• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Marie Colvin killed in Syria

A pity, sounds like she was a real character......but again we get thei "heavy shelling" shite from her colleagues. random, intermittant, occaisional, maybe but not "Heavy".

Funnily enough they interviewed her on the News yesterday about the shelling from Homs, they showed a piccie of her wearing an eye patch...never heard of her before.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Damned shame. That's one of our best front line reporters ever gone west. She was a game old bird and that eye patch was the result of shrapnel in Sri Lanka.

Personally, no sympathy, no one made her go there.
Conscription ended in 1960 so the 1,895 military personnel we've lost since then - nobody made them go either.

cpunk

LE
Let's start again. I doubt many of us would find it amusing if the media kicked off with a series of gags about one of our dead or wounded colleagues.

I once saw a documentary on war correspondents and was amazed at how many of them are killed in action or seriously wounded. They featured the cameraman (MO?) who lost and arm and was later (I think) killed in a plane crash. He carried on filming in war zones despite only having one arm. Amazing people who bring the truth out of hell holes like Syria and help to change things.

Just found him

Mohamed 'Mo' Amin

She's probably had more frontline time than her apparent detractors on this thread.

Lost an eye to shrapnel kept going back and eventually her number came up

Ballsy ****** and going to shit holes under your own steam shows some commitment

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
A pity, sounds like she was a real character......but again we get thei "heavy shelling" shite from her colleagues. random, intermittant, occaisional, maybe but not "Heavy".
Given that many of these reporters have been in more warzones than most people I suspect they're pretty adept at diferentiating between the intensity of shelling. Personally, I like the term "desultry shelling." It has a lazy, impersonal sound to it.

Damned shame. That's one of our best front line reporters ever gone west. She was a game old bird and that eye patch was the result of shrapnel in Sri Lanka.

Fat_cav said:
Personally, no sympathy, no one made her go there.
Conscription ended in 1960 so the 1,895 military personnel we've lost since then - nobody made them go either.
I do believe that taking the Queens shilling and the oath of attestment et al mean that someone can send you even if you don't want to go. I'm not so sure that the Editor of ST has such clout?

I'm sure that there's a distinct difference, don't you agree?

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
A sad loss Indeed she was a game old bird, and a great sense of humour, and not a bad reporter, you would never see her sending reports from her kitchen, meet her a couple of times in the Frontline club. RIP Marie.

Latest Threads