed a while back, but I can't see how trying to stop nutjobs buying weapons is anything other than an obviously good idea.

Nutters target gun free zones.
We have examples of that principle in the UK.

Bad guys blow up or otherwise cause mayhem in London. London security is increased, making it a harder target. As a result the bad guys look for the softer targets outside London.

As a result Mountain Rescue Teams (among other groups) are asked to keep their eyes open for suspicious activity in the national parks. Hostile recce photos of a south Wales shopping centre were found in a counter terrorist operation in the midlands.

While the school shooter may have a grudge against a particular school, allowing the appropriate carry of firearms and reducing the number of gun free zones may go some way to reducing the likelihood of an incident taking place.

One of the effects would be that most spree shooters aim to rack up as high a body count as they can and then kill themselves when they think the police are getting near. The reason they kill themselves rather than shoot it out with cops is that they are scared of being wounded and taken alive, the whole thing is a drawn out suicide attempt.

If they think there is a risk of being shot and wounded early on by someone else it acts as a deterrent. Almost all spree shootings are done at places that specifically ban carrying firearms.