Married Quarters

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by 2_Canadian_Beers, May 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Howdy to all, just jumped in here to ask the question about married quarters. I am just awaiting my start up date with the army and afterwards am looking at moving my 'wife to be to england' (before hand obviously getting married) But am wondering about housing and the community. You obviously will find negatives and positives where ever you go, but is there overall a closness in the 'wife community?'

Cheers 2CB

2. Hi 2CB...Congrats! I'm in roughly the same situation, except that I'm the wife-to-be, and the Tankie has been in for a while. I will be watching this thread with interest, especially if the future Mrs. Beers is from outside of the UK.

There's a lot of anxiousness that comes with bailing your home country, leaving your family/friends behind and moving into a new culture and a completely new system (I knew exacty d!ck about the military before meeting the Tankie). If I stand out, I hope it's not because I've managed to make a total a$$ of myself, as some of my brethren are famous for doing...here's to swift integration! :)

3. Hello mate, tricky question you've asked there as it differs from Regiment to Regiment. I am quite lucky as my Regiment has a really good setup to look after families' welfare, some places are terrible. It can be quite intimidating for the wives, even those who already live in the UK. I wouldn't say that there was a 'closeness' in the wives' community, even though they do share a lot in common, around here it's more like a witch's coven. You tend to find more integration with the families in overseas posts, but in the UK they pretty much get on with their own lives. I don't know if you've noticed, but many wives, especially Officer's wives, like to wear their husband's rank, taking it upon themselves to look down their nose at blokes and talk to them like sh*t. Basically, like everywhere else, you get some nice people and you get some tossers. You'll just have to bite the bullet and see how she gets on. Good luck anyway mate, hope it all works out for you. :D

4. If you can get married and "set up home" obtaining a valid postal address for a few months prior to moving into the Quater. Stay with either In laws if you don't have a house.

This means that your "first" move into "your" Army quater is from an exsisting home and you are then intitled to the Allowances .

Might be wrong now but it worked for me and Mrs OB.

5. Thanks for the information, another question to add along with this one what about base activites to be involved in, I know the 7RHA has 'Wife Days' things like that to keep them some what in touch with what is occuring for thier husbands in the field? TankieYankee, where abouts are you moving from? I am guessing America but where?

Cheers 2CB

6. Hee....good guess! I'm coming from Los Angeles.

This isn't as much of a sandbag as it seems at first. When I'm in England, people generally respond to this information by:

A) Wanting to know if I've ever seen Brad Pitt in person.
    B) Chatting about their friend or relative that currently lives here.
    C) Asking about the price of property in Florida (no idea) or here in Southern California (absurdly high in any place you'd actually want to live).
    D) Being very polite and evasive until I confirm that I did not, in fact, vote for the Redneck-in-Chief. Then they breathe more easily. :wink:

Whereabouts is your lovely bride coming from?

7. TankieYankee,

I love the questions you are asked they along the same lines as what I am asked. Though these are what are usually asked of me.

A) I love New York, I wish I could live there (my response - I am not a realy fan of New York, never been there and have no idea about it I am from Canada and the west coast of Canada)
    B) Do you like Chilli Dogs?
    C) What do you think of Bush? ( my response - well once again I am CANADIAN!)
    D) So is it cold where you are? ( My response - no it is in the high 80's right now) There response, I thought it was always cold
    E) I have a cousin in Toronto? Do you like Toronto?

So I seem to see we are in the same boat when it comes to this.
    My lovely wife to be is orginally from America, but now lives on the West Coast of British Columbia in North Vancouver.

Cheers 2CB

8. MQs vary from place to place, some are good - new but small and some are really poor. It's the luck of the draw but at least they're still provided. The advice to have an address before moving into a quarter is really good - the MOD wont pay for your 'first or last move'.
    Families tend to unite more when the soldiers are deployed, obvious - there is more need for information and support. Some units in more remote patches are communal but it is more true overseas. It depends if there's someone who's prepared to put in the effort to build a community and quite honestly we're all too busy working for that second income so we can buy a home of our own or pay the debts. Suggest you talk to the Unit Welfare office - they'll know what the housing is like and who would be friendly when your wife arrives.
    Good luck.

9. An important point. It certainly contributed to my marriage break up. We had a typical "high quality" married quarter in Germany and the "artificially high" standard of living that went with service in Germany i.e overseas allowance, cheap alcohol, petrol coupons etc.

On moving to Colchester we moved into a typical UK married quarter (a nice house but a slum compared to Germany) and faced a more "realistic" standard of living.

My ex wife took one look inside the Colchester quarter and nearly burst into tears on the spot, and that began a downward spiral. In the time it took her to walk through the front door of that house I went from being the husband who could do no wrong to the husband who could do no right, all because we were no longer as "well off and comfortable" as we were in Germany.

Of course everyone is different and 99% of people deal with that kind of disapointment and get on with things but it is worth making a note of, so people can be prepared for the changes they can face.