Marines or Irish Army....

Right before people start given me all this "oh its your decision don't ask us just do what you think is right" don't bother lads.... it helps no one.... if u wanna get ur post count up like a loser go to the joke section and say wow thats funny to all the jokes no matter how lame they might be....

ok i'm mad stressed! and need serious feedback on my problem.... now as you may or may not now from my previous posts i applied to the Irish Army last year and was put on a panel for a waiting list... and recently Eamon O'Cuiv announced there taken on more PDF ladeens.... i got word the other day that i'm to do the medical with 85 other lads and lad-erellas who were also on the panel...

fair enough says most now frankly i know why i didnt get in last time and was put on a panel... im very fit and know what army lifestyle is like also i dont think, i know i have the right mentality, unfortunately i'm not the interview king.... so i had accepted that i could have been waiting for up to a year and decided i wasn't bothered and investigated joining another army.... which obviously led me to want to join the British Army... although after inquiry's etc... i decided on the Royal Marines in the Royal Navy.... so needless to say i've trained up and i'm near ready to go for it (still slightly low on the push ups only pushin out 52-54 max but everything else is dandy).... have flights booked and all for March 12th.... have my accommodation set up and up until the other day i was rearin to go!

now i face a predicament.... I really want to join the Royal Marines i mean.... its not just a job its a career... it pays well... your well looked after and are qualified on a bollock loada things when and if you decide to leave it.... i get to do something i love.... and experience things most wont.... BUT!!! i'm not guaranteed to get it..... and so my problem arises....

i mean im so set for the PDF at this stage... i may as well discharge myself from the RDF.... i'm in perfect health and am up on the panel so there'll be no worrys there but i dont know if its what i want any more.... i know a loada lads that wear the flag full time and say there just glorified cleaners doin mine sweeps round the barracks for cigarette butts and doin guard.... possibly gettin a station to Port Laoise Prison or the cash transit crew.... also they cant see much of a future in it.... though they have been to Chad and the Leb and they loved it.... basically im torn on what i should do.... its essentially me setting up the rest of my life.... do i just say **** it and stay home with lads i know or do i jump on the plane on the 12th of march.....

any input lads much appreciated and if anyone has any info on how likely a lad would be to get the marines please god giz a shout.... is it just a fitness thing and have the right frame of mind or do they expect you to wow them in an interview?

Where are you flying to? can't you just hope over the border and inquire about the RM or R IRISH etc do selction and take it from there?

you can ye.... u can start the process here and then go over there for the PRMC and take it from there.... but i know i'll pass the medical and fitness tests no bother just im not sure do they judge u on your eligibility through a shite interview or do they let people go to the PRMC to show what there like as a person and what there made of.... besides i think goin to england shows that im dead serious about it and its not just a passing thought....

oh and im flying into Southampton.... and staying in Portsmouth with a family friend who was a WO1 in the Royal Navy and has a friend in the recruitment office who said he'd talk me though anything i'd need help with regarding interviews etc.... so i mean i'd rather go and have a serious chat with people who know exactly what the marines want rather than talk to someone who has no connection to them up the north... just choice i spose

oh and im flying into Southampton.... and staying in Portsmouth with a family friend who was a WO1 in the Royal Navy and has a friend in the recruitment office who said he'd talk me though anything i'd need help with regarding interviews etc.... so i mean i'd rather go and have a serious chat with people who know exactly what the marines want rather than talk to someone who has no connection to them up the north... just choice i spose
I really don't think anyone one will be able to advise you better than the advice you'll get in Portsmouth. I personally would just go ahead with what you have said above. There is far far more opportunities in the British armed forces than th IDF can ever offer.

That's just a risk he'll have to take! :)

what in particular would u recommend i look for flamingo? bit lost like

and RGJ is like RoyalGreenJacket i believe ye??? is he a marine thats irish or is he just a lad in the know?

PM RoyalGreenJacket IMO Discussion Board - View Profile: RoyalGreenJacket, he's the site resident expert on recruiting Irishmen into the British Army. He's not a marine, but he's guided a few chaps through the process from an Irish perspective. I believe he's ex FCA as well

Make sure you are sending a PM, not a visitor message if you are sending anything you would prefer not to be open, as visitor messages can be read by everybody.

nah sure what'd i be sayin that i didnt want folks ta see :p eh ye so just to clarify u think i should say toss the March platoon in the PDF and go for the RM?

thanks Flamingo.

