Mars Curiosity Rover Due To Land

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Dashing_Chap, Aug 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mars Curiosity Rover due to land circa 7 hours from this post, so it should be landing elegantly or splatting into the red Martian surface around 7am tomorrow morning GMT. The landing sequence itself is quite interesting as it involves using a parachute and then something called a skycrane which involves the rover being lowered down from a hovering platform.

NASA - Mars Science Laboratory, the Next Mars Rover

[​IMG]

It'll be the most advanced Mars mission yet, we live in interesting times.

DC

2. A video showing the landing sequence, it's pretty far fetched stuff and will be great if they can pull it off.

3. Yep, I'd mentioned this earlier today in another thread. I'll be staying up to watch the coverage. Hopefully we can at least get video from the Mars Descent Imager shortly after landing. If it lands successfully. 6 different vehicle configurations and 76 pyrotechnic devices have to function flawlessly...having worked with pyro devices on aircraft, I've seen them fail disturbingly frequently.

4. A video about what the rover can do.

5. If it's a Rover, it's bound to break down.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Eventually, but NASA's last two rovers went well over their designed lifespans. This rover is nuclear-powered rather than solar, I believe it's supposed to run for 2 years.

7. Was it made in Slough?

8. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. The landing is eagerly awaited...

[​IMG]

10. NASA has been trying to cover up this image taken by Opportunity...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  11. [​IMG]

Mars panorama by Opportunity.

[​IMG]

Santa Maria Crater full colour.

If we do ever colonise Mars it'll be a very impressive planet to live on. There's mountains and canyons bigger than anything we have on earth.

12. Imagine standing at the summit of Olympus Mons...3 times taller than Everest.

13. hmmm. the first person to piss off olympus eh?

14. I don't mean to be a stickler, but although Olympus Mons is 3 times the height of Everest it also covers a vastly larger surface area, so you would basically be on top of a wide flat plain of ground, not a recognisable point like on Earth.

15. It's the same with Valles Marineris, if you stood in the middle of it you wouldn't know it, as it is 200Km's wide.