Marriage in the Middle East "Their Rules"

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by CharlieBubbles, Mar 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RIYADH (AFP) - An 11-year-old boy has married his 10-year-old cousin in the ultra-conservative Muslim kingdom of Saudi Arabia, a newspaper reported on Tuesday.

Mohammed al-Rashidi and his unidentified cousin will seal the marriage they contracted under the sharia laws of Islam and move in together after a ceremony to take place in the summer, Al-Shams newspaper said.

"I am ready for this marriage. It will help me study better," Mohammed, who goes to primary school in the northern province of Hail, was quoted as saying by Al-Shams.

"I invite all my classmates to do like me," the boy said, adding that he wanted to "crown a love story through marriage".

The schoolboy's father, Muraizak al-Rashidi, told the newspaper he was busy sending out invitations for a summer celebration to seal the marriage.

Dahim al-Jaber, the headmaster at Mohammed's school, said marriage at such a young age was "inappropriate" but wished the couple a happy life together.

2. well, what's newsworthy - didn't we used to do the same type of thing some 500 years ago?

3. 500 years? mybe the starter of this thread could post about some of the marriage practices of certain 'christian' groups in the west over the last few years as well? if he wants to show some classic examples of ignorance, child abuse and religious extreamist belief.

4. Well, if it's ok in Dewsbury, then why not in Saudi.

5. Dunno about Saudi, but in rural areas of India & Pakistan its not uncommon for very young children to be married. After the ceremony they will then return to their parental homes until they reach their early to mid teens.

6. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

My western morals (yes I DO have some ;) ) are less offended by two children of similar age marrying than by a girl of 18 marrying a much older man (that said I maintain the right to change my mind when I'm 60 :twisted: ). Actually I think it's rather cute...

8. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Well spoted...lol...

9. There's nothing cute about a ten year old girl forced to have sex.
    There's nothing cute about deformities in children due to inbreeding.
    There's nothing cute in a little girl's childhood ending aged ten and having to leave her family to wait on her husband's family.
    So you are less offended by a ten year old girl marrying a lad her own age than an 18 year old girl marrying a 60 year old man?
    How about an old man marrying a 6 year old and raping her when she's an 8 year old? Would that offend you?

10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Very hard to say, I have to say while not wanting my daughter to marry at 6 and have sex at 8 (are you talking about Aisha by the way?), I'd have less problem historically if she had become a woman by that age i.e. the boundary that nature places rather than a more arbitrary criteria. That said a girl entering puberty at 8 is a rare phenomena, are you sure she wasn't nine? I’m not so up on the ages exactly, tho’ I do know she lived with the prophet as part of his family for some years before the marriage was consummated. Personally I have never understood the cross cultural fixation upon virgins; I married a widow.

11. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Actually I disagree, (having a sister in law and brother in law both married to first cousins)...I do think that these two marrying is cute, and like I say I think in the relevant culture it's actually quite a romantic story. Good luck to them I say, I hope their marriage is happy, long, and fruitful...

12. A romantic story? The child is ten years old and will soon be expected to have sex with her husband and no longer live under the protection of her parents. There is nothing romantic about this.
    Inbreeding produces a high level of disabled children. Disability that could easily be avoided and disability that burdens the NHS.
    No child has become a woman aged eight.
    Aisha was married by your old man prophet at 6 years of age and he had sex with her when she was a little girl of nine years old.
    Are you a paedophile yourself or just a paedophile follower?

13. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

By your definition (tho' obviously not mine) I guess you'd put me in the paedophile follower category. Not one that sits particularly well with me nor fits my grasp on the historicity, but I guess as you're setting the criteria, that's the one I'd fit into.

14. Not sure if you are on about Saudi or any town in the UK?

Get off your soapbox, poindexter.

I cant see much difference to how kids in this country act. The only difference is they dont marry that young, they just drop sprogs alles uber de platz then appear on Jeremy Kyle.