Marines use new Sharpshooter rifle in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Fanbasher, Jun 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (Apologies if this has already appeared ....)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/10254616.stm

Correct me if I'm wrong - looks to be a Para in the picture .... isn't this just a tarted up SLR? So wouldn't it be cheaper just to re-furb SLRs ... just think of all those Falkland Vets with their bragging rights!!

2. Oh God, not this again. No, it's not an SLR, it's much better and there aren't any SLRs lying around anyway.

3. oh yawn the old bring back the 'SLR' chat - its a Para as they were the demo troops at the press briefing - awesome weapon been in theatre for a while and doing well.
    Definitely not an SLR :twisted:

4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Moved from Current Affairs - try to post in the correct forum please.

5. Without wishing to kick off another elephant-gun-versus-peashooter debate, yes there are. Lots of them.

6. Was under the impression they were destroyed or sold off to banana republics long ago?

7. I'm sure some were, but a relatively recent UOR for them was delivered suspiciously quickly.

8. No they arent an SLR, they are far better.

9. So, some 30 or so years after after the SA80 was introduced its back to a weapon that bears the same calibre as the SLR and doesnt look all that different. If I was'nt such a cynic, me thinks this may be an askew acknowldgement that perhaps they should not have gotten rid of the SLR.
    Muuuuuuuuuuuahahahahahaha!!!

10. Any plans to supply it with wooden furniture just to complete the retro thing?

11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Wow, a 7.62 rifle, not like the SLR, but still, 7.62, so it's still nice. Should never have stopped using it, blah blah blah blah.

Seriously though, nice.

12. Didn't think it was that long ago, the SA80's were not rolled out until the early nineties, which is most probably the reason for the first amendment to the Training Pamphlet which was to delete every mention of "SA80" because it stood for Small Arms System for the eighties and nobody had them until the nineties. :lol:

Tin Hat on, no doubt somebody will shoot me down because they got theirs' before then.

13. They were first issued in '86. Guards were using them at Bisley competitions in '87.

14. Look's like an M16 type weapon to me but in 7.62 flavour.

15. Yes I will shoot you down :D

3 RGJ had them in 1986, we ditched the SLR in October and went to the falklands with the new kit and very good they were in the anti penguin role!

Osta