YES Kiddeh - join the Royal Marines (or British Army)

but Kiddeh you are going abut this the wrong way mate - you don't have to leave Ireland to join the British Army or Royal Marines. the Army / Navy will pay for you to travel to the Career Information Offices in Northern Ireland and they will advise you, test you and guide you into your chosen career properly.

you will be no better off joining form Portsmouth other than being able to chat to other Royal Marines that you might encounter in the Walkabout or other fine drinking establishments in Pompey. the fact that you are on here asking for advice kind of negates any point in travelling to the UK just for information you can get on here.

my advice is join the British Army, or Royal Marines. 1RIFLES might be an option for you as they also have a Commando Role and a lot of their fitter lads are getting the Commando Course under their belt, but if a Bootneck is what you want to be, then the Royal Marines it can only be.

by all means wait at home for something to come up in the Irish DF, however we have better pay and conditions and the travel and adventure opportunities are far greater - so is the prospect of being killed or very seriously injured to be honest and you really need to consider if you are ready for that or not. you might be waiting a long time in Ireland for a slot to come up in the Irish DF for you so don't waste time and come join us.

if you need any advice on life in the British Army, then pm me on here or IMO and i'll help where i can.

sure feck it i've the flights booked RGJ i may as well trot along to Portsmouth and do it there if thats what i finally decide on.... bleedin stress of deciding before March 1st what the rest of my life is gonna pan out like....

as i said in the first post i dont have to wait for the Irish Army anymore.... they want me for March once i pass this medical this week thus where my stress comes from..... do i go for the sure thing or the better option..... its like bein out drinking.... do i go for the fat bird or her hot mate..... i mean the fat bird is a definite but the fit bird is a lash and ya can brag to your m8s about gettin in there :judge: what to do what to do.....

anyway banged off a PM to ya on her RGJ take a wee gander :)

Right before people start given me all this "oh its your decision don't ask us just do what you think is right" don't bother lads.... it helps no one.... if u wanna get ur post count up like a loser go to the joke section and say wow thats funny to all the jokes no matter how lame they might be....

ok i'm mad stressed! and need serious feedback on my problem.... now as you may or may not now from my previous posts i applied to the Irish Army last year and was put on a panel for a waiting list... and recently Eamon O'Cuiv announced there taken on more PDF ladeens.... i got word the other day that i'm to do the medical with 85 other lads and lad-erellas who were also on the panel...

fair enough says most now frankly i know why i didnt get in last time and was put on a panel... im very fit and know what army lifestyle is like also i dont think, i know i have the right mentality, unfortunately i'm not the interview king.... so i had accepted that i could have been waiting for up to a year and decided i wasn't bothered and investigated joining another army.... which obviously led me to want to join the British Army... although after inquiry's etc... i decided on the Royal Marines in the Royal Navy.... so needless to say i've trained up and i'm near ready to go for it (still slightly low on the push ups only pushin out 52-54 max but everything else is dandy).... have flights booked and all for March 12th.... have my accommodation set up and up until the other day i was rearin to go!

now i face a predicament.... I really want to join the Royal Marines i mean.... its not just a job its a career... it pays well... your well looked after and are qualified on a bollock loada things when and if you decide to leave it.... i get to do something i love.... and experience things most wont.... BUT!!! i'm not guaranteed to get it..... and so my problem arises....

i mean im so set for the PDF at this stage... i may as well discharge myself from the RDF.... i'm in perfect health and am up on the panel so there'll be no worrys there but i dont know if its what i want any more.... i know a loada lads that wear the flag full time and say there just glorified cleaners doin mine sweeps round the barracks for cigarette butts and doin guard.... possibly gettin a station to Port Laoise Prison or the cash transit crew.... also they cant see much of a future in it.... though they have been to Chad and the Leb and they loved it.... basically im torn on what i should do.... its essentially me setting up the rest of my life.... do i just say **** it and stay home with lads i know or do i jump on the plane on the 12th of march.....

any input lads much appreciated and if anyone has any info on how likely a lad would be to get the marines please god giz a shout.... is it just a fitness thing and have the right frame of mind or do they expect you to wow them in an interview?
Just go for it big man.Iv done 4 1/2 years PDF,due to be discharged this week.I start training for the Rifles the 6th March and cant wait.I enjoyed my time in the PDF but it just didn't offer enough to me in terms of travel,adventure and a chance to do some proper soldiering.
I also thought about joining the Royal Marines,but decided on the army as i realized the army is a bigger unit and can offer me more opportunities.I decided on the Rifles in the end as they have a BN in the commando role and am hoping to give that a lash eventually.
If you need any advice am sure RGJ will be happy enough to steer you in the right direction.He is a top bloke and has helped me through the whole process.

