Market exploration: forward surgical capability

Though this is obviously overkill and probably not what is envisaged, it does show what can be achieved, and the concept of a flying hospital.

With the recent COVID crisis airlines have been downsizing and comparatively low time large aircraft are going cheap.

Size wise one can scale up from something like a Shorts Skyvan, through C-130, C-17, C-5 for aircraft that are rugged and have short rough field capability.

1594223563167.png

Job jobbed.
Next.

So there are thoughts of inventing ISO containers/box bodies that can somehow get bigger ?

please tell me this is basically a tender that just because the British Army doesn’t have these or because they aren’t made in the U.K. they assume they don’t exist?? (I would have assumed the U.K. has them and that some are made in U.K.)

expanding ISO container They have been in production since at least 1998!

Here’s a few ideas

Last edited:
So there are thoughts of inventing ISO containers/box bodies that can somehow get bigger ?

please tell me this is basically a tender that just because the British Army doesn’t have these or because they aren’t made in the U.K. they assume they don’t exist?? (I would have assumed the U.K. has them and that some are made in U.K.)

expanding ISO container They have been in production since at least 1998!

Here’s a few ideas

This isn’t what they’re after.

Though this is obviously overkill and probably not what is envisaged, it does show what can be achieved, and the concept of a flying hospital.

With the recent COVID crisis airlines have been downsizing and comparatively low time large aircraft are going cheap.

Size wise one can scale up from something like a Shorts Skyvan, through C-130, C-17, C-5 for aircraft that are rugged and have short rough field capability.
It’s not for anything air deliverable, that’s not the point of it, it’s to be much more agile than that.

Last edited:
This isn’t what they’re after.
According to the link a small forward rapidly deployable self contained operating theatre without requirement for significant logistical backup. Also needs 2 ICU beds.

Realistically that can be achieved with 2 expanding containers (either truck mounted or DROPS type).

it is available off the shelf and has been for a significant period of time.

According to the link a small forward rapidly deployable self contained operating theatre without requirement for significant logistical backup. Also needs 2 ICU beds.

Realistically that can be achieved with 2 expanding containers (either truck mounted or DROPS type).

This is the MoD, that would be far too easy :p

I know exactly what is being looked for.

I know exactly what is being looked for.
Why is it different from what I said?:

“According to the link a small forward rapidly deployable self contained operating theatre without requirement for significant logistical backup. Also needs 2 ICU beds.”

because that’s what the link says

Or do you mean they have a particular platform ?

Here’s a U.K. company that makes them

I knew the British Army would have some already
We have worked with these guys on some other projects but the whole deployable hospital-in-a-ISO has been done elsewhere. I injured myself in Kabul during the early FINGAL years and a very nice Norwegian female nurse stiched up my knee wound in a deployable ISO hospital that was empty of patients. Mix of tents and ISO's
hosp 2.JPG

Marshalls at Cambridge Airport have made similar for the UK MOD but we went for the cheap tent type!
Hosp.JPG

Hasten the wound I had was not combat-related.... I was on the Satphone speaking to my Mother and fell down the step of one of guard towers at SOUTER!!!

Latest Threads