Marines Special Forces Dropped Behind Taliban Lines

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Feb 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Excuse my pride showing a bit but this involved my former unit so I had to post it.

Also of interest is the fact that Ospreys were used and that 3 were reported to have the new BAE Remote Guardian Gun system. Linky

Edited to delete incorrect photo.

2. The Osprey has been in use here for a long time now - the noisy feckers fly over my office many times a day :evil:

They're not being used too much for Marjeh though as the distance from Bastion/Leatherneck is not great enough to warrant their superior speed.

3. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

The Taliban have "lines"? That ought to make things easier, then.

30 days to secure Marjah seems a bit cautious, given the thousands of Jarheads, massive air power and other force being deployed; after all, Zhukov's offensive cleared the entire Sixth Army from Stalingrad in 77 days. How big is Marjah?

4. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

5. The huge impact of the German hearts and minds initive during Stalingrad is largely ignored and underrated..... :roll:

cretin.

6. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

I believe the Russki's had slightly less restrictive RoE as welll

7. What kind of a comparison is that? It only took a nano second to clear Hiroshima of those pesky Nips - that doesn't make an A-Bomb the weapon of choice in Marjeh.

On the other hand.............

8. It only took the Brits and the Prussians 1 day to clear Waterloo. Your point?

9. but it took britain only 38 minutes to win the war against Zanzibar so the afghan war should be well over by now like

10. Pictures from the op-not all that great due to nighttime.

Linky

11. I dont think Zhukov had the same ROE regarding Civvies on the Battlefield......

Otherwise 6-10 Thermobaric bombs would have the job done

12. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Thanks for posting that. The many and varied putdowns you just received have given me plenty to chuckle at (although given that my bladder is currently full that could be dangerous). I particularly liked the commentary on German hearts and minds.

13. Indeed--yet another reminder of why I spend time on these august fora. I think Andy led with his chin a bit on his observation.

14. You mean like this - buratino

Attached Files: