Married soldiers not entitled to MQ's after 8 years..

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Jun 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

As said,this is going to put a lot of marraiges under strain but on the other hand,it'll force service families to look at their future plans for when the serving member leaves a lot earlier...

Apologies,it's the daily hate...

Married soldiers forced to leave Army accommodation as part of cuts to £318m housing bill | Mail Online

2. Geting rid of service accomodation has been an aim of the MoD for many years.

3. Way to go for improving recruitment.

4. I'd say this was a positive step in the right direction if handled and resourced properly. The biggest single hurdle in successfully transitioning soldiers back into civyy street is finding suitable accommodation and if we can get them into civilian housing early on (owned hopefully) then it will bring all sorts of benefits. Clearly there are obstacles to overcome, not least the provision of significant financial incentives and assistance in order to help people onto the housing ladder; and the requirement (in spite of the end of the arms plot and the intro of Super Garrisons) to still move people around the UK and elsewhere every 2 or 3 years.

Overall though, if managed properly, this should significantl benefit our soldiers.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fan-****ing-tastic for the vast majority of the Army who are trickle posted. Are you really going to expect somebody to buy/rent a new house every 2-3 years?

• Like Like x 4
  6. wages would have to rise to offset the higher costs of renting in the private sector, more so in areas like London. Some areas would see a massive shortage in rental availability due to having a garrison nearby.
    I work near Tern Hill which is home to 1 Royal Irish. Tern Hill has the barracks, the housing estate, a closed down pub and a shop. Maybe the answer in that case would be to sell the estate to a private landlord(s).
    Would we then maybe see families with no connection to the military moving onto what were msq estates? Overgrown gardens full of old sofa's and scrap cars on blocks?

7. I think I've spotted the flaw.

• Like Like x 17
  8. The nature of the job means having to move around. Persons looking for a long career stretch will not want to commit to the commercial market for housing till perhaps 5 or so years before their discharge date.

Family sepration, kids schools all have to be considered as part of the mix.

Whilst I think it is important to impress upon and provide incentives in the last few years of service to get onto the property ladder the Government is trying to do away with service housing completely.

Fecking shower the lot of them.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I assume there would be some allowance given to those working in expensive areas, it all makes sense to me 8 years is more than enough to get sorted and there is nothing wrong in renting anyway.

Edit to say, this makes sense if the MoD stick to their plan of super garrisons and having units based in locations permanently giving long term continuity and security for service families for education and spouse employment.

Sent via Tapatalk HD

10. 100% increase in interest to postings in cheap Northern areas or Scotland. 99.9% decrease in preferecnes to be based around Surrey, London or other high property value areas?

Will we see a rise in greedy landlords raising rental prices in remote areas around garrisons such as Tidworth, Warminster etc. that don't have large urban areas nearby?

How will it work for whole Regiments on roulement postings? Will there be a shortage of available housing to buy/rent as major units move almost simultaniously?

• Like Like x 3
  11. I seem to remember reading that the average length of service for most personnel is 5-8 years, so in reality the vast majority of people wont be affected by this. Add to this a reality that most Army moves will be limited as we move to super garrisons, and its probably not as bad as made out.
    How many people join these days for the accommodation? It would be useful to get an understanding of how much an appeal provision of subsidised accommodation is in an era when wives/partners often have their own career anyway and may not want to be tied to a garrison location.

• Like Like x 1
  12. On a similar not- lads in my coy have been informed that they will have to pay double on their pads as of 2015..

13. Not sure this will actually happen - the article is from February last year. I expect the amount we pay on pads will go up soon though. Pay £70 a month for mine. Rather nice it is too!

14. Good God, Sir! Whatever next? They'll soon be asking you to pay for your food.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I fully agree managed properly this will benefit many overall, however with the Germany withdrawal programme this may escalate.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)