Married Quarters

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by Scottish_Gaz, Jun 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am about to get my first posting within the army to 27 reg Aldershot, im married with a 6 month old daughter, i will be applying for married quarters as soon as i get to my unit, but my wife and myself dont really know much about married quarters and what to expect.

Will it be furnished?
    What will we need to buy ourselfs?
    Are we giving any furniture to choose from or are the quarters already furnished?

We would basically like to know the in's and the out's as my wife would like to start preparing herself and we would like to know in advance so we can start sorting out what we need etc.

Any help would be much appreciated and any other details or hints would go a long way, thanks..

2. furnaced?

I know this is a wah! Some of the quarters should be burnt down but not sure if they should be furnaced...............................

If your really not taking the piss PM me, I will put you in touch with their families officer on Monday.

I'm not 27 but sometimes I feel I should be.

PM me mate.

3. Taking the piss? im not quite sure how im coming across that way?

I mean furnished as in furnature, ie sofa, fridge freezer, unit etc..

EDIT spelling error

4. That would be furniture then? Not furnature ?

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

6. On a serious note though Gaz, I would recommend your wife visits www.rearparty.co.uk and ask any worries she has on there, she will get a lot of good advice.

7. Hello to everybody,

I am writing from Turkey. My name is Ümit and I am translating Follow that gamel 1967 movie from English to Turkish language. I need your help. My questions is what is the meaning of MARRIED QUARTERS. There is a small conversation about this (it says that perhaps it's the married quarters)

Thanks a lot.

8. this is probably one of the oddest posts ever on arrse and it's too early to be sarcastic so:

Marriage quarters - its family accommodation for serving military personal.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Married quarters are houses or appartments for married members of the military, in places where it is reasonable to be accompanied by a family.
    It is one of those English words with many different uses:
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quarters

10. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Iyi guenler,

When the army was on the march in the good old days it was the job of the quartermaster to secure food and lodgings for the troops, who often had women in tow. This accommodation was known as quarters (it may even have been a 'quarter' of a town, cf Jewish quarter)..

You may also hear the ground where married quarters stand referred to as the 'patch'.

11. As long as it's not from the Turkish/Syrian border and the conversation is about bombing a married quarter.

12. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

With a camel bomb ridden by Bernard Bresslaw?

Carry On: DON'T Follow That Camel

13. Thank you very much.

14. Size de iyi günler..:)

Çok teşekkür ederim (Thank you very much indeed).

15. :)