As far as i know there is 80 recruits being trained in April in the PDF,my advice is to knock that on the head and go across the water.

It depends on why you want to join (a military)? Is it for career, to fight, to get away from home, etc etc? During your training you will ask yourself why am I here you need to know the answer (it isn't something anyone can advise you on).

From your first post you have only very recently decided on RM, it requires a hell of a lot of commitment to get throught the longest recruit training in the world (both physically and mentally).

Why not join the PDF and then thing about RM?

If you join RM you will be emigrating and leaving friends and family, if you join the PDF you chances of getting overseas are not as high.

In the economic environment at home we all know people who have immigrated. From what you are saying it reads to me that you are turning down a guaranteed offer of a good job (once training is finished it isn't too hard at all) to go to an interview!

My 2 cents is the only person who can make the decision is yourself, look at the pros and cons of each and don't listen to anyone who tries to push in either direction (remember the recruiters (for both) for paid to get people in the door)!

It depends on why you want to join (a military)? Is it for career, to fight, to get away from home, etc etc? During your training you will ask yourself why am I here you need to know the answer (it isn't something anyone can advise you on).

From your first post you have only very recently decided on RM, it requires a hell of a lot of commitment to get throught the longest recruit training in the world (both physically and mentally).

Why not join the PDF and then thing about RM?

If you join RM you will be emigrating and leaving friends and family, if you join the PDF you chances of getting overseas are not as high.

In the economic environment at home we all know people who have immigrated. From what you are saying it reads to me that you are turning down a guaranteed offer of a good job (once training is finished it isn't too hard at all) to go to an interview!

My 2 cents is the only person who can make the decision is yourself, look at the pros and cons of each and don't listen to anyone who tries to push in either direction (remember the recruiters (for both) for paid to get people in the door)!
IrlSgt is right, it is a major step in joining the Booties and there are days when you will have to dig deep to justify your existance on the course. Stick with the PDF in the mean time and if you want you can re apply to RM at a later stage with a bit more experience under your belt. And if it doesnt work you can always join the RAMC

I feel for you Kiddeh, hard choices. I have experience with both RM training and irish army training, was also in the RDF like yourself. Throw me a pm if you want more info.

I will say one thing though, the above posters are right. Unless you're an old git, it might be worth taking that offer with the Irish Army. Find out if the military is for you. I found the quality of recruits alot better in the RM for different reasons, and as such it can be a pain in the arse to have to deal with people who shouldn't be in training or just total nobbers that you can get in PDF training. RM recruit procedures and training deals with such people alot faster than the Irish Army can, due to no fault of training teams in ireland, but their hands are tied sometimes in how they can deal with recruits. As such I found RM training progressed through training evolutions alot faster than the PDF did. In RM you might have a 6 mile run, done and dusted in a little over an hour, changed showered and ready for whatever was next in the training day. In the PDF a 6 mile run can take alot longer due to people not being fit, platoon having to stop for people etc. Also RM training is alot more structure and efficient as it is all done in one base and all the time, there are much greater resources and things get done faster. In the PDF since each unit trains their own troops and it's only done on demand, you'll find yourself waiting around, stuff cancelled, generally more headaches than the marines streamlined training program.

RMs recruit up to 32 now and they'll be reaching their manning levels soon enough so training in general will become slightly harder as they can be more selective im guessing, so there's no rush in joining. The corp will be there long after me and you are gone.

A job offer in this current climate is something to consider very seriously.

right just home from work just wanna say thanks for all the input lads.... seriously..... anyway

@ Irishladdie
just go for what.... PDF or Marines sounds like u meant marines but im not sure.... u coulda meant go for PDF do your term and then go Brits.... i mean you are the prime example of why i dont really feel all that pushed about the PDF i know lads who are in and i mean they have the craic and when stuff goes right they love it but honest to go they all say its borin as hell and they never get to do as you say "proper soldierin" which is the point of a military force in the first place thus why even though its just an interview i'm seriously considering the RM as its an active service.... also 1Rifles is something RGJ was nice enough to mention its somethin i need to look into as i've really only researched the RIRISH on the Army side of things....

