Martial arts as part of organised PT?

new-paddy

Swinger
Just curious do some units throw in some martial arts into there PT sessions.
From watching the most recent RM recruit documentary they had unarmed combat classes which was basic bjj ( passing the guard, escaping mount etc). Also in the young soldiers documentary when the guys were doing pre deployment training it showed guys kicking and kneeing pads, looked like a pt session.

Just curious as i think its a great way for soldiers to learn some skills as well as making PT varied and also developing fitness etc. By martial arts i mean practical MA's such as boxing, wrestling, bjj, judo, thai etc.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The likelihood of finding a PTI qualified to teach such a lesson is slim.

We used to do the odd bit of boxercise occasionally, but that's it.

Lets be honest, if you taught squaddies how to properly **** people up with their bare hands, it would only end in tears when they drunkenly decide to practice on a civvy in a night club / mate in the block / gobby wife.

new-paddy

Swinger

Lets be honest, if you taught squaddies how to properly **** people up with their bare hands, it would only end in tears when they drunkenly decide to practice on a civvy in a night club / mate in the block / gobby wife.

Yeah i see your point, could also go the other way though, bring in experts bjj or thai for example and the guys may have their eyes opened that a smaller trained guy could f you up real quick if he wanted to. I know its cliche but generally you find guys who train and spar frequently have no interest in fighting outside of their sport setting.

Soldiers are big enough dealers of mayhem and distruction already, just ask The Traf bar staff.
No more encouragement is needed.

I did it a few times but it was definitely not a regular thing. Nothing all that exciting, self protection type things - breaking holds if you were attacked and stuff like that. It was better than running round camp in the rain.

We did some MMA-style phys in pre-deployment training. It was pretty good fun.

As an interest lesson we had an MMA intro lesson. Basically it was how to avoid being grabbed from the front and what to do if you got grabbed from the front and put down to the ground on your back. Kind of the world's slowest tomonage in judo.

It was all going so well until I kicked a bloke off from on top of me without letting go of one of his arms. I thought for a split second that I'd torn his arm off, f*cking horrifying.

A little knowledge in the wrong hands is a dangerous thing.

Ask your own unit PTI's.

He hasn't got a unit, you dullard.

@ACAB

French commando taught us garrotting. Fcuking nightmare - now you've got a load of Brits walking about with home made garotts in their pockets. Couldn't do anything in peace after that.... having a shave and minding your own business - next thing, you're being garrotted. Even worse at the bar, or having a piss... or well, anything, really.

new-paddy

Swinger
As an interest lesson we had an MMA intro lesson. Basically it was how to avoid being grabbed from the front and what to do if you got grabbed from the front and put down to the ground on your back. Kind of the world's slowest tomonage in judo.

It was all going so well until I kicked a bloke off from on top of me without letting go of one of his arms. I thought for a split second that I'd torn his arm off, f*cking horrifying.

A little knowledge in the wrong hands is a dangerous thing.

So trapping an arm and bumping them with your hips? If that's what was being taught it was probably just unfortunate that his arm got caught in an awkward position when you did the technique!

If someone can sneak up behind you while you're looking in a mirror then you deserve it.

Yeah, but you couldn't do anything without being garrotted. It's really not something you want to be worrying about when you're queueing up for breakfast.

new-paddy

Swinger

French commando taught us garrotting. Fcuking nightmare - now you've got a load of Brits walking about with home made garotts in their pockets. Couldn't do anything in peace after that.... having a shave and minding your own business - next thing, you're being garrotted. Even worse at the bar, or having a piss... or well, anything, really.

Must suck, minding your own business having a shave, **** etc next thing someone sneaks up and breaks your neck !

So trapping an arm and bumping them with your hips? If that's what was being taught it was probably just unfortunate that his arm got caught in an awkward position when you did the technique!
Having expended 170 odd rounds of 5.56, your grenades and a couple of magazines of 9mm and having dropped your bayonet in the melee, your own pride alone should dictate that you open veins up with your bare teeth rather than extend your humiliation in to the sublimely ridiculous.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yeah, but you couldn't do anything without being garrotted. It's really not something you want to be worrying about when you're queueing up for breakfast.

3P on the Exeter was like that, except we fingered eachother's arses instead of garrotting people.

Not in a gay way mind.

I think we have a different idea to other country's army's, preferring to bayonet them before they get that close.

Though the hardest bloke I ever met was, a 5ft 8inch French unarmed combat trainer at the centre d entrainment commando no7.
There was no stances,bravado or big twist and head kicks,just pure economy of movement,he was lethal.
You had to see it pity we didn't have video in those days, there was absolutely no show.
I broke my collarbone doing the falls and still suffer from it.

I should add I wasn't Para, RM or infantry I just did some of the course with the infantry platoon I was supporting.

3P on the Exeter was like that, except we fingered eachother's arses instead of garrotting people.

Not in a gay way mind.

I understand.... more in an RM sort of a way, right?

Which isn't gay.

I just noticed you post was that Kehl near Strassbourg?

Latest Threads