Mass psychosis in the US

Discussion in 'US' started by alib, Jul 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On Al Jaz Mass psychosis in the US by James Ridgeway
    The second bit of bold is mine. The shrinks are really pumping those drugs into Septic kids, it's not that they are 40 times more nuts since 93, market forces are simply at work.I'd not blame the Pharma-shrink nexus entirely Americans expect to be heavily medicated, most are insured and the part the customer pays directly is low so they'll happily gobble up pills or shovel them into a brat in need of some parenting. The elderly are a growing demographic and a highly vulnerable gold rush type market, granny farms will wring the last dollar out of them. The uninsured are still getting by on the Kickin Chicken and harsh language, they may be healthier for it.

Anxiety diagnosis is also rising, some of that may be genuine, a lot of folk have got the fear. Already strained US workers are being squeezed for every higher rates of productivity. In Barry's jobless recovery, the 21st century gentry are doing very nicely but middle class wealth has evaporated with the housing bubble, there is a pandemic of debt servitude, a lot of folk are in negative equity, about a fifth of the population is unemployed and there for every job vacancy 4.5 people are chasing it. They are even going off endless warfare.

2. When I read the Thread title, I thought it was a scientific explanation for Obama's election...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

It's not just the civ pop - was reading about the amount of meds being prescribed to the US military and it is go smacking to say the least.

America's Medicated Army - TIME

4. Funnily enough, I went on a date with a professor of Philosophy and Psychology last week--PhD in Cognitive Neuropsychology (which is well beyond me but the conversation was good). This very subject came up, and she agreed that there is in fact concern within psychological circles about the overdrugging of American kids. Unfortunately, her circles are the academics, who aren't on the pharmaceutical gravy train. I think once you have a practice, rather than just being pure research, the money incentives start to kick in.

I'm 41 years old, and I can guarantee they'd have drugged me into zombiedom as a kid. I learned my alphabet and basic phonics at 4 years old in preschool, and my parents tutored me at home. Went to kindergarten in a new school system (we moved to Guam when I was 5), and everything in class was review for me. I'd finish schoolwork before all the other kids, then proceed to raise Cain, pulling kids' chairs out from under them and assorted other nitwittery. I can actually state with truth that I had to wear a Dunce cap, no joke. Probably one of the last living humans to ever wear one of those things. I wound up getting a free scholarship to University, because my parents got me passionate about reading--if they'd had these drugs back then they would have chemically lobotomized me by 6 years old.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. "formal thought disorder"

Doublepluscrimethink? That's my bellyfeel.

6. I found out a few weeks ago that half the "high tech gentry" jobs in my office are being sent to the Czech Republic over the next 2 years. Nobody knows who will get the axe, but it's coming. They're doing it in phases, so they can stretch out the anxiety for us. Nice of them, no? I find myself missing my ex-wife....she had a prescription for Xanax, and while I rarely used it, when I did sponge a half pill off her (that's all it took for me), things were so much more relaxed. Considering I'm barely sleeping anymore, I could use some of that chemical feelgood.

One of our former co-workers offed himself last month. 6 months, no job.

7. What a depressing thread.

8. I know you should see a doctor.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Sure, doesn't everyone and his dog have a shrink in the States? I know they take head pills for anything and everything, but I suppose the increase in usage over the past number of years is due to reality proving too much for many Americans.

10. Does it not appear, like is starting over this side of the pond, that everybody has to have a neurosis or minor psychiatric problem of sometype just to fit in or have an excuse for the way they behave. Some of these drugs I am certain cause at least a psychosomatic need/addiction, I am sure that if may were substituted with a placebo they would behave exactly the same way.
    Some of us are just fruit loops and I include myself sort of in that group, wibble.

11. There's the real criticism that there's an over-prescription of meds and that foisted by Scientology and its anti-psychiatry agenda. Scientology has 'funded' a few groups the most active being the so-called Citizens Committee on Human Rights that put out a lot of misinformation and so on - LINK. They aren't doing real critiques--and there are some--of these meds any favors.

James Ridgeway has quite an interesting history writing for Mother Jones. He's critical of the 911 commission but to be fair he isn't a conspiracy nut.

12. During the Pax Britannica period the English got a name for being mad, only mad dogs and Englishmen....we preferred the term English eccentric.

The Americans are into the same game now but instead of insisting on a spot of tea and tiffin in the middle of a howling sandstorm, or keeping their tunics buttoned in blazing desert heat, they are popping tabs.

If America was going insane en masse we'd see some pretty unusual behaviour amongst the more advanced cases by now.......

[​IMG]

13. As an expat who has been across the pond since leaving the forces 6 years ago, IMO you are pretty much spot on with your astute observation. There is so much of the "pill for this, pill for that" going on for the next made up problem its quite unbelievable....seems everyone you speak to is on some sort of bloody med for some minor issue or other that big pharma has basically seized upon to market a "solution". The only bit you got wrong is the bit where being insured equals low payments.....common misconception and just ain't so...even with "good" health insurance here you get absolutely "nickel and dimed" on every little thing. The whole healthcare system here is as bent as a 9 bob note....I'll never slag off the NHS ever again.

14. It's far less prevalent in the UK than in the US, and tends to be specific, slightly 'trendy' disorders over here, ADHD being the main one. We don't have the same therapy culture as parts of the US have, partly because most practitioners work for the NHS rather than being in private practice.

The prescribing of anti-depressant medication has gone up, but that of anti-psychotics hasn't (these are anecdotal comments from practice in a wide range of settings rather than researched findings) by anything like the extant it appears to have done in the US. It's only the NHS and private hospitals doing NHS contract work that prescribe anti-psychotics anyway and the clinical governance around the appropriate prescribing of these is quite tight as the side effect profiles are horrible for all of these drugs.

Occasionally someone may be prescribed AP meds who doesn't really need them but it's relatively rare in the UK.