@irlsgt
your right i do need to know why i wanna be a soldier but you've named them all with the exception of for the challenge... i wanna build a future for myself and have a long career.... i want to travel who doesent and especially when ur doin it with oppos as the Brits say.... and fight no not particularly infact anyone who says ye i wanna go shoot some lads shouldnt be a soldier, i dont want to fight i want to go and do some real soldiering and yes that involves fighting but its not by any means the be all and end all....
that raises all my problems with the PDF... as u said with our economic climate civil servants are just gonna keep gettin hit... i know 3 lads who've been in the army 4 and 5 years and there on the Family Income Supplement allowance which is frankly a joke that they cant earn enough from there full time jobs to look after there family's..... traveling is out of the question almost with the Irish army sure were goin the leb again but the haydays of training with and in other country's are all but gone.... and proper soldiering in my eyes involves not exclusively training, guard duty and cleanin which at this moment in time is the most the majority of the lads in or forces can get
as for why not join in a few years... its crossed my mind but theres nothing to say my time in the irish army wont make me loose the spark that i have which would mentally push me through some of the toughest training as ya said....

@Frank Serpico
RAMC i think not :p but ye as i said to irlsgt i want a career and its best to start young... which is where my stress comes from im lookin at this like i'm deciding the rest of my life before March.... to be fair i dont think about all that much (couldnt let it interrupt my sleeps and personal time) but when it comes to mind jaysus its a bit shit to make the realization...

@topper_harley
nice to see ya made an account just to respond to me.... although ya must understand i dunno how much i can trust what ya say due to that sure ya could be a bootie recruiter tryin to sway the fit peeps to your side of the water but anyway ya make some very good points the RM is by far and believe me i know this already better of the 2 organisations but i mean as i said time and time again its not a guarantee.... irlsgt said it well when he said it sounds like im turning down a job for an interview.... i just cant figure out should i take the risk....

anyway before i start a rant..... oh wait.... hehe..... eh i had a chat with a lad who i know in the DF today.... he gave me a new side of things to think about... he simply put it i could join the Irish army and shine or try for the RM and slog my way through with a smile on my face the way everyone else does.... he also asked why not go PDF and then try for the rangers... but i mean how many people make it to the ARW like so im trying not to think about it like that.... whatever.... still lots to think about right im goin off to research 1RIFLES usin a link RGJ was nice enough to provide me with....

thanks all

Kiddeh

right just home from work just wanna say thanks for all the input lads.... seriously..... anyway

@ Irishladdie
just go for what.... PDF or Marines sounds like u meant marines but im not sure.... u coulda meant go for PDF do your term and then go Brits.... i mean you are the prime example of why i dont really feel all that pushed about the PDF i know lads who are in and i mean they have the craic and when stuff goes right they love it but honest to go they all say its borin as hell and they never get to do as you say "proper soldierin" which is the point of a military force in the first place thus why even though its just an interview i'm seriously considering the RM as its an active service.... also 1Rifles is something RGJ was nice enough to mention its somethin i need to look into as i've really only researched the RIRISH on the Army side of things....

Kiddeh
If you read the end of my post i said knock the PDF on the head and go across the water.
Anyway it's only you who can make that decision.A job offer in this day and age is rear but do ya wanna go into the PDF and after a while get bored and wish you went the RM.Also if your looking to travel you will be waiting a couple of years to get overseas with the big back log of troops due there first deployment.You could also go for ARW selection,i know a couple of lads in it and love it.
I'm just going on what i think you should do,you never know u might love the PDF.I know a couple of lads in the PDF who are heading across the water including myself.

traveling is out of the question almost with the Irish army sure were goin the leb again but the haydays of training with and in other country's are all but gone....
There is a back-log for overseas but there was a coy in Sweden recently and AFAIK they are still talking about another battlegroup (I think with Germany).

anyway before i start a rant..... oh wait.... hehe..... eh i had a chat with a lad who i know in the DF today.... he gave me a new side of things to think about... he simply put it i could join the Irish army and shine or try for the RM and slog my way through with a smile on my face the way everyone else does.... he also asked why not go PDF and then try for the rangers... but i mean how many people make it to the ARW like so im trying not to think about it like that.... whatever.... still lots to think about right im goin off to research 1RIFLES usin a link RGJ was nice enough to provide me with....
Also remember that there are manning points in the RM so that isn't a job for life either.

Failure rate for the ARW is at least 70%, they do things that aren't made public

1 Rifles is diet-RM, all arms commando course (and I think I read here than when they started a very large percentage failed).