Martial arts for fitness

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by thecoops, Oct 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now I'm not a big fan of gyms; so I was thinking martial arts so what's the best one to do bearing in mind I'm short and fat little ****** .

2. Thai Boxing is a great workout. So are any of the Grappling sports/arts: Judo, BJJ etc. The fact that you're short and fat does'nt really matter if you're not planning on competing.

Or you could try a good MMA gym, and train both striking and grappling.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thai boxing is out my belly would get in the way for my kicks, BJJ ? sounds dirty

4. If you get a good MMA place, you'll spend a bit of time doing various Martial Arts, and some good boxing circuits. As well as your grappling and groundwork... Proper lick! The circuits we used to do were minging. Highly reccommend you try that if you want to get fit via martial arts!

As Werewolf said, Thai Boxing is really good too! Or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Very tough workouts the times I tried them!

5. Aikido is good for fatties, look at Steven Seagal, he's pretty chubby and he hoofs the living daylights out of people without much effort. On the Muay Thai front, it's a great sport to be involved in, train regular and you wont have to worry about your belly, it wont be there.

6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Short and fat - go Judo...seriously the tall guys with huge upper body build were easy to topple...the little gits with a low centre of gravity just stood and laughed at my feeble attempts to throw them.

S_R

7. I was that soldier. The few times I've done Randorie, I got my head bounced off the mats by guys who were 5'6" tall by about 6' wide. The guys who were even taller and heavier than me were'nt too bad. I'd rather try to throw some bugger who looks like Ivan Drago than Gimli son of Gloin!