Marraige before or after basic training?

Hi, an ex soldier recently told me to scrap my plans of marrying my partner after basic training and to do it beforehand because a married soldier doesnt pay accomodation and food during training whereas a married soldier pays everything. Is this correct? And is it better to be married before after I join with regards to marraige quarters.. any help is much appreciated.
Thanks

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yep. Get married before you go. Have a beer for me.

Leave her at home, send money for the wee one, go to Germany, shag entire German female population.

I got married after basic. I was given stuff like Get You Home Pay (provided you're paying council tax on a property away from your base or Phase 2 establishment) which came to something like £210.

If you get married before, when you reach your Phase 2 training place (if you're on a long course, like some REME trades or Techs and wobbly-heads in the Signals) you can get married quarters there, which save you a lot of money each month compared to renting outside the wire so to speak. On the other hand you do have the risk of getting given a horrible house, though anything feels like home if you spend enough time in it.

Either choice is fine mate. Not being married at when you're at Phase 1 doesn't affect you financially (apart from the obvious paying for what you already do).

How long have you been with your partner? Will he/she cope with you being away? No trying to stir you away id go ahead with Phase 1 and 2 first then get married after. You need to concentrate on your training and ensure you can do the best you can.

DISCO. Clear up in aisle 3 please.

make it stop.jpg

S

syledis

Take him on the lash too?

Serious note getting married is alot of beer tokens. If it was me id use my pay from basic to help fund it. Theres only so much fizzy juice and boot polish a man can need so start saving when you get there.
I only saved £1200 during basic as they kept most of our money back for us , but still not hardly enough to have a wedding with.

How much did you save during basic? Maybe you did a lot better than me?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
What the **** are you blathering about? For Christ's sake, if you're man enough to join up you're man enough to decide for yourself when you want to marry the mother of your child. Stop ******* around asking stupid questions and reading stupid answers from fucked up folk, and do what YOU need to do when YOU need to do it.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
registry office and a quick do down the pub or kfc drive through, when your sorted and in uniform get a proper blessing and decent pics.

Get married before. If Phase 1 kills you, she'll get a pension.

I only saved £1200 during basic as they kept most of our money back for us , but still not hardly enough to have a wedding with.

How much did you save during basic? Maybe you did a lot better than me?
Please note: Tango Lima is only just 17 and has yet to do selection, never mind basic!

What the **** are you blathering about? For Christ's sake, if you're man enough to join up you're man enough to decide for yourself when you want to marry the mother of your child. Stop ******* around asking stupid questions and reading stupid answers from fucked up folk, and do what YOU need to do when YOU need to do it.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Good day to you, my sweetness and lightness!!!

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
During both my stints serving I was married although at times, at Worthy Down, it didn't feel like it.

Sluggy, if that was you in 1989 do you want your butt plug back?

During both my stints serving I was married although at times, at Worthy Down, it didn't feel like it.

Sluggy, if that was you in 1989 do you want your butt plug back?
I've just had a horrible thought - it wasn't April 1989, was it?!

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
I deny everything, the kids not mine.

Do you still that thing with your tongue?