Marks & Spencers: "UK Military ID cards not good enough"

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Navy1, Nov 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Flying back to A'Stan on Mon so popped into Marks & Spencers, Hedge End, Southampton, to buy some Euros and dollars. Despite a sign saying currency can only be purchased with appropriate ID, and explicitly listing Passport, Driving License and Armed Forces ID Card, when I offered the latter (having neither passport nor driver's license with me) I was told:

"That is no longer considered by Marks & Spencer's to be suitable personal identification"

When I pointed out that I just purchased food shopping for more money than the value of the currency that I wanted to buy, and hadn't been asked for any additional ID, I was told:

"Those are the rules and Head Office have decided military ID cards aren't good enough"

Nice in the week that we remember our war dead that a major high street store, one founded by a russian Jewish refugee, decides that the proof our military service, which is good enough for entry into highly classified areas, which gets the holder numerous discounts in the US (just got back from a visit there), is no longer good enough.

Very disappointed in them.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. **** my old boots, this one again.
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Army ID is not official ID. Bit of a non-story to start with really.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sounds like a job for the Sunday Sport
  5. Hang on, I'll have a word with CMD see if he can get a petition going to make them change their minds!
  6. coz its tommy this an tommy that
    • Like Like x 7
  7. No.We need a television production company that would do a programme about it,because it's clearly an outrage.
    If only I could think of such a company that wasn't doing much else at the moment.
    • Like Like x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Oooh oooh Me Me I know this one!!! Errrrr Ladyship produckshuns?
  9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Well done Marks and Sparks - the MOD90 is NOT an officially recognised form of identity, and never has been. It is intended for Official Use Only, I think you'll find, not to make it easy for people to buy booze and tabs.
  10. Its a bit of plastic in your wallet like that other bit of plastic your driving licence, one works one doesn't. Get over it

11. Talking about that, they seem to have fixed their website...omitting their lovely staff pictures.
  12. I wonder why?..................:)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I offered mine as proof of age to get into a club and got barred instead.
  14. "Door policy mate. No trainers,no *****"
    • Like Like x 12