Marking Ortlieb Map Cases

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by cheese, Apr 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any advice on markign Ortlieb map cases, and more pressing how to clean your recently returned one that's covered in black permanent lumo markings?
  2. A luminous black pen? That is impressive.
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Acetone - make sure you wash it all off with soapy water afterwards.
  4. cigarette ash and spit... really. I always have a smoker in my section just for tht purpose.

Or acetone, nail polish remover or simlar. ASAP, before it marks the plastic.

Then slap the guy you lent it to.
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Or just go outside in the rain at the moment....... :D
  6. I still have map markings on my case which afforded me a Freddy Fail for a command appointment at Jnrs.

If I could only clean that sh1t off............... :x
  7. write over the permanent stuff with dry wipe pen, then wipe off the whole lot together :)

white spirit has also been known to be of use.
  8. Neither work in real life. My mapcase is a constant stained reminder of my innability to give a decent set of Recce orders after 36 hours on the advance :D
  9. lumocolour ;)

thanks very much, will try them out. He has had it for about 2 weeks...
  10. PS any hints for how to mark them in future, for myself and the offender?
  11. May i suggest that, if the offender has returned said item in dog order without replacing it, perhaps you could use his blood to mark it next time.

Just a thought
  12. Squirting a bit of deodorant on the map case and wiping it off, or using a rubber (pencil eraser) to rub it off are personal favourites
  13. Try writing on them with a chinagraph pencil.
  14. Second therealbigdizzle's suggestion.........rubbing over with non-permanent marker takes the permanent stuff off....magic :D
  15. Simple permanent marker to mark it in the future. Will rub off in time. To clean fully some camera lens cleaners with Isopropyl Alcohol in. Be careful of the acetone; it can damage the fabric over time. As someone mentioned - wash it afterwards.