Married but in different services??

#1
Hi,

Can anyone lend any advice on what measures and comprimises are availible to married couples that serve in different branches of the armed forces? For example my wife is currently serving in the army (RMP) and I am applying to join the Royal Marines.

Thanks for any help.

Would it be any different if I were to join the Army instead?
 
#3
yep, that's about it. Please don't moan about it in a few months /years time on here when your lives don't synchronise and it's all someone else fault.
 
#4
eodmatt said:
yep, that's about it. Please don't moan about it in a few months /years time on here when your lives don't synchronise and it's all someone else fault.
Orite with the condescending responses....... CORRRRR!

I realise that we wont see each other much, I was just asking what the army does for married couples. I have no intention of blaming the results of my actions on others.
 
#5
they do bugger all for married couples, they will "try" to get you posted close to each other but thats just crap. The nearest I got to my hubby was 3 hours away. and just as we get that close, he goes and get posted to another country!
 
#6
Mrs_M said:
they do bugger all for married couples, they will "try" to get you posted close to each other but thats just crap. The nearest I got to my hubby was 3 hours away. and just as we get that close, he goes and get posted to another country!
Sounds about right, thanks
 
#7
Killer_Bees said:
Mrs_M said:
they do bugger all for married couples, they will "try" to get you posted close to each other but thats just crap. The nearest I got to my hubby was 3 hours away. and just as we get that close, he goes and get posted to another country!
Sounds about right, thanks
How would you know if you're not even in yet?
 
#8
Mrs_M said:
they do bugger all for married couples, they will "try" to get you posted close to each other but thats just crap. The nearest I got to my hubby was 3 hours away. and just as we get that close, he goes and get posted to another country!
Ever considered that maybe that's what he wanted?
 
#9
Rufus-T-Firefly said:
Killer_Bees said:
Mrs_M said:
they do bugger all for married couples, they will "try" to get you posted close to each other but thats just crap. The nearest I got to my hubby was 3 hours away. and just as we get that close, he goes and get posted to another country!
Sounds about right, thanks
How would you know if you're not even in yet?
Was in the TA for 3 years, I get the jist
 
#10
Killer_Bees said:
Rufus-T-Firefly said:
Killer_Bees said:
Mrs_M said:
they do bugger all for married couples, they will "try" to get you posted close to each other but thats just crap. The nearest I got to my hubby was 3 hours away. and just as we get that close, he goes and get posted to another country!
Sounds about right, thanks
How would you know if you're not even in yet?
Was in the TA for 3 years, I get the jist
I doubt you do. Have you never considered asking your wife what the score is?
 
#11
Rufus-T-Firefly said:
Mrs_M said:
they do bugger all for married couples, they will "try" to get you posted close to each other but thats just crap. The nearest I got to my hubby was 3 hours away. and just as we get that close, he goes and get posted to another country!
Ever considered that maybe that's what he wanted?
Well I did consider it, every time I got posted anywhere near, he got posted elsewhere. Can't get rid of me now though :lol:
 
#12
Rufus-T-Firefly said:
Killer_Bees said:
Rufus-T-Firefly said:
Killer_Bees said:
Mrs_M said:
they do bugger all for married couples, they will "try" to get you posted close to each other but thats just crap. The nearest I got to my hubby was 3 hours away. and just as we get that close, he goes and get posted to another country!
Sounds about right, thanks
How would you know if you're not even in yet?
Was in the TA for 3 years, I get the jist
I doubt you do. Have you never considered asking your wife what the score is?
Mate sort your life out I was just asking a simple question when I started this thread, yes I've asked her, she's at P2 and isn't really in a position to be quizing her staff.
 
