Marmite mushrooms

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by spike7451, May 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Mushrooms, as many as you like

Butter, tblsp

Marmite

Black pepper

Method

Wipe the mushrooms with a paper towel to clean them — don’t wash as they will lose their flavour. Melt a large knob of butter in a frying pan and roughly chop the mushrooms into quarters.

Sauté the mushrooms until cooked. Season with a little black pepper; no need to add salt.

Add a couple of heaped teaspoons of Marmite and stir over a low heat until the mushrooms are coated and a lovely golden brown colour. Serve on buttered toast or crumpets or with a full English breakfast.

2. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D

sounds delicious!

3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

It is,plus if you dont wash the pan immidiatly after but bung some bacon in,you'll get lovurly Marmitey Bacon...!!

4. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Thanks Spike, will give that a go :D

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Don't tell banjotrooper he'll be making headstones out of them :D

6. Just tried it for my lunch, complete with the bacon addition, brilliant!

7. Can Bovril be substituted for Marmite?

8. Sounds devine :) but isn't the marmite bacon enough salt to give the strongest of hearts a tough time? I'll be trying it anyway. It'd be the missis' worst nightmare though, her two most hated foods together in the same pan, mushrooms and marmite, yummy. Have you tried the marmite snacks and the marmite cheese?? food of kings

9. Good microwave snack too.

Bowl, mushrooms, butter, marmite, zap for 20-30 seconds.

Yeah, I'm a heathen singly !!!

10. Only if you are gay.

11. Damn! :x

12. How do you make those Marmite spuds they dish up in the Mess? The little square thingies. One of my favourites.

13. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Make roasties as normal & 5 min before serving,brush with Marmite.

14. Did anybody have any of those special edition jars they did with a touch of champagne in them? Not as good as the original IMHO.

Now the marmite cheese biscuits.........scrummy!

15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I have a half used jar of it in the pantry,not impressed with it in all honesty.It tastes...weird.Would've loved to have tried the Guiness one tho.