Marchwood port for sale?

There is one thing about selling assets off, eventually you either run out of assets, or you have flogged off some critical capability that will come back and bite you at a later date.
There has to come a point where the MOD has to tell the government that if they say the budget is this amount, you can have this. If you want that foreign adventure, you WILL HAVE TO PAY EXTRA as it just cannot be done on the amount you are allowing us.
A bit like giving the missus the budget to shop at Lidl, and then expecting to eat from a Fortnum and Mason hamper.

Something has to give out before long.

Gadge

There is one thing about selling assets off, eventually you either run out of assets, or you have flogged off some critical capability that will come back and bite you at a later date.
There has to come a point where the MOD has to tell the government that if they say the budget is this amount, you can have this. If you want that foreign adventure, you WILL HAVE TO PAY EXTRA as it just cannot be done on the amount you are allowing us.
A bit like giving the missus the budget to shop at Lidl, and then expecting to eat from a Fortnum and Mason hamper.

Something has to give out before long.

Gadge
thing is Gadge, with no war on at the moment and squaddies about to revert to being a nuisance rather than bally hero's, there is no funding for anything, and any "projected future saving" is being embraced.

ugly

LE
If these rumours are anything other than rumours then why not move them into Portsmouth or Devonport. With all the ships that are being sold off and scrapped there would be plenty of space for 17 P&M platoon.
Fixed for free

The future UK Island defense force is not going to need to move huge amounts of heavy equipment anywhere over water so there will be no need for such extravagantly expensive assets.

thing is Gadge, with no war on at the moment and squaddies about to revert to being a nuisance rather than bally hero's, there is no funding for anything, and any "projected future saving" is being embraced.
You mean until the next round of foreign adventurism, then they find that the cupboard is bare.
Gadge

jim30

LE
The issue is that at sdsr2010 the mod (eg the armed forces) took a look at the savings required and took the decision that you could either sell marchwood and take a tiny level of risk for the site, or find correspondingly large savings elsewhere which would hurt far far more to implement.

Its also worth noting this is about ownership not capability. The MOD will still have the ability to deploy using marchwood, but it will be owned by a private company.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hurrah, holy thread resurrection Batman...back comes the same old same old....now that Julian Lewis MP ( New Forest East) has been elevated to the purple, it will be interesting to hear his views on this hoary old prospect.

God help tham if Peel Holdings get hold of Marchwood. Biggest bunch of money grabbing scum I've ever had the pleasure to deal with.
Damn straight the bunch of history destroying *******

God help tham if Peel Holdings get hold of Marchwood. Biggest bunch of money grabbing scum I've ever had the pleasure to deal with.
I briefly worked for a company that did contract work for Peel. Constantly tried to still the company for payment and weaseling out of fulfilling their side of contracts. Last I heard it took several years for Peel to finally pay up at the end of the deals. Worst job I ever had, and I've worked for bloody Wetherspoons :p

The issue is that at sdsr2010 the mod (eg the armed forces) took a look at the savings required and took the decision that you could either sell marchwood and take a tiny level of risk for the site, or find correspondingly large savings elsewhere which would hurt far far more to implement.

Its also worth noting this is about ownership not capability. The MOD will still have the ability to deploy using marchwood, but it will be owned by a private company.

I had the dubious 'honour' to serve at 17 Port some years ago, and, the yanks were paying huge sums to send their Port Ops to train there, as their own ports were strangled by the unions and the red tape, union dues and training requirements before they could set foot in a port, made flying them to us significantly cheaper..............

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saintnorthover RLC 2
KennyChaos RLC 6
L RLC 34

Latest Threads