Martin to be Peer???!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by in_the_cheapseats, Jun 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I am sorry but there is no way the Glasgow Crook should be offered a position of peerage

"Eminent services"? "Make good the same"? I quote Harriet Harman - God bless her

Man's delusional and was sacked. Last man who was, was beheaded.

Why the ffff***** should the man be made a peer?

Farse

discuss....

2. I believe it is traditional that all speakers of the House of Commons are made peers on their retirement from the lower House. Even if they are utterly hopeless.

3. the departing speaker is no more or less guilty than any of the other MP's who've looked to protect their position and resist reform. He's a lightning rod for all the bile and criticism that should be levied on the whole sorry lot.

Comparing him with Sir John Trevor is unfair - Trevor was convicted of taking a bribe. Michael Martin is fundamentally a decent man, who wasn't able to realise that the public would not stand for the House of Commons hiding its indiscretions through the use of parliamentary priveledge. A peerage might not seem appropriate, but it is tradition.

4. The Lord Fagin of Buckminster Palace.

5. *ahem*

Neil Hamilton, anyone?

6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

not in this case. he's a fcuking disgrace.

7. And in that case - tradition is bolloxks. Could I have another 'tea leaf' in my cup please.

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

It's a Constitutional Convention rather than tradition, and therefore has a much stronger tenet. For example it is tradition that the Speaker wears a wig and stockings; such traditions are easily circumvented qv Betty Boothroid, who did not wear a wig because it messed her hair up!

Conventions are much stronger, but still technically unenforceable. For example it is a Convention that the Lords will pass a budget accepted by the Commons; this was last breached in 1909 and was the route cause of the Constitutional crisis that led to the Parliament Act of 1911.

It does stick in the back of the throat a bit though!

9. I don't like what has happened. I don't agree that MP's should perpetuate a system that hides supplementary income through 'flipping' properties, dubious claims and then hiding the truth through parliamentary priviledge.

But...

Mick Martin is a scapegoat for all this. He is equally complicit, but has been singled out. Why - because the Labour party saw a glimpse of its old self in Mick and didn't like what it saw - a decent, union man who got to the top of the greasy pole. The new band of tories saw someone who they could make snide remarks about to journalists who then would print them in the Sundays.

Maybe giving him a peerage sticks in the craw. I understand that - but the man is no thief (how much did HE claim last year?). Comparing him to Sir John Trevor is not fair.

10. Worra loada bollix! Martin is a totally corrupt, slimy, greedy, grabbin' little shit who, by his own admission, wanted what was "owed" to him. Nary a mention of "serving the public" but plenty of mention about serving himself.

Are you Ashie in disguise? Or are you taking the piss and I've bitten?

MsG

11. Err.. yes,

The Parliament Act of 1911 coincided with the Perjury Act of 1911.

12. In my opinion as beheading is no longer 'in', I think an approprate punishment is no peerage and no pay-off as failure should not be rewarded. I remeber MP's spouting that off about the banks, obviously doesnt apply to their own of course.

13. Not Ashie... Not taking the piss....

Like I said, I don't like the fact that MP's have all had their snouts in the trough. I just think that the media, New Labour and a section of new Tory MP's have positioned Mick Martin to be somehow to blame for the whole thing, and I think that is bollocks. I think that he is no more corrupt, slimy, greedy or grabbing than a whole load of others.

However, one key difference between Mick and lots of others is that Mick Martin isn't a career politician - merchant seaman, school cleaner and factory worker, the Labour party needs more Micks and fewer Milibands.

I'm a Tory, by the way - I just think that both sides need to be a bit more honest about how things got to be the way they did...

14. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

er, perhaps because he is to blame? and then he tried to cover it up as much as possible?

and he's a gobshite with not so much a chip as an entire McCain's factory on his shoulder.

15. You are right - he tried to cover it up. But the cover up is as much Cameron, Brown and Clegg's (and every other scamming fcuker who flipped, claimed or hid stuff) responsibility as it is the Speaker. So why is Martin the only one who has lost his job? Something to do with his class, lack of connection to Brown and Blair, and the fact he's an easy target?