• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Martin Farnan Resigns

#1
As Martin Farnan, NRA Director of Shooting has been discussed on this forum in the past, I thought that it might interest one and all that it was announced at the Shooting Committee yesterday that he offered his resignation on the 12th.May, which was accepted.

Apparently a joint statement is expected in due course.
 
#2
Beerhunter said:
As Martin Farnan, NRA Director of Shooting has been discussed on this forum in the past, I thought that it might interest one and all that it was announced at the Shooting Committee yesterday that he offered his resignation on the 12th.May, which was accepted.

Apparently a joint statement is expected in due course.
Well that is quite astonishing. :omfg:

On a personal level I liked Martin although I didn't agree with much of his policy. In fairness he did run regular service rifle competitions although external pressures have stopped me from attending for a while.

Could be interesting.
 
#3
Yes this could be very interesting; although one of the names put forward as a successor seems to be held in high esteem by some civ service rifle shooters, nothing as yet on the NRA website which of course surprises none of us! :roll:
 
#4
I always got on well with Martin, and had in general no problems with the guy, (...apart from him being Irish of course!)

As you say - it will be interesting to see what happens...
 
#5
Well thats a shocker... :(

I only know Martin through shooting the Civ Service Rifle matches, but I always found him to be a keen supporter of the discipline...

Has the rumour-mill offered a replacement candidate yet ?
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#7
That is a turn up, free him up to volunteer for the Olympics? I wonder if the Councils more vociferous members forced him out or the other way around. HBSA tonight and I will be surprised if an announcement isnt made!
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#8
No announcement but some of ours are NRA council members etc and he was pushed, allegedly thanks to Surrey plod, an allegation of lost weapons, (allegedly Fred the Armourers fault) and MFs name on the ticket, once again Surrey FLO's cover themselves in glory. I know its a lot of allegations but until the truth if ever comes out or MF has the chance to state his case then that may be all they are!
By the way the weapons turned up, unlike my section 7 ammo!
 
#9
ugly said:
No announcement but some of ours are NRA council members etc and he was pushed, allegedly thanks to Surrey plod, an allegation of lost weapons, (allegedly Fred the Armourers fault) and MFs name on the ticket, once again Surrey FLO's cover themselves in glory. I know its a lot of allegations but until the truth if ever comes out or MF has the chance to state his case then that may be all they are!
By the way the weapons turned up, unlike my section 7 ammo!
What's happened to Fred? Haven't seen him in recent weeks.
 
#13
I read something yesterday that the NRA is refusing to comment on the resignation of dear old Martin (cough), because of possible legal ramifications.

This is just made me even more interested in what has happened -- does anyone have any further information? If it is possible, post it -- otherwise I would gladly receive a p.m. from you!
 
#15
stoatman said:
Well, in any case, now that he has gone, can we have our mad minute back as God intended? :evil:
Oh that was Martin's doing was it.... :roll:

(Not that we ever took much notice out here at the edge of the known world... :D Hun Head anyone...?)
 
#16
HE117 said:
stoatman said:
Well, in any case, now that he has gone, can we have our mad minute back as God intended? :evil:
Oh that was Martin's doing was it.... :roll:
Was he among those who decided that the NRA should select RUAG as its ammo supplier? I say that believing that they were selected over a cheaper domestic bidder (who currently supply the Palma team, which counters any quality argument). I would of course be happy to be corrected if I'm misguided...

PS I was chatting to friends as they were doing the Inter-County, And after Big Bob had captured me for his whisky draw, he showed me a separated round of the new RUAG ammo - case from bullet on an attempt to eject. He's not a wildcatter, and his chamber has been proofed before, so it was a bit worrying...
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#17
Indicates poor tolerances so either the NRA bought with no QA checks on the batches or as with curry 9mm they provided good testing samples and shipped any old muck once the contracts were signed. That indicates a need for batch testing on delivery before release. I'm sure if the NRA got its act together (some hope I know) then they could follow simple batch testing as per the MoD and in fact all big business'
 
#20
The RUAG is 65p/rnd if you return the once-fired empty, 75p if you don't. I gather NRA is not making much margin, so thats quite pricey ammo for such a large bulk order....
 

Latest Threads