Mariner vs Port Operator

Gamer 69

Old-Salt
Hi there.

I got my security clearance recently (no idea if it is transferable), albeit I currently work in the NHS as a management accountant (I was offered 2 jobs at the same time).

I did a few years in the regular army, regular service 1999 to 2003 and got recalled 2006/07. AGC.

Happy to remain being AGC, but tbh, I'd rather just be one of the boys. If I go AGC, won't really feel different from my current job.

I get that the Operator works on docks, mariner works on boats. Can anyone give me an idea of what each job may entail over what is obvious?

I just had a sell for Cat C training for port operator or day skipper for Mariner, although I imagine, the trades wait a bit to make sure it's not wasted. After meeting several disillusoned Army AIr Corps guys who thought they would be flying helicopters, I'm always a bit suspicious when this is put to me (but would be nice).

Cheers

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Go Port Op mate. The RLC Mariner role has been dying on its feet since they got rid of the two LSTs......Mexe and I think one RCL is all that's left.

And if that's with 165 Port & Maritime (?), you will find ex Reg 17 Port mariners will be promoted over you , because they have the trade background - and from the Army's POV that makes absolute sense.

If you want a Day Skipper ticket go through the RYA.

maritime

Old-Salt
Hi there.

I got my security clearance recently (no idea if it is transferable), albeit I currently work in the NHS as a management accountant (I was offered 2 jobs at the same time).

I did a few years in the regular army, regular service 1999 to 2003 and got recalled 2006/07. AGC.

Happy to remain being AGC, but tbh, I'd rather just be one of the boys. If I go AGC, won't really feel different from my current job.

I get that the Operator works on docks, mariner works on boats. Can anyone give me an idea of what each job may entail over what is obvious?

I just had a sell for Cat C training for port operator or day skipper for Mariner, although I imagine, the trades wait a bit to make sure it's not wasted. After meeting several disillusoned Army AIr Corps guys who thought they would be flying helicopters, I'm always a bit suspicious when this is put to me (but would be nice).

Cheers
Both have niche
Hi there.

Cheers
Hmm your job sounds similar to a chap i started with. Mon-fri NHS manager, sat sun, Pte Port op. Ended up a Sgt.(hi Dave). Having done both,both have good not so good points. 'Blue jobs', mexe will be your bread and butter with the odd work boat,CSB on hand skills. Can get RYA power boat quals. Hairy arsed Port op in a chain gang, physical n dirty but can get some good quals ,(do a few years first) ships crane,Coles crane,FLT,tug,C,C+E,con handler, etc .
Used to get some sh!t from the then reg's. You effin stabs blah, blah. Come next years camp theres said now ex reg standing at the back head down inspecting his toe caps looking sheepish. And if they say 'Right lads next years camp is the states' (we had the US version come over here once and to keep everyone dangling ,we're going over there) there lying.

Gamer 69

Old-Salt
Thanks both.

Yeah, if I wanted promotion, I would go AGC. Lookin to get new skills and something to keep me fit, interested. WOuld be nice to get my lance jack back and maybe Corporal.

Looking for something to stretch me sideways rather than adding on similar work to what I'm doing at the moment, although that will change once I am back in green again.

Port Op is looking better of the two at the moment. I just think I'd get on better with this than the mariner - gut feeling. Cheers for the responses.

Dr Death

War Hero
Hi there.

Cheers
Yes leave the NHS, to many bean counters at the moment and live the dream.
Previous experience will count but you will still have to do Phase 1.
However, be prepared to be asked why you want to leave a safe, well paid job to return to the colours!

Port Op will get you varied qualifications & some can be used as a civy too.
Crack on & good luck.

Gamer 69

Old-Salt
Yes leave the NHS, to many bean counters at the moment and live the dream.
Previous experience will count but you will still have to do Phase 1.
However, be prepared to be asked why you want to leave a safe, well paid job to return to the colours!

Port Op will get you varied qualifications & some can be used as a civy too.
Crack on & good luck.

Eh, fu-ck that. I went on the reserves list forum because I thought that included TA.

