Mass protest in Serbian capital to demand early polls

One estimate put the crowd at 70,000
BBC News - Mass protest in Serbian capital to demand early polls

The Serbian capital Belgrade has seen its biggest anti-government protest in years as thousands of disenchanted Serbs demanded early elections.

At least 55,000 people turned out in front of parliament after the opposition Serbian Progressive Party called the rally.

Party leader Tomislav Nikolic gave the government two months to call polls or face a civil disobedience campaign.

Serbia's economic woes have continued as it moves towards EU membership.
It appears that the events in Tunisia and especially Egypt have quite unexpected side effect.

Mass anti-government rally held in Serbia - Yahoo! News

The former allies of the late autocratic leader Slobodan Milosevic want Serbia's government to schedule early elections because of the country's rising poverty and unemployment and falling living standards. They also accuse the government of corruption.

The nationalists are promising economic recovery, higher salaries and new jobs, if they come to power. They have risen in popularity amid Serbia's economic turmoil triggered by the global recession and the slow pace of the country's integration into the European Union — the government's main political goal.

"For 10 years, Serbia has lived under a corrupt and incapable government," Serbian Progressive Party leader Tomislav Nikolic told the rally, as the crowd chanted "Thieves! Thieves!" and "Changes! Changes!"

"We will save Serbia when we take over," he said. "No one can stop us."

When can we expect to see mass protests in Moscow demanding free elections and an end to the autocracy?

Is there somthing in the water in that part of the world?It seems like they're all on something.Whatever it is could someone give Dave Boy some of it.

Sunoficarus,

I don't expect really mass protests in Moscow anytime soon (with tens thousands participants). However, there are no free and fair elections in Russia, corruptions is huge.

When can we expect to see mass protests in Moscow demanding free elections and an end to the autocracy?
Anyone attending a mass protest in Moscow would find the brief remainder of their life to be noisy and full of incident. Putin's response would make Tianamin Square look like a model of restraint...

I can't remember the name of the Russian Riot Police(Omon?)but they are seriously Nails.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Anyone attending a mass protest in Moscow would find the brief remainder of their life to be noisy and full of incident. Putin's response would make Tianamin Square look like a model of restraint...

I can't remember the name of the Russian Riot Police(Omon?)but they are seriously Nails.
OMON. Make 1 Para look like girls. Not St Dominics just girls.

OMON. Make 1 Para look like girls. Not St Dominics just girls.
That's the lads I was thinking of. CRS on steroids. I wonder if the Met can bring over a couple of squads on "attachment" in time for the next student protest?

Can you imagine how OMON would handle a load of Crusties trying to attack Charles and Camila? Swampy and chums would have to be shovelled into the body-bags!

Latest Threads