Masons aid to promotion ?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by sous, Aug 30, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How come being a Mason seems to be an aid to promotion in the RAMC.
    Should all Masons be made to declare thier membership as do all police officers and other Civil servants?
    :twisted: :twisted:

2. I know a few masons one is a Cpl after 18 years and another left the service as a Sgt after 22 year so it is not always true.

Just because a bloke gets higher than you and is a mason doesnt have to suggest that its because he is a mason it could be that he is better than you.

I grant you some benefit and will always benefit but not all. Many years ago by being a sport Billy you were seen to fly through the ranks but we didnt stop sporting events but we did winge a bit.

3. I'm not sure what being able to build things out of stone has got to do with accelerated promotion anyway........ :?

4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Maybe in some cases aye New Q?.......... but it works for others!

5. Prey tell QMan are you insinuating that I might be a Mason ?

6. Apart from the Masonic views on the contribution/place/worth of women, theoretically, being a Mason should not preclude Army service, although I do not know enough of them to assertain whether their connections have been an undue influence in the promotion stakes. What is clear, however, is that there is potential for Masonic affiliations to undermine the fabric of the chain of command, as has been evident, allegedly, in lodges in the NE of England where clearly who you knew and your relative standing in a particular lodge appered to hold sway over performance and potential in the military context. Most devisive.

7. I am not a Mason. However, I have known at least one in my time, and being a member of the lodge did him no favours, while he was in the army. As it is an interesting subject, I have read many books and reports on the Masons (Masons not masons, who build things). They pride themselves on every man being equal, so I find it hard to believe that they are using their membership, which brings like minded people together, to gain promotion. I was once offered membership, but was too young, stupid and drunk to know what was being asked; after all the reading I have done, if I were asked today, I would leap at the chance. Now, having said that, you can see that I am not a Mason, yet I have still managed to gain promotion relatively quickly. people should not look at reasons why they are not being 'picked up', but how to be. :headbang:

8. any problems with the Masons are likely to be unit-specific. I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of Masons in the services and in civilian life have never profited from their membership in this way. I have even heard a Mason complaining that his membership was a waste of time as nobody ever helped him out (i.e. in terms of jobs and contacts)

9. Due to the time delay between posts is this an attempt at gaining a quote to put into print?

10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Not everyone benefits from masonic help, but others have been well protected in my experience.

11. Curious resurrection of an old thread...

Anyone who claimed that being a freemason was a waste of time because "nobody ever helped him out (i.e. in terms of jobs and contacts)" either wasn't a freemason or shouldn't have been.

One of the first oaths a freemason must take is that he wishes to join "unbiased by the improper solicitations of friends and uninfluenced by mercenary or other unworthy motives" (Bristol working).

FF.

12. that goes in similar ways for other workings

13. I feel that I have see others 'well protected' and 'Commissioned' because they were in 16 PCT and NOT due to being Masons. Take a Pat (on the back) that man.

I have spoken to more RAMC Masons on the outside than I ever did whilst in.

14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

You will rarely get a mason come out of the closet until it suits them to do so, now your out WM, they have no threat from you mate!

A mason will swear blind they have had no assistance, and you can beleive what you want.