Martin Farnan Resigns

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Beerhunter, May 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As Martin Farnan, NRA Director of Shooting has been discussed on this forum in the past, I thought that it might interest one and all that it was announced at the Shooting Committee yesterday that he offered his resignation on the 12th.May, which was accepted.

Apparently a joint statement is expected in due course.

2. Well that is quite astonishing. :omfg:

On a personal level I liked Martin although I didn't agree with much of his policy. In fairness he did run regular service rifle competitions although external pressures have stopped me from attending for a while.

Could be interesting.

3. Yes this could be very interesting; although one of the names put forward as a successor seems to be held in high esteem by some civ service rifle shooters, nothing as yet on the NRA website which of course surprises none of us! :roll:

4. I always got on well with Martin, and had in general no problems with the guy, (...apart from him being Irish of course!)

As you say - it will be interesting to see what happens...

5. Well thats a shocker... :(

I only know Martin through shooting the Civ Service Rifle matches, but I always found him to be a keen supporter of the discipline...

Has the rumour-mill offered a replacement candidate yet ?

6. he was my mathematics teacher at school.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That is a turn up, free him up to volunteer for the Olympics? I wonder if the Councils more vociferous members forced him out or the other way around. HBSA tonight and I will be surprised if an announcement isnt made!

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No announcement but some of ours are NRA council members etc and he was pushed, allegedly thanks to Surrey plod, an allegation of lost weapons, (allegedly Fred the Armourers fault) and MFs name on the ticket, once again Surrey FLO's cover themselves in glory. I know its a lot of allegations but until the truth if ever comes out or MF has the chance to state his case then that may be all they are!
    By the way the weapons turned up, unlike my section 7 ammo!

9. What's happened to Fred? Haven't seen him in recent weeks.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No news there apart from a few muted "about time the cnut went!" comments in the curry house last night.

11. I must confess to having similar views.

12. Join the club. I am planning to shake him warmly by the throat on Saturday.

13. I read something yesterday that the NRA is refusing to comment on the resignation of dear old Martin (cough), because of possible legal ramifications.

This is just made me even more interested in what has happened -- does anyone have any further information? If it is possible, post it -- otherwise I would gladly receive a p.m. from you!

14. Well, in any case, now that he has gone, can we have our mad minute back as God intended? :evil:

15. Oh that was Martin's doing was it.... :roll:

(Not that we ever took much notice out here at the edge of the known world... :D Hun Head anyone...?)