• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Marching songs

Swifty,

if you Google cadence songs you will find that the system works.

Be prepared for flak from fellow arrsers, don tin hat and standby :D

fastmedic

bring the flak then lol. im looking for something without the usmc or us army sorta song, thats al i can pick up

and why flak me? its a good moral booster for cadets

Try here. I find it motivating.
Marching Songs

I believe a chap called harry shopped here 8O

i dont understand what type of songs your after if cadences will not do it, or do you mean that you just dont like the US lyrics, in which case you will need to make them up, as Mister_Angry says the british do not do marching songs. or do you mean things like sharpe's 'over the hills and far away' and similar ie. songs that where used for normal marching across country in the days before bedfordheli?

I_G

oh and i case it is cadences, the yanks only use them cause it takes the focus of the pain of long marches (until the enemy hear you coming :) )

yer normal sort, like Walkin down canal street, sort of story like but not if you know what i mean

may seem kidish or whatever to you lot but hey i dnt care lol

Swifty, rather than singing why not teach your cadets to whistle? A good start is the tune most people know as "The Great Escape Tune" or River Kwai March. Its a great one for endex! There are loads or good military marches around with no words.

CW

I hope this is for Nijmegan, thats the only time I have ever heard British soldiers singing as they marched (well bimbled with Dutch children climbing on them shouting "souvaneer"), and then it was very different to the yank cadence tunes.

You want to look for things like;

Roll me over,

Has anyone seen JC,

4 and 20 virgins,

The old Wing Co was a merry old soul,

Shit on that bastard below.

etc etc...

Don't ask me what any of the words were I can't remember!

'kin marching songs!!! god, we'll be wearing hairnets next!, besides the Boxheads had the best ones & I wouldn't use those.

I'm Army 'working' with the RAF in NI. Last week a gaggle of RAF cadets were sauntering along half heartedly chanting along to that very naf Americanistic (new word) humdrum 'rap' you hear in all GI Joe war films, (Full Metal Jacket for example). I was embarassed for them.

Two things you should never do: Dance at your sons wedding and chant during tabs.

P.S. If you must then a good old Loyalist number 'The Sash My Father Wore ...' down the Falls Road should get you a good bricking and curb your will to sing and tab at the same time!

Heres a catchy little marching song:

Die Fahne hoch! Die Reihen dicht geschlossen!
SA marschiert mit ruhig festem Schritt.
Kameraden, die Rotfront und Reaktion erschossen,
Marschiern im Geist in unsern Reihen mit.Die Straße frei den braunen Bataillonen!
Die Straße frei dem Sturmabteilungsmann!
Es schaun aufs Hakenkreuz voll Hoffnung schon Millionen,
Der Tag für Freiheit und für Brot bricht an.
Zum letztenmal wird nun Appell geblasen.
Zum Kampfe stehn wir alle schon bereit.
Bald flattern Hitlerfahnen über alle Straßen.
Die Knechtschaft dauert nur noch kurze Zeit.
Die Fahne hoch! Die Reihen dicht geschlossen!
SA marschiert mit ruhig festem Schritt.
Kameraden, die Rotfront und Reaktion erschossen,
Marschiern im Geist in unsern Reihen mit.

In case Sergey is around:

1. Чеканен шаг в стальном порядке строя
Знамёна реют в стиснутых руках.
С врагом в жестоких схватках павшие герои
Незримо с нами в сомкнутых рядах.

2. Простор открыт для наших батальонов,
Простор открыт полкам штурмовиков.
Нам вслед с надеждой смотрят новой миллионы:
Ведь с нами - хлеб, свобода от оков.

3. В последний раз мы вышли без оружья
К борьбе давно готов любой из нас.
Мы этот мир без сожаления разрушим: