Martello Tower Conversion

Discussion in 'DIY' started by rampant, Dec 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It always impresses me when people passionate about our eclectic architectural heritage strive for new and wonderful ways to both preserve it and find new uses. This one is a delight:

2. rampant

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Stop reading that rag and come down here where about 75% are lived in!
  4. Looks great! I'd love to know how much it cost
  5. Nice little conversion. I also like a good bit of conservation. Better looking than some of the modern housing in UK.
  6. rampant

I'm in the process of setting up a move to Lowestoft next year, so will get the oppurtunity, there are very few examples of Martello Towers in Scotland, which is a shame.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They used to come free with the land purchase, a few down here sit in caravan parks for tourists, as I said many are converted to dwellings already. I suspect they were given to the local authorities who sold them cheaply to avoid being liable for repairs!
  8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I saw a program recently, not Grand Designs but something similar, where a mad old woman was trying to convert her Martello Tower into a home. The place was in a pretty poor state and it was high on a hill surrounded by trees, so it was pretty much invisible from all angles but the air.

English Heritage and her local Council didn't grant her planning permission and she now owns a massive tower that she can't live in or sell. The bureaucracy and hoops they made her jump through were ******* ridiculous.
  9. rampant

I'd have one like a shot, if I could afford it.

Ravers, planning is a nighmare, especially if it is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, intelligent conversions such as the one above can boost the chances of similar projects. A lot has to do with the proposal, some people are somewhat daft in their ideas, any conversion of an older building has to be dealt with creativley and intellligently, more often than not many owners do not possess those traits.
  10. 'They used to come free with the land purchase, a few down here sit in caravan parks for tourists'. There are a number of noticeable and well converted ones on the coast between Eastbourne and Pevensey, as Ugly would well know.
  11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

There was a Grand Designs programme about one of these conversions a while back. In that case English Heritage refused permission for the building of any sort of superstructure.

On a point of order, the cannon ought to have been able to fire at least three miles - that's where the three-mile limit comes from.
  12. I saw that one. It was almost as if English Heritage and Co would rather it fell down than be put to use and preserved.
  13. Ravers

The bird wasn't trying to do anything mad at all. In fact her design was less intrusive than the one in the pics. Basically English Heritage were saying that they would not allow any work to take place as too many towers had now been converted and that they wanted to keep some in their original state for future generations.

Here is the program: Towers: Episode Information | 4Homes |
  14. Ravers

Yep. I'd forgotten about the ex squaddie with the Castle in Scotland. He came across as a bit of a twat. It was fairly obvious he would never get any planning permission but he went ahead anyway and didn't take any advice from anyone.