Margaret Moran expenses trial: Jury considers verdict

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vampireuk, Nov 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Margaret Moran expenses trial: Jury considers verdict

It seems the creature who suddenly decided when caught breaking the law it caused her health problems when she thought about it is now about to be given a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again.

I wonder what would happen if I stole a large chunk of money then decided I didn't feel well when I talked about it, would I get to avoid going to court in person?

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

It worked for that nice Mr Guinness, a few yeards ago.

Ms M was at least charged, and prosecuted. The vast, vast majorit yof fiddling MPs and Lords were not. Scapegoat? Surely not...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Would them finding that she actually committed the offences not be tantamount to finding the odious wench guilty?

Maybe she can't be convicted due to her 'illness' but she'd still be guilty.

4. £168,000 in one year?? On what?

5. Well, not on descent clothes and good taste…

[​IMG]

6. Like a para smock?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Still, consequences for any are to be welcomed.

Surely more just to nail a few rather than let them all off because it's more "fair", seeing as you haven't done them all for it?

Don't be an apologist for gross dishonesty and criminality...

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

That nice Mr Saunders. Guinness was the company. Saunders got 5 years for share fraud. Released after 10 months when he convinced the judge he had incurable Alzheimers. Six months after release he was addressing the CBI. He went on to be a highly paid consultant in the UK & USA.

Odds on Ms Moran finding a similar miracle cure when she steps out of court a free woman? If you can find a bookie to take that bet I have a bridge for sale.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Which dovetails nicely with my question, above.

How will she stand if, by some miracle, she 'recovers' and has been found guilty of fraud?

10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Assuming she has been sentenced then recovers they cant touch her I believe. Nobody told Ernest Saunders to get back in nick when he 'recovered'. If she had nicked £168,000 from the Post Office she would be looking at ten years.

11. But she won't be sentenced due to her illness, just found guilty.

12. Many, many years ago just after leaving school and working in a joinery shop I was accused of taking a sandwich from the canteen. I didn't and denied it, but the company got the police involved.
    Basically I was co-erced into admitting it and receiving a caution. I was not represented nor offered same, I did not take it and reading such as this really rankles..........us and them!

13. Is it not the thought of going to prison that's making her ill? Simple, send her to Broadmoor, it's not a prison per se, it's a hospital so she can recieve all the medical help she requires to make her better. Also, while she's there, hook her up to an electro shock machine and zap her once for every pound she's defrauded, small charge but enough to make it painful ^^

• Like Like x 1