Marching Out, Marching In Advice

thehbic

Swinger
In with another advice seeking thread.

Being posted from our first married quarters to another one. Can anyone explain how they usually go about the process? We have the assignment order, done the form for accommodation just awaiting to hear back.

I'm trying to wrap my head around in what order to do stuff - my partner is very busy with work so I'm trying to deal with the majority, movers have quoted us but I can't action them until I have a move out/move in date sorted.

I assume upon marching out that place needs to be reset, back to pristine condition, in order for that to happen everything needs to be out the house right. If things are out of the house they'll need to be on the van or temporary storage? For those thinking I'm braindead... I overthink everything.

For those who have experience and are experts, please please please share your secrets!

Thanking you :)

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Your old place needs to be completly empty of your personal property. It needs to be cleaned to a high standard and will be inspected. During my march ins and outs (many years ago mind) the wife was not allowed to be present.

There will be a few bods wandering about with clipboards.

Any damages/diffies will be noted at the time and will have to be paid for. Your wage slips will show this.

Don't march out until your new place is sorted. If the place is to a high standard, there is nothing to worry about.

thehbic

Swinger
Your old place needs to be completly empty of your personal property. It needs to be cleaned to a high standard and will be inspected. During my march ins and outs (many years ago mind) the wife was not allowed to be present.

There will be a few bods wandering about with clipboards.

Any damages/diffies will be noted at the time and will have to be paid for. Your wage slips will show this.

Don't march out until your new place is sorted. If the place is to a high standard, there is nothing to worry about.
Thank you so much!

If you're advising not to march out before the new place is sorted, do you mean being allocated a quarter? or marching in to the new place before marching out the old? Sorry to question! Thanking you again.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
On my first march-out we had spent days cleaning, laying out stuff in the right room in accordance with the book, can't recall the AB No, which showed every item issued. The place was, imo, spotless and the wife knackered having to look after an 18 month old baby also. The team arrived and the women were vicious and had written a list of items. Every mark in the walls, every spot on furniture, evening not really visible to the naked eye :). This was becoming very hectic and worrying and my wife was becoming very upset. At the end the females handed over the list to the BIA, who took a walk round the quarter, then ripped up the list - nothing to pay!

He did not like the females and felt they were spiteful, plus it was obvious the work that we had out in to present the quarter! Not all BIAs were that thoughtful and lenient.

halloumikid

Old-Salt
This is the March In and March Out standard used by Amey. Notice the standards are different. Often your local Housing officer may have a locally produced sheet but this is the standards expected.

halloumikd

Attachments

• FL-01 20140501 NHP Move-in-out Standard v001c (2)[4327] 3.doc
    400.5 KB · Views: 61

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Thank you so much!

If you're advising not to march out before the new place is sorted, do you mean being allocated a quarter? or marching in to the new place before marching out the old? Sorry to question! Thanking you again.
You're welcome.

The best plan is to not to separate from your wife between moves. So if you can sort out your new place before you move, forward your boxes etc, you won't have too much clutter in the car.

Have you visited your new posting yet? Or do they know your coming? I was posted once (BAOR to BAOR) and my new unit had no idea that I was coming. Bloody Clerks!

thehbic

Swinger
You're welcome.

The best plan is to not to separate from your wife between moves. So if you can sort out your new place before you move, forward your boxes etc, you won't have too much clutter in the car.

Have you visited your new posting yet? Or do they know your coming? I was posted once (BAOR to BAOR) and my new unit had no idea that I was coming. Bloody Clerks!

Thank you, no - only just received the assignment! So desperately trying to get all this done in my head before it actually happens, they say not to sweat it but here I am!

Thank you, no - only just received the assignment! So desperately trying to get all this done in my head before it actually happens, they say not to sweat it but here I am!
Check where you are moving to.
If it seems a step down (more importantly, get someone in the CoC to agree it’s a step down), there may be some lee-way in what you leave behind.
Worth asking. I was ‘asked’ to vacate an MQ in Fallingbostel to move to what was (in everyone’s opinion) a worse flat.
Our MQ bloke was with me and said ‘agree to nothing in the flat, but agree to the flat’. We worked it out from there.
Don‘t make moving more stressful - get a cleaning firm in. My RAF friend swears by these. The war-dodging 30+ years WO would beg to differ.
Best of luck on a very stressful time.

thehbic

Swinger
Check where you are moving to.
If it seems a step down (more importantly, get someone in the CoC to agree it’s a step down), there may be some lee-way in what you leave behind.
Worth asking. I was ‘asked’ to vacate an MQ in Fallingbostel to move to what was (in everyone’s opinion) a worse flat.
Our MQ bloke was with me and said ‘agree to nothing in the flat, but agree to the flat’. We worked it out from there.
Don‘t make moving more stressful - get a cleaning firm in. My RAF friend swears by these. The war-dodging 30+ years WO would beg to differ.
Best of luck on a very stressful time.
I’ve just discovered the walk away scheme and me likey a lot!

I’ve just discovered the walk away scheme and me likey a lot!
My first MQ March out tin Bovington, SWIMBO was 8 months pregnant but worked so hard that you could have eaten your lunch of the kitchen floor. On march out I asked baraki bill if one of my friends would be moving in, Oh no, quoth he no one is moving in, we are taking the roof off ! Bar stewards.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm in my 21st quarter since 1982. I paid for cleaners back in 1992 but learnt that I cleaned the house before the cleaners arrived.

My usual routine is to ship everything out to the new quarter, including the people, and then settle on a doss mat on the floor for 3 days and scrub the place clean. A carpet shampooer is useful. It's a good time to throw away all the accumulated dross, we're a household of what was 5 adults and so there is much to throw out.