Marauder Webbing

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

A new review has been created: Marauder Webbing

Read the full review here...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
  2. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

138 views and no comments... I guess reviews are not my thing...
  3. Think webbing is starting to become more of a thing of the past. Very much doubt there will be many deployments where we wouldn't be wearing armour. A Molle belt where you can alter your pouches makes more sense. Nothing wrong with your review though.
  4. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

Thanks Wally - that's a good perspective.
  5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've had a 'hippo pad' since the mid-80's and can remember the joys of pouch burns from 58. Whilst I note what you say about lightness there are a couple of things that would put me off a made uop belt kit and I wonder if you could comment on them.

Firstly I always thought that the solution to the pouch burn was the ability for the pouch to rub on the pad rather than on you like a sock liner. I'd be concerned that the pad would end up rubbing you away.

Secondly for those of us who are not flat I'd be concerned that the pad might not flex enough to be tight enough on the waist and on the thighs.

Lastly the issue already mentioned of a lack of flexibility.
  6. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

Good questions BA...

As to the pouch/pad rubbing - I've only got 15 or so miles on my set and have had no issues so far... In terms of how it's supposed to work, I think it's to stop the hard edges of things in your pouches, like mags, and also to help with the fact that pouches move around creating increased chafing. To that extent, I think this pre-made up webbing does the same job as using a hippo pad.

To your second question - this is a key concern for me too. As the padding is the belt, it takes the load. My set still has some give in it so I found myself having to tighten fairly regularly - not something I remember on my old kit that also used a roll pin buckle. It's possible that it's just new and has some give in it still... If were someone who was gonna use a four pouch unit, loaded with 2 water bottles, and regularly carried a full complement of mags, I'm not sure I would be confident that the belt would secure the webbing. Being a skinny CFAV, I only have the three pouches and will likely never need to carry 12 mags!

Finally: flexibility - I've thought about this too... but in all honesty, if you've got your set up just right, how likely are you to change it? And from memory, once I got my old kit set up how I wanted it, I made damn sure it wasn't coming undone... which also made it a bugger to change it! So in terms of flexibility, if you know what you want your set up to be and this matches, then I would say no loss...

Hope that makes sense!
  7. I'm glad I've got a complete OG set of 95 with a privately purchased hippo pad to wear when we go PCS is September (Yes, I'm a CFAV)

I'll buy a PALS belt & yoke and individual pouches gradually before I switch.
  8. Mav - excellent review - thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and practical assessment. Anyone who has carried/run with gear knows how important it is to get this right - to be fair, I don't do a great deal of that anymore (well, at all really) but having suffered enough in the past I am still drawn to read about good quality gear! As I said, a very thorough and informative article, with detailed pics - thanks. Personally, I still have 2 sets of 95 made up in the garage - one for speed and one for load - and although they are useless with CBA they do offer flexibility of configuration. ATB
  9. Its a good review. I was never sure about stiched webbing, im a skinny git like you and when i first joined i had issues carrying everything. I just learnt to carry less shit around with me.

As for the new stuff, flexabilty may well be the way forward. You might be carrying a minimi tomorow, with molle webbing you can just whip off the ammo pouchs and put on a link pouch. Just one example but im sure there are others.

I got me some multi-cam molle webbing for when we get shiney new kit. I thought about stiched webbing, although you like yours you have convinced me i did the right thing.
  10. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

Thanks for the feedback - cheers
  11. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

Always good to hear from somebody else skinny who's had to learn the same lessons!

If I was paying and had to go choose a set, I could see how molle could be a better choice. However, not because I may be carrying a minimi tomorrow, just in terms of setting it up how I want. Although I can imagine some expensive trial and error going on!

Thanks for the feedback
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I am now fatter than a RA Bdr and not getting any slimmer but thankfully padding seems to be acceptable nowadays!
  13. Molle webbing is the way forward. Switch out loads for the role required in the comfort of your FOB before going on the ground. Stitched webbing is fine if you're doing a CFT, but for little else. It doesn't even have the flexibility of PLCE attachments which are a 1970's answer to load carrying. It still inexplicably issued because the MoD thinks squaddies are too fecking stupid to work out what they do and do not need to carry. Yet as soon as they land in Afghanistan they suddenly gain the knowledge necessary to use MOLLE.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Did you change role often on your tours ?

Are you on drugs ?

Ever wondered why the pouches are stitched in place ?

What's "inexplicably still issued," MOLLE, stitched webbing or PLCE ?
    Have you met any of the NCOs who do the MoD's bidding ?
    Is there the remotest form of structure in your posts ?

So you received no Osprey pouches prior to landing in theatre ?
    • Like Like x 2
  15. I've always found that when arriving in a location it is best practice for everyone to throw all their pouches in a pile and then do a lucky dip prior to the next task. This keeps things interesting and makes for some highly amusing anecdotes when, all of a sudden, the team medic is called forwards and finds his pouches full of dog biscuits. Meanwhile the ato is forced to try and neutralise a device using the contents of the padre's kit and is reduced to offering the bomb a Werther's and a chat about the football.
    • Funny Funny x 2