Marraige before or after basic training?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Wilcock, Feb 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, an ex soldier recently told me to scrap my plans of marrying my partner after basic training and to do it beforehand because a married soldier doesnt pay accomodation and food during training whereas a married soldier pays everything. Is this correct? And is it better to be married before after I join with regards to marraige quarters.. any help is much appreciated.
  2. Got a 1 year old too... :)
  3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Yep. Get married before you go. Have a beer for me.
  4. Leave her at home, send money for the wee one, go to Germany, shag entire German female population.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I got married after basic. I was given stuff like Get You Home Pay (provided you're paying council tax on a property away from your base or Phase 2 establishment) which came to something like £210.

If you get married before, when you reach your Phase 2 training place (if you're on a long course, like some REME trades or Techs and wobbly-heads in the Signals) you can get married quarters there, which save you a lot of money each month compared to renting outside the wire so to speak. On the other hand you do have the risk of getting given a horrible house, though anything feels like home if you spend enough time in it.

Either choice is fine mate. Not being married at when you're at Phase 1 doesn't affect you financially (apart from the obvious paying for what you already do).
  6. How long have you been with your partner? Will he/she cope with you being away? No trying to stir you away id go ahead with Phase 1 and 2 first then get married after. You need to concentrate on your training and ensure you can do the best you can.
  7. DISCO. Clear up in aisle 3 please.

make it stop.jpg
  8. I only saved £1200 during basic as they kept most of our money back for us , but still not hardly enough to have a wedding with.

How much did you save during basic? Maybe you did a lot better than me?
  9. What the **** are you blathering about? For Christ's sake, if you're man enough to join up you're man enough to decide for yourself when you want to marry the mother of your child. Stop ******* around asking stupid questions and reading stupid answers from fucked up folk, and do what YOU need to do when YOU need to do it.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Christ, it's no wonder in going ******* batshit crazy.
  11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

registry office and a quick do down the pub or kfc drive through, when your sorted and in uniform get a proper blessing and decent pics.
  12. Good to see the old "Wanna go halves in a bastard?" line still bears fruit. Well done that man.
  13. Get married before. If Phase 1 kills you, she'll get a pension.
  14. Please note: Tango Lima is only just 17 and has yet to do selection, never mind basic!
  15. And there was me thinking romance was dead
    • Like Like x 1