Market Garden Reading List

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Pteranadon, Mar 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need to mug up on Op Market Garden, and would ideillay like to know more about the satory from the US point oif view. Can anyone suggest reading beyond the obvious (Bridge too far - Never snows in Septmber etc).
  2. Donald Burgett's book on MG.
    Fighting with the Screaming Eagles-Robert Bowen.
    Parachute Infantry - David Wenster (BoB-fame)
    All American - Nordyke (Best read of anunit EVER)
    Maj. Holt's battlefield guides, full of info as well as a very good way of stomping around Eindhoven, Veghel, Grave and Nijmegen.
    Then & Now, a must-have if you are serious about the battle.

etc etc etc

Sorry: it's WeBster.

Mong spelling.
  3. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

I've not personally read much about the US perspective as it doesn't count.

Good books about Market Garden from any perspective though:

Arnhem Lift - Louis Hagan
    Arnhem 1944 - Janusz Piiekalkiewicz
    Lion with blue wings - Ronald Seth
    Holland Patch - Simon Haines
    The Red Beret - Hiliary st George Saunders (covers pegasus - sicily etc but a few chapters on Arnhem)
    Devils Birthday - Geoffrey Powell
    Never snows in Spetember - Robery J Kershaw
  4. Echoes from Arnhem - Lewis Golden
  5. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

£14.75 for a used hardback on Amazon.
  6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

There is actually quite a lot here on Arrse so it might be worth doing a search - many of the posts include book references.

Be very wary of the 'American' perspective, especially those written in the 60s to 80s as a lot of time and trouble was expended on trashing the Brits rather than discussing the actual Battle. I understand where PG is coming from in saying that the US involvements didn't count, but on the ground the Yanks did a hell of a lot and basically what was asked of them, if not more.

Just my opinion, yours may be different :)
  7. Arnhem 1944 - William F Buckingham
  8. Thanks - great help.

9. I have just ordered some of the suggestions. BTW ex libary copy of Echoes from Normandy is £9.00 plus £3.55 postage via abe books..
  10. Arnhem 1944, Martin Middlebrook is probably the best one.

Glider pilots at Arnhem, Maj Mike Peters and Luuk Buist is very good.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Love the way people actually read what the question is, before popping off at all and sundry.

101st Airborne fcuked up by not deploying rapidly enough to the bridge over the Wilhemina canal.
    82nd were absolutely marvellous in all aspects, hats off to a very good Division. Best fighting division in ETO, together with the Gross Deautschland and 6th Airborne.
    1st Airborne lacked decent command and control when the Bosses went walkabout.
  12. And your answer to the OP's request is?

...popping off at all and sundry indeed!
  13. I've not read these but got them from the bibliography of William F. Buckingham's Arnhem 1944, hope it helps.

Ridgeway's Paratroopers: The American Airborne in World War II. By Clay Blair.

On to Berlin: Battles of an Airborne Commander 1943-46. By James M. Gavin.

US Army Airborne 1940-90. By Gordon Rottman.

Rendevous With Destiny: A History of the 101st Airborne Division. By Leonard Rapport
    AndArthur Northwood Jnr.