Marie Colvin killed in Syria

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by RP578, Feb 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

2. Oh well.....

3. A pity, sounds like she was a real character......but again we get thei "heavy shelling" shite from her colleagues. random, intermittant, occaisional, maybe but not "Heavy".

4. Quick, let's get Kate Adie over there!

5. Funnily enough they interviewed her on the News yesterday about the shelling from Homs, they showed a piccie of her wearing an eye patch...never heard of her before.

6. You could say the same about squaddies...

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Damned shame. That's one of our best front line reporters ever gone west. She was a game old bird and that eye patch was the result of shrapnel in Sri Lanka.

Conscription ended in 1960 so the 1,895 military personnel we've lost since then - nobody made them go either.

• Like Like x 10
  8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Let's start again. I doubt many of us would find it amusing if the media kicked off with a series of gags about one of our dead or wounded colleagues.

• Like Like x 3
  9. they would if they thought it would sell papers they have no souls

10. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Bloody good reporter & a sad loss.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I once saw a documentary on war correspondents and was amazed at how many of them are killed in action or seriously wounded. They featured the cameraman (MO?) who lost and arm and was later (I think) killed in a plane crash. He carried on filming in war zones despite only having one arm. Amazing people who bring the truth out of hell holes like Syria and help to change things.

Just found him

Mohamed 'Mo' Amin

• Like Like x 1
  12. She's probably had more frontline time than her apparent detractors on this thread.

Lost an eye to shrapnel kept going back and eventually her number came up

Ballsy ****** and going to shit holes under your own steam shows some commitment

• Like Like x 12
  13. But I'll bet you watch any news from 'the front line' as avidly as any of us. The military doesn't have a monopoly on performing useful jobs requiring guts.

• Like Like x 6
  14. That's a great shame. She was a tough, old school war correspondent and a bloody good and respected journalist.

15. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Given that many of these reporters have been in more warzones than most people I suspect they're pretty adept at diferentiating between the intensity of shelling. Personally, I like the term "desultry shelling." It has a lazy, impersonal sound to it.

• Like Like x 1