Martial arts

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Aerosexual, Feb 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sniggering from those of you who know me!

As I'm likely to be in one place for a while I'm thinking about taking up one of the many martial I'm looking for gen/recommendations/scare stories etc etc. I'm sure there must be many, many experts on here!

Local gym offers Aikido, karate (don't know which style), Judo and Tae Kwon Do. I'm not really local to any mil facilities, which is a pity.

I'm planning on doing it mainly for the fitness/flexibility aspects, not looking to turn into some kind of killer ninja... :lol:

2. You can get as much out them as regards fitness as you put into them, ie train hard and frequently & you'll get more benefit fitness wise than just doing it for show.

My choice is Aikido and like most it can help with flexibility - but again it depends on how much you put into it. Aikido is non-competitive in general (not counting Tomiki style) and is good for most ages and body types, as you use your opponents force against them it can be very useful for short or small people, as well as the more dynamic aspect used by tall or larger builds.

Each person will have their own favourite though, so the best thing is probably to go along to a class to watch and see which one takes your fancy when you see it in action.
  3. Right,

Not an expert, but have done aikido for about a year. If you want to get fit, forget about aikido. You will spend alot of time holding someone's hand and pretending to have your energy used against you. This is what you will be doing, in addition to the various breakfalls and rolls, up till black belt level.

-takes cover-

Btw, I would go for judo. You get to practise against a resisting opponent and grappling can get really exhausting.
  4. As I said before - you get out of it what you put into it... if you do it like a dance it will be a dance, if you have a hold of someone and you dn't let go when it doesn't work you both learn something. Personally,I'd rather know if something works & won't just "go with the technique" if it's not working ....however high the belt is I'm practising againt - I'd like to think I wasn't in the minority!

From Green belt and above you should be engaging in Randori S_M & that's a lot more fun than just holding someones hand which is just the starting point for beginners to get to know the techniques, from yellow belt onwards they should be practised against more than just the hand grasp attack - but that differs from club to club as well as associations.

But S_M is right to an extent - a lot of people will go with the flow because they think that's what it's all about.
  5. Cheers lads...going to watch a class in action seems like a sensible way forward.

Ta v. much,

6. There can be only one - Ju Jitsu, the mother (literally) of all other martial arts.

The rest are all gay. Karate only teaches you to fight in straight lines, Judo only teaches you to fight on the floor, Others only teach you to kick.. and some are only good for nancies.

Good luck though, you'll find one that fits.. and this is only my opinion. There is also new fangled stuff like Systema.
  7. I suppose you are right. After all Training > Style.

So Aerosexual, you really should go observe a few lessons before making a decision. Most schools will allow you to either observe or participate in one lesson free.
  8. I would have to agree. Any time i've ever seen any mixed martial arts fights, it is always the Ju_jitsu fighters that come out on top. It covers all aspects of fighting, from stand up (punching, kicking) to grapples and holds, all the way through to fighting on the floor (grappling and submission). No other martial art (that i am aware of) includes all of these in one package.
  9. Ju Jitsu... great! If it's one-on-one. Mixed Martial Arts is still limited by rules, and the Gracie guard in BJJ will not help you defend against head-butts, or against a second person giving you a kicking. Anything by Geoff Thompson is essential reading for anyone wanting to see how martial arts should be applied in the modern age. I can't recommend his works enough. Yes, MMA competitions gave martial arts and their hoardes of paper tigers a shock to the system, but finding an instructor who is open to their student cross-training is not easy. They're running a business, after all. Plus there's the who territorial "my club/style/association is better than theirs" thing. Personally, I'm a big advocate of doing boxing and Ju Jitsu combined. Most wins in MMA are still by knock out/TKO.
  10. What about mixed martial arts thats used on UFC it uses most types from boxing to ju-juitsui also very good for fittness ive done a number of types of martial arts found this one the best for a all rounder its called vale tudo. shaloin kung fu is the oldest art form there is not ju-juitsui by the way
  11. Aiki-Jutsu came before Ju Jitsu, and was the forerunner of many other Japanese martial arts.... it has the best of all styles as well as the added bonus that with Aiki-Jutsu you don't have to wait until you're a black belt before you learn advanced techniques like...ohh ... a left handed attacker!

Joking aside, aiki-jutsu has the throws and some pins that have always been associated with Judo, it has the locks that Ju-Jitsu claim to be purely their own, most wrist locks associated with Aikido are present in many other arts including karate and they all came from Aiki-Jutsu. As for Ju Jitsu being the mother (literally) - it is literally the art of suppleness, flexibility and gentleness .... not the art of motherhood. You can google both terms and come up with answers that say each was the first & forerunner of the other.

The point being everyone is suited to a different martial art and very few decent martial artists limit themselves to only ever having practised just one martial art, they all 'dabble' a little if only to understand the benefits/disadvantages of the other arts. Rarely will you hear anyone who has practised for more than about 6 months condemn another art purely because they don't practise it.
  12. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I can't agree. Whilst Ju Jitsu is, undoubtably, a primarch of (predominately) japanese martial arts (Tae Kwon Do is a completely "man made" art for the Korean Army, which takes an awful lot from Karate, Ju Jitsu but also of the Hworang [spl?]) but to say that Judo "just" covers ground work, or that karate "just" teaches you to fight in straight lines is not completly correct.

Karate does the normal Kihon stuff, like punching in a straight line and the rest that is associated with the style - but most styles of Karate I've encountered (Shotokan in particular) delve into something called bunkai, which is essentially doing very nasty things to people. It all stems from Kata, from ripping peoples testicles off to kicks to the neck/face/boll*cks.

So, Aerosexual, what I'm basically saying is give everything a go, but talk to the people, find out what it's like session by session. When I started I was fortunate to have an old "hard style" bastrd of a sensei, so i spent 6 months just doing stances - but for you this might not be as good as it seems to me you'd prefer to be doing something "more" than just the basics. How long are you going to be where your going to be for :lol:? Karate gets very, very, interesting after the first year or so - but you'll always be going back to basics.

Grrrrreat fun though! 8)
  13. If you haven't got the fight in you in doesn't matter what martial art you do,there is no magical martial art that is the be all and end all,I personally think the Geoff Thompson.Peter Consterdine approach is best,bags of aggression will always frighten the bejesus out of any opponnent
  14. i recommend Krav Maga - YOU LEARN A LOT YOU WOULD NOT ELSEWHERE. Used to do JuJitsu and its excellent, but still geared to belts, gradings, and sport fighting.and bowing to the sensei - etc -no thanks. Also done boxing training, which is the best fitness for fighting ive seen.

A good mate does BJJ and Judo as he likes to have the physical element of throws. He also does boxing training.

Karate is for poofs. Anything that relies on kicking directly too much is weak IMO. Of course, kicking someones knees away from side on, or from behind, or a good knee to the kidneys...good stuff!!! You learn pressure points and effective strike areas in KM which you dont in other styles. you also do multi opponent defences.

Boxing is very good but if youre a midget, or got v short might want to do something else.