Marmite: Best Before dates?

I have just cleared the house belonging to a deceased Aunt. Right at the back of one of the kitchen cupboards, I found a jar of Marmite with a BBE date of 12/99.

Marmite jar.jpg

It is fully sealed, with an intact plastic cap, and I was sufficiently intrigued to keep it.

The big questions are:

• Does Marmite go off?
  • Is it still edible?
  • Bread, toast, cracker or Ryvita?
  • Will I die if I try it?
  • Will I have to declare this as a valuable asset to those money grabbing thieves called HMRC?

Grateful for advice...

Lits

I thought this was going to be a thread about the benefits (or otherwise) of having Marmite breath prior to snogging.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
it'll be fine, nothing on earth can grow on marmite.

its a best before date. a bit like throwing yogurt away 2 days after its best before - its rotten milk whats going to happen to it?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
there might even be a vintage marmite buyer out there.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
If it blows off gas when you open it, it's been fermenting for 13 years. Use it for cooking.

If it doesn't, use it in whatever way you want.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I remember as kid there was allways a jar of historic marmite in everyones larder next to the heinz sandwich spread. nothing seemed to off back them.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Your Auntie was very wise.
How do you know that? She is ******* dead so it is not exactly like you can ask her is it you heartless bastard.

Thoughts with the family RIP and that.

Right. You require...

A big slice of brown bread. Toasted.

Butter. You need to see your teeth marks in the butter so do not be shy.

Marmite. Slap it on.

Scarf.

• Does Marmite go off?
  • Is it still edible?
  • Bread, toast, cracker or Ryvita?
  • Will I die if I try it?
  • Will I have to declare this as a valuable asset to those money grabbing thieves called HMRC?
1. As noted by GG: "BEST BEFORE END". Apparently not. (I'd guess the salt stops any bugs.)
2. See [1.]
3. Toast, lightly buttered.
4. See [1.]
5. Not if you eat it first!

Mmmm, Marmite... :)

Providing the seal to the jar is intact and the cap is not domed it will be perfectly usable. If, however when you open it, there is an acrid smell of stale beer it has fermented and should be binned. If you choose to use it you will be living in the smallest room of your house for the foreseeable future and your derrière will be trying to drink the water out of the toilet bowl.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The Best Before date for Marmite is the date before​ it is made :tp:

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
a layer of mayonnaise is an excellent addition to marmite on toast, makes it creamy and tangy

Talking of things fermented:
The resulting product was so strong that it was considered inedible, and a barrel of the sauce was exiled to the basement of Lea & Perrins' premises. Looking to make space in the storage area a few years later, the chemists decided to try it again, discovering that the sauce had fermented and mellowed and was now palatable. In 1838 the first bottles of "Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce" were released to the general public.
Worcestershire sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Providing the seal to the jar is intact and the cap is not domed it will be perfectly usable. If, however when you open it, there is an acrid smell of stale beer it has fermented and should be binned. If you choose to use it you will be living in the smallest room of your house for the foreseeable future and your derrière will be trying to drink the water out of the toilet bowl.
Thanks. Next time we require the opinion of girls we shall ask Gok Wan to find us one.

Slice of toast lightly buttered. Slap of Marmite. Slabs of mature cheddar on top. Slam it under the grill and toast. Allow to cool and scarf. If done correctly your cheese and Marmite should hurt.

FFSW you do realise you have the next best thing to a golden meteorite?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
thebutlerdidit The Intelligence Cell 43
wessex_warrior The NAAFI Bar 113
snapper Current Affairs, News and Analysis 22