No chance I'd be leaving my cushy, pen pushing corporate job (almost certain it will be work from home forever now) to do a FT job at my age. I already had people bracing up to me when I was a private recalled to Basra at 29 years old, because no one believed that someone so old looking (and well spoken, I hasten to add) could be a private.

I'd have to leave my wife and kid for a life of adventure..................................hang on a second.

That actually makes me think seriously, if I did do a tour, I guess they would have to pay my civvie salary....nice.

Dr Death

War Hero
Eh, fu-ck that. I went on the reserves list forum because I thought that included TA.

No chance I'd be leaving my cushy, pen pushing corporate job (almost certain it will be work from home forever now) to do a FT job at my age. I already had people bracing up to me when I was a private recalled to Basra at 29 years old, because no one believed that someone so old looking (and well spoken, I hasten to add) could be a private.

I'd have to leave my wife and kid for a life of adventure..................................hang on a second.

That actually makes me think seriously, if I did do a tour, I guess they would have to pay my civvie salary....nice.
Argh yes in the Army Reserve section, missed that bit out, an oversight on my part.
Yes you carry on bean counting, performance reviews & peeing of consultants with "great ideas" for saving money!

I already had people bracing up to me when I was a private recalled to Basra at 29 years old, because no one believed that someone so old looking (and well spoken, I hasten to add) could be a private.
I went on a two week regular 'Combat Intelligence Course' as a 41 year old TA Para Tom and I kept getting saluted all the time. I wondered if I should just salute back to make them feel better.

Gamer 69

Old-Salt
Argh yes in the Army Reserve section, missed that bit out, an oversight on my part.
Yes you carry on bean counting, performance reviews & peeing of consultants with "great ideas" for saving money!

You genuinely had me worried enough to mentally check if any of my consultants had any army experience.

Gamer 69

Old-Salt
I went on a two week regular 'Combat Intelligence Course' as a 41 year old TA Para Tom and I kept getting saluted all the time. I wondered if I should just salute back to make them feel better.

Yeah, for me it was a Corporal who approached me in Basra. He braced up and screamed at me ''Good morning, SIR!''

''Pardon me, Coproral?''

''Good Morning, SIRRRRRR!''

''It's two o'clock, but thank you anyway Corporal''

He was a Light Dragoon IIRC.

Yeah, for me it was a Corporal who approached me in Basra. He braced up and screamed at me ''Good morning, SIR!''

''Pardon me, Coproral?''

''Good Morning, SIRRRRRR!''

''It's two o'clock, but thank you anyway Corporal''

He was a Light Dragoon IIRC.
Do you think it was because you had a few hard paper rounds as a kid?

Truxx

LE
Either's good.

I happen to be port op but the Mexe boys and girls do get about the globe a bit. Handy too if you are into running jumping and climbing trees as lots do the All Arms Commando Course. Any watchkeeping quals are of limited value in civvy street.

Both port ops and blue jobs get to play at port diving too.

Truxx

LE
Go Port Op mate. The RLC Mariner role has been dying on its feet since they got rid of the two LSTs......Mexe and I think one RCL is all that's left.

And if that's with 165 Port & Maritime (?), you will find ex Reg 17 Port mariners will be promoted over you , because they have the trade background - and from the Army's POV that makes absolute sense.

If you want a Day Skipper ticket go through the RYA.
LCLs. The LST went in about 1948.....LCTs lasted a bit longer....

Truxx

LE
Are they part of Commando Log Regt, or do they wear there Green lids and Daggers while serving as part of 17 Port and Maritine Regiment?
Not part of Cdo Log. deffo badges, less sure about green lids. Not in my time. Mind we had para commando divers and ocean watchkeeper badged types - like bloody boy scouts.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
LCLs. The LST went in about 1948.....LCTs lasted a bit longer....

Whatever the Army decided to call the Ardennes and Arromanches ....they had just paid off when I joined 165 Sport and Leisuretime, late 90s.

1589408399527.png

[ Mexe build, Op Telic ]

The Warrant Navigator was choked when planned deck loading of two RCL's out to Iraq was scrubbed.
Proposal to self-deploy was turned down.