Marines at camp-do-nothing in Afgan

That's life.

Seems to positively "spin" the conditions, maybe I'm just not tuned into journalists writing from a "Boots fit mail gettting through" "Alls well" perspective

Especilly from the mail

If there is no fighting there is no fighting.

Why do I get a niggling feeling about the flavour of this report.

answers on a postcard

If my ageing eyes don't deceive me the picture of the marines playing pool are Household Cav, looks like their DZ flash and the 16 AA badge on their left arm. Maybe mistaken though.

engr172

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Basic journalism. They are 16 AA troops, not 3 Cdo Bde. They can't even get that right.

Compare the Mail story to one in the Telegraph today...

Telegraph Online said:
Hundreds of marines are penned into base by suicide bomb threat

Hundreds of British soldiers in southern Afghanistan have been unable to venture outside their fortified bases because of a "critical" threat from suicide bombers.

Military commanders ordered the "lock down" after receiving intelligence that many bombers plan to attack British troops in two towns in northern Helmand.

The development marks a shift in Taliban tactics.

One senior officer said that some of its fighters were now prepared to turn themselves into "human claymore mines" in a renewed attempt to drive the British from the province.

Full text here: Telegraph Online

Nice though to see the booties talking about fighting, while the paras where doing it.

Hopefully keep them safe though.

Good camp, see what would you do without RE?

I thought it was a foregone conclusion that that'd be the state of play. Dont the Taliban withdraw to the hills for the winter?

Im sure they'd survive without the RE, Jim.. Theyre all really good at digging shellscrapes and trenches.. :wink:

took a few few posts for the sly dig to appear, at least it was from a badge collector rather than a para :D

Issues with this Daily/Sunday Mail sh1t in no particular order

The photo is not of Marines (already mentioned).

As one young soldier told me: "It's like Groundhog Day over here
Marine.

Even the commanding officer of 42 Company, Lieutenant-Colonel Matt Holmes
42 Company?

And the Marines, more used to fighting on water, are about 450 miles from the nearest ocean.
I imagine 'Jesus' Company are especially threaders about that.

One Marine said: "We have nothing to spend our money on here, so even though the recruits don't earn much,
Recruits? So CTC has been relocated east?

Credited to 42 Commando's CO

"The Defence Secretary was at Camp Bastion a couple of days ago and even he wasn't allowed to go out on patrol.
Even he? Why, is SoS some sort of military god, the new Slim, the new Mountbatten, the new Guy Gibson? The kind of guy you'd want around when the sh1t hits the fan?

Then again......... :twisted:

"I reach the base after a seven-hour flight to Kabul from RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire in an aging Tristar troop carrier"

Took me 17 hours in a herc!

"While the Paras complained of lack of supplies and poor food, the Marines live in relative luxury, with air-conditioning, hot showers, proper flushable toilets, 20 minutes of internet access a day and a free 30-minute phone call home each week"

At Bastion... What about the platoon houses?

"The camp, which has never come under fire, is the largest British base ever built, including during the Second World War."

No it isn't.

I personally hope that the young action hungry marines never have to face the reality of fighting. I don't like the tone of this report at all.

Well since very similar articles with the same quotes (and wrong facts, captions and ranks...) appeared in the Telegraph and several other papers as well would it be more like the MoD trying to spin Afghanistan and cover up their lack of equipment and failure to support the guys etc in the field where the fighting takes place......along the lines of 'look taxpayers..lots of facilities - nothing but the best for Our Boys...' I'm waiting until Monday for the headline 'It wos the Sun that got Our Boys this new all singing all dancing camp etc'.....

I note they still say nothing about the use of snatch rovers and incredibly the fact that the Marines are using their Viking winter warfare vehicles in the desert! You couldn't make it up!

Go see Dickie North for more comments on this spin by MoD:

http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/2006/10/camp-do-nothing.html

Cabarfeidh said:
Well since very similar articles with the same quotes (and wrong facts, captions and ranks...) appeared in the Telegraph and several other papers as well would it be more like the MoD trying to spin Afghanistan and cover up their lack of equipment and failure to support the guys etc in the field where the fighting takes place......along the lines of 'look taxpayers..lots of facilities - nothing but the best for Our Boys...' I'm waiting until Monday for the headline 'It wos the Sun that got Our Boys this new all singing all dancing camp etc'.....

I note they still say nothing about the use of snatch rovers and incredibly the fact that the Marines are using their Viking winter warfare vehicles in the desert! You couldn't make it up!

Go see Dickie North for more comments on this spin by MoD:

http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/2006/10/camp-do-nothing.html
Cab, what a brilliant attempt to spin crap reporting as being the governments fault

Unsworth said:
Sven said:
Cab, what a brilliant attempt to spin crap reporting as being the governments fault
Or is the point that these are exactly the same mistakes etc? In which case what is the source?
How about.

A reporter is looking at the oppositions first edition and because there is a dearth of news in his paper, they decide to rob the story.

Happens all the time - just as Mick Smith or the other journos on the forum

Best thing about the Mail to day? the DVD of Too late the Hero!

Sven said:
How about.

A reporter is looking at the oppositions first edition and because there is a dearth of news in his paper, they decide to rob the story.

Happens all the time - just as Mick Smith or the other journos on the forum
Obviously that's perfectly possible - so, do you know for certain or are you guessing? And I'm not sure that plagiarism is wrong in this case - as long as the facts are correct, eh?

I have real respect for - and a little experience of - the Marines. The fact that they are not currently (it is reported) encountering the same level of opposition is something to be profoundly thankful for.

I particularly like the quote from some marine ( read journalist)

"THE NAVYS CRACK FIGHTING FORCE..."

sounds very military terminalogy! b******s a marine said that!!

FFS: stop slagging the paper - shite though it is, it was the one that got CGS on to B'liar's radar.
Read the story in context.
This is B'liar's MoD saying"Our troops in AFG are in no danger"
What it doesnt't quite say, is that - they're achieving feck-all, because we have no fecking clue how to get out of this, and our "aid" department are w*nkers.
It is NOT news: a month ago:
Letters to the Editor: Dying in the military folly of Afghanistan

I RESIGNED my commission when the Iraq invasion was imminent, believing an ill-conceived “war on terror” to have taken a fatal direction. Christina Lamb’s report (News, last week) exceeded my worst expectations. Leo Docherty says the British Afghan campaign is modelled on Malaya; but there, the Communist terrorists were outsiders even to their own, Chinese, community. Most Malayans were united in the certainty of independence once the emergency ended.

Now the West, no friend of impoverished Afghans since America abandoned them after the Russian withdrawal, is seemingly bent — or so it must seem to Afghans — purely on revenge, and British troops are “penned in” like the Communists of 50 years ago. One wonders if military planners explored worst-case scenarios, or — as with Arnhem in 1944 — presumed Taliban compliance with their plan.

Most dismal of all is the government’s failure to back the limited military capability by resourcing the reconstruction for which the troops were sent. If the Red Cross and Médecins Sans Frontières can find volunteers, why cannot the Department for International Development?
so, they've got pool tables, and laundry now. But they're penned in all the same; by B'liar ROE that take no account of the situation, but are written so that UK plc can be shown "to be doing something" - whatever the feck that might mean.

Latest Threads