Married Quarter - poor insulation-could MHS do something about it?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by IS Ski Geek, Dec 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Ok here goes. I am in an SFA. I realise I do not pay the same as a civvy for rent.

However my gas bill has at least quadrupled in the first month the winter season. I have kept checking my units and kept track. I have gone from 60 units per month to approx 300 units.

I have to keep the setting at 24 just to keep the house at 20. I would crank it right down but have a 10 week old baby to look after.

The house has a flat roof with no attic or insulation. The walls have no insulation and some of them are flat panel metal with some plaster and stones on the outside. I can feel the drafts from these parts of the walls and do not know what to do.

I have put draft excluder's on all of the doors and do not know what to do next.

Should I approach MHS and ask them to do something about it. (not exactly sure what they could do) or am I stuck as I dont pay a lot of rent.

Any help appreciated.
  2. You need to check what grading your quarter is and see the last grading report. I have included an extract of the grading criteria from JSP 464, Annex A to Chapter 1 ( The table doesn't cut and paste very well so each serial is in 4 lines, the first is the potential deficiency, the second is the points that can be scored, the third is comments or explanation. Unfortunately unless you have challenged the grade in your first 3 months you may face an uphill challenge to get a grading board to sit and review your property - if there is a genuine grading concern then use your CoC to back you up and try to get your regional Bde onside (it isn't their money/budget). I am not aware of assistance that DE/MHS couldgive if there are not actual faults rather than a crappy build quality. Good luck!

10.Loft insulation Applicable where loft insulation is less than the approved standard.
    1. Current DE Ops Housing Standard for Condition is 150mm depth, plus insulation to any tanks or pipes.

11.Double/Secondary glazing Applicable where Double/Secondary glazing is not provided for all external windows & doors (excluding garage).
    Maximum 5.
    1. One point to be awarded for each room where deficiency applies. Hall/Landing counts as one room.

12. Heating Applicable where heating system, when operated normally, fails to achieve the following temperatures.
    Maximum 5.
    1. To be interpreted as central heating from one source e.g. oil-fired, solid fuel, or storage heaters a. Hall/Kitchen/Utility Room/Toilet - 16oC. b. Sitting Room/Dining Room/Bedroom - 18oC c. Bathroom 21 oC. 2. One point for each room where heating is not provided, and one point for each degree below where heating is provided. 3. Where there is no central heating in the SFA the maximum award applies.

13. Utility usage above the Normal Assumed Consumption Applicable where Gas/ Electricity (or other fuel) usage exceeds the Normal Assumed Consumption (NAC) for the type of SFA.
    1. Does not apply to those SFA where financial assistance is given towards meeting heating costs ‘in excess of NAC’. Points not to be scored where there is evidence of extravagant use. Points can only be awarded where the NAC is exceeded. If an occupant does not use their CH system because it is considered too costly to run points cannot be awarded. In any event it is likely that Serial 11 will help offset this situation. 2. Does not apply if Ser 12 applied.
  3. I seem to recall someone I know getting a payment from the MoD because their heating bill was so obscene in winter. Sounds like a similar deal to your own problem. However, surely MHS should be able to insulate your loft and other spaces. Look for air bricks too, we've sealled ours off in the past, useing fleace matierial.
  4. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

thanks for the info. I think one of the problems is that the roof has no room for insulation. There are no access hatches and the bedrooms have the same sloping roof as the outside so I fear that the bedroom roof is just a wooden lining directly onto the tiles.
  5. Hi. Loft insulation isn’t something we do. The Insulation programme is decided by DE and MHS then undertake the work. The headline plan is on the MHS website (link below. You might need to ask your Housing Officer to see... if/when the programme gets to you. Hope this helps.
  6. IS Ski Geek - Look at the AFF article in this months Soldier magazine. The bottom line is the MOD is broke, all funding for DE new works (which it is) has been stopped, unless an urgent H&S issue. I have been there myself, so feel for you and your family - good luck!!
  7. Fixed that for you.