Marksmanship Principles

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by happysapper558, Sep 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys.

I have been asked to give a lesson on the marksmanship principles next week and just wondering if someone can give me any tips/help/advice on how to make it a good lesson and any ideas on what to do?

It's for nothing other than a refresher for the lads in the troop but i still want to make it good and put some effort in.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. Yes let a skiller do it

3. Why?

4. I agree with Darkninja, people have qualifications for a reason. Teach something you're not qualified in, have someone **** up, then see who's fault it is.

5. Do you really need a SAA geek to do a quick revise and remind on Marksmanship doesn't really need a SAA qualified bloke, its the sort of thing we used to get the JNCOs to do at the back of the range as a pocket lesson.

The best one I have ever seen was done in the bar with the use of a young lady, very un PC but with a Beer in hand it just seemed to stick for some reason

6. I'm not SAA or even army BIT trained, but as a civvie teacher, I consider any good lesson must have the following formula embedded in it:
    1) sharing of the lesson objectives and success criteria. eg: by the end of this lesson you will know/be able to...
    2) a brief lesson outline. eg. basic timings and review points
    3) Initial Stimulus Material (often called a 'starter') - something interested and connected with what you're going to do, I don't know - work out how much of the 3rd Soviet shock army you would have had to face with/without good SAA drills, or paors to come up with a principle to share with everyone, anything.
    4) Regular mini reviews after each task - if you've ever watched 'Dora the Explorer', it is a great example of this.
    5) Short tasks, broken down into appropriate chunks, modelled (demonstrated) by you/your assistant, then attempted by them
    6) If appropriate/desirable an extended task, bringing all the lesson's skills/knowledge into play and building on previous skills/knowledge
    7) a 'Plenary' - or overall review of what you've done and why

No doubt this isn't precisely how it tells you to do it in the PAM or whatever, and isn't in 'Armyspeak' but learing has been done in this form since Hippocrates was a nipper.

7. Waitout: The best one I have ever seen was done in the bar with the use of a young lady, very un PC but with a Beer in hand it just seemed to stick for some reason

Is that the best you have seen? I think the word I was looking for was proffessionalism but yours is so much better!

8. We all know the DITs format is rubbish Shandy but the army seem to like it.

I did my dit's on month, the next month I was on another instructor course and was told to forget it.

9. well, its one saving grace is perhaps its simplicity?
    TBH - I am well out of touch, as I left in '02 - I never heard of DIT, only BIT - I take it to be the same thing, different acronym?
    However, I think the points I went through above stand scrutiny in any learning environment.

10. I've a mate who also uses the un PC/female method...very memorable but has resulted in more than one interview without tea and biscuits.

11. [nowah]

It became "Defence" Instructional Techniques, just as Service Writing became Defence Writing, Systems Approach to Training became DSAT & so on...

[/nowah]

12. Just make the lesson as practical as you can. Its one thing to write them up on the board and get them to learn it word for word, another to actually get them into different firing positions to simulate how the principles are to be applied.

13. I'd rather a skilly was doing it but we all got dicked with a subject to do a lesson on and i was given marksmanship principles.

Got the Pam so should be pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the replies

14. Just remember KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid! Its a very basic lesson so keep the core lesson simple, add humour and practical exercises to make it interesting and memorable.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Surely if he doesn't know them, he shouldn't be teaching/revising or saying anything about them?

But if all blokes, I have used the having a pee as an example (humour)