Martini - Shaken but not stirred

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Sep 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. This is the area in which organised religion is exposed as nothing more than politics.

'This is what we believe, but if not enough people like it then we'll change our beliefs to suit'.

I don't subscribe to any of it, but in a way I quite admire the old style RCs who say 'we don't hold with birth control, divorce etc etc and if you dsiagree that's fine but you can't then become one of us - end of.'

I hate the way people try to join things and then expect ereryone else to change to accommodate their views.

So well done the die-hards in a way, but if you refuse to evolve one little bit over the centuries you'll end up in the same shit as Islam.
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

So... senior man of the church gives interview in which he critises church. 24 hours later he's dead of "natural causes." Coincidence? I don't think so.
  4. Who cares?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I can't say I actually care either.... But as Fingerz has made the effort - and at least it isn't yet another crap sock puppet wind up.

You might not subscribe to a particular religion on a personal basis but you can't under estimate the way the behaviour of people who do affect the rest of us.

I think there is a useful discussion to be had about the way a religion or a faith in how things should be done either bends with the wind, and betrays itself, or sticks with tradition and becomes either mad or irrelevant but true to itself.

Or not. I'm a bit pissed, to be honest.
  6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

OK, I posted the original C&P. I did at least acknowledge where it came from.

In the 70's I attended a junior seminary. We weren't all destined for the priesthood but some of us were. We were taught that Divorce was a mortal sin, that Abortion (under any circumstances) was a mortal sin, that Co-habitation was a mortal sin, that Homosexuality was a mortal sin, Masturbation was ... well you get the picture.

Essentially we were taught that anyone in the modern world who had tried to live a decent life was all but certain to have committed a mortal sin.

The role of women in the world was always to succour and nurture - but never to lead.

Sex was to solely to be for procreation - so you can forget all of your thoughts about everything that you ever thought was remotely rude and enjoyed.

That a Prince of the Church has tried - albeit on his deathbed to drag the church kicking and sreaming into the 18th century can only be a good thing.

Martini seems to have come to the conclusion that Celibate Men In Frocks may not have all the answers to the moral dilemmas faced by the populace of the world today.
  7. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Unless they'd been hanging out of altar boys ?
  8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

9. A classic example is the way the Catholic Church north of the border is trying to dictate to the Scottish Government over the issue of gay marriage. I don't care enough about the marriage thing to have an opinion either way beyond "well, it's not going to kill anyone, is it?" but I've no truck for a religious sect trying to impose its way on secular society.
  10. Well he was right of course, though I'd question if the Church ever made it into the 18th century.

Even if you are just thinking about Church Of Rome PLC their business model is failing badly in core markets like Ireland. Irish Papists just are not buying the product as eagerly as they once did and a great deal of that is because of brand damage caused by the Vatican's deeply cynical attitude to the clergies occasional weakness for stoat the baw. A pity as its potential as a force for good is high particularly in the area of social justice.

It's a highly secretive and essentially feudal power structure that really needs a radical overhaul. Ditching the often fictive celibacy of the Priesthood would be an obvious step forward. The Vatican needs a vigorous young Pope with a First Lady by his side. And no I'm not suggesting Mr Tony.
  11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Pope WMF the First ?