#13
Rufus-T-Firefly said:
Killer_Bees said:
Rufus-T-Firefly said:
Killer_Bees said:
Mrs_M said:
they do bugger all for married couples, they will "try" to get you posted close to each other but thats just crap. The nearest I got to my hubby was 3 hours away. and just as we get that close, he goes and get posted to another country!
Sounds about right, thanks
How would you know if you're not even in yet?
Was in the TA for 3 years, I get the jist
I doubt you do. Have you never considered asking your wife what the score is?
If you want a row go to the NAAFI
 
#14
Killer_Bees said:
Rufus-T-Firefly said:
Killer_Bees said:
Rufus-T-Firefly said:
Killer_Bees said:
Mrs_M said:
they do bugger all for married couples, they will "try" to get you posted close to each other but thats just crap. The nearest I got to my hubby was 3 hours away. and just as we get that close, he goes and get posted to another country!
Sounds about right, thanks
How would you know if you're not even in yet?
Was in the TA for 3 years, I get the jist
I doubt you do. Have you never considered asking your wife what the score is?
Mate sort your life out I was just asking a simple question when I started this thread, yes I've asked her, she's at P2 and isn't really in a position to be quizing her staff.
Sort my life out? F*ck me mate, that's a bit rich coming from some nugget who doesn't understand that by joining the Navy he's unlikely to be posted anywhere near his wife who's joined the Army. Maybe if you'd sorted your life out at the start of your relationship you wouldn't be f*cked for an answer right now.
 
#15
Rufus-T-Firefly said:
Killer_Bees said:
Rufus-T-Firefly said:
Killer_Bees said:
Rufus-T-Firefly said:
Killer_Bees said:
Mrs_M said:
they do bugger all for married couples, they will "try" to get you posted close to each other but thats just crap. The nearest I got to my hubby was 3 hours away. and just as we get that close, he goes and get posted to another country!
Sounds about right, thanks
How would you know if you're not even in yet?
Was in the TA for 3 years, I get the jist
I doubt you do. Have you never considered asking your wife what the score is?
Mate sort your life out I was just asking a simple question when I started this thread, yes I've asked her, she's at P2 and isn't really in a position to be quizing her staff.
Sort my life out? F*ck me mate, that's a bit rich coming from some nugget who doesn't understand that by joining the Navy he's unlikely to be posted anywhere near his wife who's joined the Army. Maybe if you'd sorted your life out at the start of your relationship you wouldn't be f*cked for an answer right now.
yeah like I said it was a simple question that I didn't expect smart arrse comments from. The start of my relationship was six years ago and I didn't have a crystal ball to hand back then. i know its unlikely I was just trying to get a bit of background info and make an informed decision as to what service to join. So yeah sort it out, It hardly deserved a ribbing.
 
#16
If you want to increase your chances of being posted together (or close) then you have to get smart. As she is already an RMP what other Corps serve with them. How do you fancy being a clerk or a RLC driver or storeman etc. Ask her what other badges are with her unit or in the same garrison etc.
 
#17
Disco said:
If you want to increase your chances of being posted together (or close) then you have to get smart. As she is already an RMP what other Corps serve with them. How do you fancy being a clerk or a RLC driver or storeman etc. Ask her what other badges are with her unit or in the same garrison etc.
Nice one thanks,

I'm going to join the Army rather than marines now anyway (gone full 360 there)
 
#18
Killer_Bees said:
eodmatt said:
yep, that's about it. Please don't moan about it in a few months /years time on here when your lives don't synchronise and it's all someone else fault.
Orite with the condescending responses....... CORRRRR!

I realise that we wont see each other much, I was just asking what the army does for married couples. I have no intention of blaming the results of my actions on others.
My post was certainly not condescending, it was merely a request based on experience of people in similar circumstances and a practical knowledge of human nature. As demonstrated by your response.
 
#19
eodmatt said:
Killer_Bees said:
eodmatt said:
yep, that's about it. Please don't moan about it in a few months /years time on here when your lives don't synchronise and it's all someone else fault.
Orite with the condescending responses....... CORRRRR!

I realise that we wont see each other much, I was just asking what the army does for married couples. I have no intention of blaming the results of my actions on others.
My post was certainly not condescending, it was merely a request based on experience of people in similar circumstances and a practical knowledge of human nature. As demonstrated by your response.
Seen x
 
#20
From experience - if you join the Army but another capbadge than RMP you have roughly a 60% chance of being in the same theatre, 40% chance of same area/region (commutable) and 20% chance of same garrison. You can improve these odds by joining RMP - with the same desk officer working for both of you it is much easier to get a posting together - unless of course one of you accelerates promotion wise which often causes problems.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads