Marksman Badge

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by skintboymike, Apr 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last week I passed my APWT with a score of 40 with an iron sight, rumour has it that I should now display a badge on my no. 2's to show this. I'd always thought we had to achieve a minimum score for three consecutive years to wear the badge, has this changed? I got a marksman score for two years on the bounce after Phase 1 training, on the third year I was all set for a hat-trick until our SSM called off the night shoot, as everyone had already passed with the day shoot. I was a bit gutted, but soon forgot about it. Ten years on and I hadn't thought about it, until last week when a couple of lads were chatting on the range. Whilst we're on the topic, what does the badge look like and where is it worn? Before anyone has a dig at me for badge hunting, I'm just trying to lessen the amount of port bottles I'll be fined at the upcoming regi dinner for incorrect dress!
  2. Marksman is 40 without night shoot so you would have s**t out anyway mate
  3. that's another thing, are night shoots still a part of it or not?
  4. 11D

11D Old-Salt

Can anyone clarify the rules and regulations of the wearing of the marskman badge?

I seem to remember guys from basic trg wearing it on the No 2 Dress on pass out pde.

Also there was a pic of Wills wearing his at Sandhurst.

Are Officers entitled to wear it also??
  5. Pretty positive it's 37 for a marksman's pass with iron sight.

Badge cannot be worn in perpetuity, it has to be earned yearly.

If you do wear it though, be prepared for a slagging as only walts and non deployable virgins wear it!

Shoot less, drink more, followed by more female penetration.
  6. 11D

11D Old-Salt

wa'h free whats a walt?
  7. No. But he's not commissioned yet. If he is wearing one that will be cause RMAS have now decided that O/Cdts will wear them once qualified.

In practice, most units don't seem to bother with marksman badges, after all its only No 2 dress / No 1 dress that you would wear it in now, and the tailoring / admin effort is probably more than most units can be bothered with. Doesn't make it right, but there you go.
  8. I thought nobody bothered with this badge any more, Ive not seen it for years.Surely it only meant your mates were running the butts or the consul? Plus you got dicked for the coy shooting team
  9. Its still presented, no reason why it shouldn't and if done by the OC/CO etc gives some junior soldiers a sense of achievment. Given the crap standards in some units I see no reason to mock those that achieve it.
  10. 11D

11D Old-Salt

So Officers' Can't wear i then? Thought all ranks could?? One of our officers wears his 100 badge
  11. Your SAA instructor should clear it for you to wear.
  12. With the exception of a very few qualifications (ATO, AD, Para, Cdo, SWD and the like) offrs don't wear "standards" patches (All offrs are eagle-eyed snipers of the first water anyway) but the Army 100 is a an exception: its an award rather than a qualification.
  13. Haha,

Thats my PC covered in coffee!!

Very true
  14. :?

i cant ever actually recal seeing anyone wearing the marksman badge :?

maybe we are all crap shots :D
  15. Left Sleeve of your twos, crossed rifles.