Martini Henry recognition

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Rikki_Tikki_Tavi, Sep 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do any of the learned gentlemen in this forum know how to tell a genuine Martini Henry from a good looking knock up from Dara Adam Khel or a similar little town in the borders?

2. Apart from the workmanship, I think the biggest giveaway is usually the markings (letters facing the wrong way, wrong dates etc.)

I saw a good website about them recently, I'll see if I can find it for you.

Regards
    T_T

3. Cheers my friend

4. Tartan-Terrier, your help was most appreciated...except by the snake-oil seller down the road. I'm now his least favourite customer since pointing out that all his wares are convincing (or less so) fakes - even the one captured by his great grandfather!

5. I'd like to get hold of a clean Martini-Enfield (.303 nitro, not the Metford), any ideas?

6. My Grand Dad had a Maritini Henry in the Boer War, just thought I would add that.

7. Do tell.

AFAIR, the First Boer War - 1880-1881- was one where the Martini-Henry was used, coming, as it did, in the wake of the Zulu Wars. To have taken part in that your grandfather must have been at least 17 -18 years old, making him born around 1860 or so. Maybe it was your GREAT-grandfather?

However, by the time of the Second Boer War - 1899 -1902 - the British Army had been equiped with the Lee-Enfield, in one form or another, since 1895.

Unless, of course, your grandad was a Boer.

I have an 1897 DWM Mauser that was captured at the Battle of Korannafontein on May 10th, 1901, formerly the possession of one Piet Huijsen - you can see it in George's book of carved Boer Mausers.

tac

8. Yes.

tac

9. So would I. So if you are offered two . . .

10. Wikipeda (yes, I know) says the M-H Mk4 remained in use throughout the Empire until after WW1, probably with the REMFs.

11. my granddad said he was issued with a "long russian rifle" when he was in archangel ..i'm guessing that would have been a moisin-nagant?
    I know that has nothing to do with martini-henry, but I suppose it goes to show that you got issued with what was available at the time.

12. I read somewhere that Martini-Metford and Martini-Enfield were still in use by colonial troops and police until WW2.

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

My Enfield MH is made in 1887 and has on the butt "Madras Arsenal 1907" when it was transferred to the colonies - looks like it never left the armoury.