Marksman - what the hell is that?

I saw a lad on camp wearing his No.2 dress with a badge (crossed rifles) on his sleeve. What's the score with that? I thought that was just something they did at an ATR for those who scored well in their first APWT?

Do you get to keep the badge for good, or shoot brilliantly in every APWT to keep the badge or what? The lad was fairly old, must have been in for a while.

I seem to recall that the badge is presented on an annual basis to people who score above 90% (?) on the APWT. But it is a rarely used award.

Standing by for corrections.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but wasn't there a plan to have snipers on the cheap within the MOD recently?

I think the idea was that each platoon would have designated 'marksmen' who would have use of the L96 in 7.62 calibre to provide sniper-lite duties.

The battalion would still have the usual sniper assets, but using the .338 and .50 calibre weapons and undergo the full sniper badge tests, whereas the 'marksmen' would be sharp-shooting infanteers and not undergo the full monty.

Other than that, I concur that as it stands at this time, the 'marksman' badge is given to those who score very, very highly in shooting tests, and I think it's redone every year.

Am I right in thinking if you get awarded 3 in a row you can keep the badge on your sleeve without having to pass another APWT?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The badge is that of someone classed as 'Marksman' and the previous posts are correct about scoring.
I have no idea what the criteria is now, but during my service it was a common enough badge, particularly in my regiment. And if was competed for every year. Heaven help the N.c.o who didn't have one.

There is so much rumour control about medals, badges, bars, little numeral thingies etc etc etc that I sometimes wonder whether ANYONE actually knows what's true and what's bollocks - including the people at the MOD responsible for such things!

From Army Operational Shooting Policy for APWT (CI)

Marksman (Combat Infantryman). To qualify for Marksman all practices
are to be completed and the firer must achieve a score of 55 (85%) or more of the total HPS (65) for the entire shoot. Soldiers achieving a non-marksman passing score are NOT permitted to re-shoot practices in order to qualify for Marksman. Infantry soldiers who qualify as Marksmen during the CIC are entitled to retain the award on joining their units. Soldiers who
qualify as Marksmen are entitled to wear the Marksman badge for one year
before they must requalify.

Page 3 - 70
Amdt 1/Feb/07

easesprings said:

are to be completed and the firer must achieve a score of 55 (85%) or more of the total HPS (65) for the entire shoot. Soldiers achieving a non-marksman passing score are NOT permitted to re-shoot practices in order to qualify for Marksman. Infantry soldiers who qualify as Marksmen during the CIC are entitled to retain the award on joining their units. Soldiers who

Page 3 - 70
Amdt 1/Feb/07
Cheers easesprings

old_fat_and_hairy said:
The badge is that of someone classed as 'Marksman' and the previous posts are correct about scoring.
I have no idea what the criteria is now, but during my service it was a common enough badge, particularly in my regiment. And if was competed for every year. Heaven help the N.c.o who didn't have one.
Wearing of the marksman badge was encouraged in my battalion to help improve the standard of shooting. I mean, its the game we are in so why not encourage it regardless of what the detractors (piss-poor-shots) say.

Meum_Cerebrum_Nocet said:
easesprings said:

Page 3 - 70
Amdt 1/Feb/07
Cheers easesprings
Off to sign out a life now

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
easesprings said:
easesprings said:

Page 3 - 70
Amdt 1/Feb/07
Cheers easesprings
Nah. Don't change, not for us.

old_fat_and_hairy said:
easesprings said:
easesprings said:

Page 3 - 70
Amdt 1/Feb/07
Cheers easesprings
Nah. Don't change, not for us.
Why what do you want to know

I saw a bloke with that during my training he was REME and when i inquired he told me it was a skill at arms instructors badge, it was actually on his rank slide. (Probably wrong so prepared for incoming)

As far as I am aware the SAA and Marksman badge are the same. The only distinction is where its worn.

SAA upper arm.

Marksman on wrist.

different badge :D

the marksman badge is quite easily attainable, the APWT has become even easier over the last couple of years, its now just a case of coverting brass, initially saw a couple of lads with the badge but over the last 4/5 years dont think ive seen anyone wearing it, thankfully

ugly

LE
Yes the SAA badge is or was crossed rifles above your rank provided you didnt have other trade badges already, the difference being that NCO's do SAA as a career course where everybody should aspire to achieve marksman. The SAA is or was the first 6 weeks of NCO Tac wing before Brecon phase. Ergo passing it was a requirement for IMRO to allow substantive rank. You couldnt pass SAA, Fail Brecon and be promoted!
Therefore you shouldnt have been able to see anyone below full cpl with the crossed rifles above their rank. Some Corps made SAA a career option for Sgt I believe!

ugly

LE
I actually passed my first APWT as a Marksman but as it was in IJLB we had to pass 3 before being allowed to be rated as such. I couldnt quite manage it and it was the old SLR!

HPS - 65? An odd figure although I'm decades out of date. Last time I recall it was 20 rounds, standing, at 100 yards (easier than metres!) at a 6 inch circle on a Slim Jim. 19 got you the cuddly toy. 18 and you were on the bell all night.