Mark 5 Assault Boat Royal Engineers

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by mal897, Feb 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi. Id like to know who makes the mk 5 assault boat and if its available to buy anywhere. I trained on these whilst an engineer and they are fantastic bits of kit. Any info greatly appriciated.

2. There are various makes of rigid raider that is almost exactly the same but comes in a fetching civvy orange.
  3. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Mk 5 Aluminum Assault Boat was originally designed by AE Freezer & co of Hayling Island and made by Fairy Allday Marine, seen similar hulls about mainly from the USA at boat shows, but not seen any ex army about in marinas, it's the one that could be locked together with another hull to make a pontoon and stacked up one inside another, we used to have 18hp Johnsons on the couple we had in JLR
  4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Just realized That I gave the info on the MkIV and not the Mk5 sorry
  5. I can give info on the Mark II Light Dinghy Assault Boat, if this is of any help?
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They do come up for sale occaissionally, just keep them peeled.
  7. I saw one two weeks ago in the DEE in Chester, plus two RE Bridging tugs all used for river work by a civvy firm.
  8. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I saw this for sale only the other day

Attached Files:

9. how much was the csb?
  10. Is this a Mk 5 assault boat, and if not does anyone know what it is? 100_380_550w.jpg
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It certainly looks like one, one that someone has tried to clean the green paint from!
  12. I once got lost on a small lake in aldershot training area on one of those.
    it was dark and the OC thought he was in control of the boat the boat commander thought he was Que boat being paddled in lazy circles in middle of said lake.
    once took one to sea only to be followed by the RNLI out of morbid curiosity
  13. Used the Light Assault Boat with a Johnson 40hp in Borneo based on Wallis Bay during confrontation. Never let us down. Don't know what mark it was.
  14. This lake? Holee sheeit it's not even 700 metres long!

Hawley lake.jpg
    • Like Like x 1