Marksman - what the hell is that?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Meum_Cerebrum_Nocet, May 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I saw a lad on camp wearing his No.2 dress with a badge (crossed rifles) on his sleeve. What's the score with that? I thought that was just something they did at an ATR for those who scored well in their first APWT?

Do you get to keep the badge for good, or shoot brilliantly in every APWT to keep the badge or what? The lad was fairly old, must have been in for a while.

2. I seem to recall that the badge is presented on an annual basis to people who score above 90% (?) on the APWT. But it is a rarely used award.

Standing by for corrections.

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but wasn't there a plan to have snipers on the cheap within the MOD recently?

I think the idea was that each platoon would have designated 'marksmen' who would have use of the L96 in 7.62 calibre to provide sniper-lite duties.

The battalion would still have the usual sniper assets, but using the .338 and .50 calibre weapons and undergo the full sniper badge tests, whereas the 'marksmen' would be sharp-shooting infanteers and not undergo the full monty.

Other than that, I concur that as it stands at this time, the 'marksman' badge is given to those who score very, very highly in shooting tests, and I think it's redone every year.

4. Am I right in thinking if you get awarded 3 in a row you can keep the badge on your sleeve without having to pass another APWT?

5. That's also what I thought. You hear all kinds of things though so......anyone know for sure?

6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The badge is that of someone classed as 'Marksman' and the previous posts are correct about scoring.
    I have no idea what the criteria is now, but during my service it was a common enough badge, particularly in my regiment. And if was competed for every year. Heaven help the N.c.o who didn't have one.

• Like Like x 3
  7. There is so much rumour control about medals, badges, bars, little numeral thingies etc etc etc that I sometimes wonder whether ANYONE actually knows what's true and what's bollocks - including the people at the MOD responsible for such things!

8. From Army Operational Shooting Policy for APWT (CI)

Marksman (Combat Infantryman). To qualify for Marksman all practices
    are to be completed and the firer must achieve a score of 55 (85%) or more of the total HPS (65) for the entire shoot. Soldiers achieving a non-marksman passing score are NOT permitted to re-shoot practices in order to qualify for Marksman. Infantry soldiers who qualify as Marksmen during the CIC are entitled to retain the award on joining their units. Soldiers who
    qualify as Marksmen are entitled to wear the Marksman badge for one year
    before they must requalify.

Page 3 - 70
    Amdt 1/Feb/07

9. Cheers easesprings

10. Wearing of the marksman badge was encouraged in my battalion to help improve the standard of shooting. I mean, its the game we are in so why not encourage it regardless of what the detractors (piss-poor-shots) say.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Off to sign out a life now

12. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Nah. Don't change, not for us.

13. Why what do you want to know

14. I saw a bloke with that during my training he was REME and when i inquired he told me it was a skill at arms instructors badge, it was actually on his rank slide. (Probably wrong so prepared for incoming)

15. As far as I am aware the SAA and Marksman badge are the same. The only distinction is where its worn.

SAA upper arm.

Marksman on wrist.

• Like Like x 1