Builds Mary Rose 1/80th wood ship kit by Calder Craft

I shelled out £285 notes for this kit today at the Mary Rose museum gift shop, money to a good cause, and the competitive price of this compared to e bay and other sources, suggests I've saved a mint by contributing to an important English Heritage site.

So, the kit. lets take a look inside....

the first impression you get is the smell of the wood, the kit is heavy, about 8Lbs, mind you lots of things feel about 8Lbs to me, the first thing in the world I knew the weight of, that I carried around a lot from the age of 16 weighed 8Lbs, anyway, this kit feels like it weights 8 lbs, it's mainly wood.

I made a wood kit last year, that Western Buckboard by Model trailways from the USA. So this might be the next step up in difficulty....

The plans suggest very little in the way of direct guide, The kit is aimed at a grown up model maker, I may need a few more years to grow up then.

starting this might de rail me from the D Day Group Build next june, so the start may have to wait, lets see If I can stand the wait?

I shelled out £285 notes for this kit today at the Mary Rose museum gift shop, money to a good cause, and the competitive price of this compared to e bay and other sources, suggests I've saved a mint by contributing to an important English Heritage site.

So, the kit. lets take a look inside....

the first impression you get is the smell of the wood, the kit is heavy, about 8Lbs, mind you lots of things feel about 8Lbs to me, the first thing in the world I knew the weight of, that I carried around a lot from the age of 16 weighed 8Lbs, anyway, this kit feels like it weights 8 lbs, it's mainly wood.

I made a wood kit last year, that Western Buckboard by Model trailways from the USA. So this might be the next step up in difficulty....

The plans suggest very little in the way of direct guide, The kit is aimed at a grown up model maker, I may need a few more years to grow up then.

starting this might de rail me from the D Day Group Build next june, so the start may have to wait, lets see If I can stand the wait?

Should keep you busy for the weekend :)

I seem to remember the Mary Rose was also known as H.M.S. Driftwood.
No doubt the project will benefit from your usual photographic study of the surviving timbers.

I am impressed that you are attempting that kit. Many years ago I bought a kit to build USS Constitution. Like the kit pictured very little in the way of direction or guidance. I struggled and ended up making a dogs breakfast of the job.
At the time I started my wife was a USN LT assigned as a PAO working for the CO of Constitution. The person in charge of maintenance gave me a piece of oak salvaged from Constitution during repair work to use as a base for the model. I still have it and perhaps should get another kit and try again.

Good luck with Mary Rose.

I am impressed that you are attempting that kit. Many years ago I bought a kit to build USS Constitution. Like the kit pictured very little in the way of direction or guidance. I struggled and ended up making a dogs breakfast of the job.
At the time I started my wife was a USN LT assigned as a PAO working for the CO of Constitution. The person in charge of maintenance gave me a piece of oak salvaged from Constitution during repair work to use as a base for the model. I still have it and perhaps should get another kit and try again.

Good luck with Mary Rose.
Now that sounds like a project that definitely should be made (or commissioned).

Nice. I'd like to see a wrecked version as a dio too. The few Bismark on the sea bed ones that have appeared over the years have been very well done.

Is it done yet ?

Show parade 6am showing finished schooner please !

Will it have the same level of interior detail that your Chinook had ?

1555434165351.png

Actually I'm looking forward to watching this develop - good luck with the build Sprocket.

Diorama suggestion :)
1555434475730.png

Thanks for all the god luck messages Gents. I couldn't wait, so here we go with the Carrrack, according to Mckee, who found the wreck, first there were longships, then Cog, Nef, Carracks, Galleon, then ships.
Step one, cut out piece number 1 the keel.

then the bow plank termination patterns

glued to the bow with white glue

the Walnut keel pieces cut free from the board and ready to sand smooth

first snag, gap between the forward keel piece and the bow stem, the stem is only dry fitted so far.

filler piece made from the Walnut parts board

the bow stem timber is one of the latest pieces of the real ship recovered

I seem to remember the Mary Rose was also known as H.M.S. Driftwood.
No doubt the project will benefit from your usual photographic study of the surviving timbers.
ok then, here's a slightly soft focus image of the bow, you can see the bow stem laying on the ground in front of the wreck, that long wood tube is the bilge pump tube.

Thanks for all the god luck messages Gents. I couldn't wait, so here we go with the Carrrack, according to Mckee, who found the wreck, first there were longships, then Cog, Nef, Carracks, Galleon, then ships.
Step one, cut out piece number 1 the keel.

then the bow plank termination patterns

glued to the bow with white glue
Glue...GLUE?? FFS, where's the scale brass nails, tar & pitch......very disappointed so far :)

Cracking job really :)

Me and my Grandad made a Mary Rose 40 odd years ago, albeit in plastic, so it will be nice to see it done properly, and in wood.

Nice. I'd like to see a wrecked version as a dio too. The few Bismark on the sea bed ones that have appeared over the years have been very well done.
I've been reading Alexander Mcee's book how we found the Mary Rose, the visibility on the site was down to hand in front of your face, The RE Sappers managed to tunnel under the hull in those conditions, Due credit to all involved.