Marine KIA 24/12/08

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere and I apologise if it has. However breaking news onn BBC site says Marine KIA on Christmas Eve.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7799568.stm

A Royal Marine was killed in Afghanistan on Christmas Eve, the Ministry of Defence has said.

The marine, from 42 Commando, died from enemy fire in the Nad-e-Ali district near Lashkar Gah in Helmand province.

Military spokeswoman Commander Paula Rowe said the death was "particularly poignant" so close to Christmas. The marine's family has been informed.

Some 136 UK troops have been killed in Afghanistan since 2001, including 11 Royal Marines in the past two months.

'Dedicated professional'

Commander Rowe said: "The death of this Royal Marine is a tragic loss and coming so close to Christmas, this is particularly poignant.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this dreadfully sad time."

Nato spokesman Capt Mark Windsor, of the Royal Navy, expressed sadness at the marine's death.

Capt Windsor said: "This dedicated professional risked his life to help bring security and stability to the people of Afghanistan.

"[Nato's] International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) will continue to fight for the cause for which this brave serviceman gave his life."
I am sorry to bring this sad news.

RIP.

Times will come you'll want to cry,
Why do so many have to die?
But you're here to support and must be strong,
Stronger in mind than the fighting throng.

RIP, all my thoughts and condolances are with the family, friends and comrades still out there...

RIP mate, and condolences to the family. Words really can't express it.

In 2007 I spent a month with the ops Coy at the PRT in Lashkah Gah. Nad-Ali was one of the quietest places in the AO, superficially at least. Speaking to lads out there and who've just come back, without breaching OPSEC, it's all gone pete tong.

Bowmore_Assassin

MIA
Book Reviewer
Duty done Royal. RIP.

RIP and god speed fella

Thoughts with family and friends and for all the fallen especially at this time of year, and thanks to all for your selfless service.

Zippy483