Marines To Begin Recalling Reserves

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Aug 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Marines To Begin Recalling Reserves
    POSTED: 11:12 am PDT August 22, 2006

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Marine Corps said Tuesday it has been authorized to recall thousands of Marines to active duty, primarily because of a shortage of volunteers for duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Up to 2,500 Marines will be brought back at any one time, but there is no cap on the total number of Marines who may be forced back into service in the coming years as the military battles the war on terror. The call-ups will begin in the next several months.

The Army has ordered back about 14,000 soldiers since the start of the war in Iraq, but this is the first time the Marines have resorted to an involuntary recall.

This is the first time the Marines have had to use the involuntary recall since the early days of the Iraq combat. The Army has ordered back about 14,000 soldiers since the start of the war.

Marine Col. Guy A. Stratton, head of the manpower mobilization section, estimated that there is a current shortfall of about 1,200 Marines needed to fill positions in upcoming unit deployments.

The call-up affects Marines in the Individual Ready Reserve, a segment of the reserves that consists mainly of those who left active duty but still have time remaining on their eight-year military obligation.

Generally, Marines enlist for four years, then serve the other four years either in the regular Reserves, where they are paid and train periodically, or they may elect to go into the IRR. Marines in the IRR are only obligated to report one day a year but can be involuntarily recalled to active duty.

2. Nice.

An Armed Forces as vast as the Americans have been forced in to pressganging the reserves, after extending tours and increasing service time too!!!

What state are the USMC in Trip_Wire?

3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

There are USMC Reserve units in most States, as well as IRR indivdual Marine reserves who still owe time.

4. My buddy is a USMC Reservist from an Ohio unit, and he already went in '04.

5. It's pretty much for reasons like this that they keep tabs on you for the full eight years. We usually try to make it clear to our guys that there's no such thing as a three-year-enlistment or a six-year-enlistment. It quite clearly states on the document where you sign your name that you belong to Uncle Sam for eight years.

NTM

6. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Well he might be back for '06 or '07 too! That is why we have reserve and national guard units! If you put your name on the dotted line and collect the bennies, you got to go fight when they need you! Keep that in mind kid, with no service. :roll:

You and your 'Buddies.' When are you going to speak from real experience and quit quoting 'buddies'? :wink:

7. Well, I have a legitimate concern for their safety and well-being. I've been active in trying to support them In any way I can. There isn't a helluva lot more I can do than that.

My friend will gladly go back, but I can't help but worry.

8. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

If you are so concerned, please enlist in the USMC or other Armed forces of the USA and fight along side your 'buddies.' Protect their 'six'!

As I recall, you can enlist at 17 years with your parents signature and on your own at 18 years old! What the hell are you waiting for? I enlisted at 15 years old!

Support my arrse! The best support for them, is to fight along side your buddies!

Quit whining and trying to BS everybody here, that you are anything but a punk arrse kid. When you come back from Iraq, Afganistan or other battle field with combat experience I'll respect your opinions on war, etc.

9. You can challenge my knowledge of warfare, but don't you dare imply that I'm a fraud. I care very deeply about my friends. I haven't had a good nights sleep in years from worrying about them. And don't you dare say that I've done nothing. I worked 6 months to gather supplies to send to the coalition to support their mission.

And by the way, I'm going to be joining ROTC, and going into US Army Civil Affairs.

When you dug up the info on me, you didn't look too hard. Here's some other ones you missed

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/portland_news/1153880726287110.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

And here's an article I wrote for a military publication. Michael Yon, an ex-Green Beret requested that I write it. http://www.michaelyon-online.com/flf/article.php?ID=36

And by the way, I'm going to be joining ROTC, and going into US Army Civil Affairs.

10. Now, now children. Play nicely with each other.

11. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

"ROTC, and going into US Army Civil Affairs."

Is that your idea of supporting your buddies? Your going to become a butter bar with ROTC training! Wow! I can see the enemy shaking in their boots... lol. This is not really a combat unit, as combat units go!

And 2nd Lts are not really all that helpfull, in most combat situations. The best thing they can do, is follow their Platoon Sgts and Sqd leaders lead and keep a real low profile, until they learn what their job really is, if they live that long.

I'll dare to call you anything I choose kid! Your idea of supporting a buddy in combat and my idea of supporting him/her in combat are vastly different. My idea of support is to fight along side your buddy! Join a combat unit and close with the enemy and fight!

I could give a rats arrse, how many articles a 'Green Beret' asked you to write, so what? He might have been impressed by you for some reason, but this 'Green Beret' is not!

Please explain to me, how it is that I implied that your a fraud? I don't recall doing that. You have never served in the military right? Your a teenager still living with mommy & daddy right? your life experience at this point is pretty short right?

I know all that I need to know about you! I have no desire to know anything more about you at this point! I would; however, be happy to hear that you have earned the Combat Infantry Badge though along with a Parachutist wings, Ranger tab, etc.

As for "I worked 6 months to gather supplies to send to the coalition to support their mission."

Supplies for who? What mission did you assist with, who are the coalition and what did you supply them with? how did your support help with the mission to kill the enemy? :roll:

12. CT,

What would happen if you recalled a former soldier, and he rocked up at camp eight stone heavier than when he left, smoking a joint and wearing a dress? Is it straight to the glasshouse for him, or is it "thanks, but no thanks", and send him home?

T_W,

The war/conflict/insurgency/whatever BLiar's calling it this week will not be won solely by combat soldiers putting rounds downrange.

CMO/Cimic/Civil Affairs teams, and the way they affect how Coalition soldiers are perceived by your average Iraqi/Afghan, are just as important.

Oh, and I'm an infantry reservist, nothing to do with Cimic.

13. Good question.

The overweight bit isn't a problem, he'd just be sent on a duty where it's less of an issue. "You're a combat typist!"

Not so sure about the drug use bit, though.

NTM

14. TW, having read your posts, I fully understand why, If everyone thinks like you, Iraq is lost.

You dont like recieving abuse, or even gentle banter, yet are quite prepared to, and I quote "I'll dare to call you anything I choose Kid" - look up the word Hypocrite in your dictionary

15. Trip Wire, possibly you could expand on your understanding of Civil Affairs from the US perspective?