Marathon Tales - Interested in your stories...

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by marathontales, Sep 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I'm a playwright and I've been commissioned by BBC Radio 3 to write a drama about marathon running. As I'm the junior member of the writing team I get the job of research! So I'm looking for people to talk to about endurance training...distance running. I live in Plymouth and am always impressed by the soldiers who run the half marathon here carrying logs in formation ...

The first marathon back in ancient Greece - as well as being run by the messenger - was then run on mass by the army following him - trying to get back to Athens in time when they were being invaded by sea. Those guys fought a battle...ran a marathon....then fought again. So I'm interested to find out - are there any similar modern stories like that - epic runs in war...?

Someone told me that at the same time as the London marathon and the Great North run happens here, soldiers run the same race but in Afghanistan. Has anyone done this?

So for the play, we might base our characters and stories on things people tell us, or our research might just help us invent our own. We are intending to use stories from marathon winners from the past as well as people we talk to now. As well as stories I'm interested to find out what goes through your head ...what do you think about...? Are you aware of the rhythms of heartbeat/footfall/breath etc? How do you deal with the pain?! Is running an escape, a kind of battle with the self, a spiritual experience....just a bloody painful experience.... :)

If anyone is up for sharing thoughts and stories about running - not just marathon running, but any distance running, individual or group, I'd be very interested to hear them. I'll be meeting up with some runners in London too, and following a few people as they run the London marathon. Our play will be broadcast after the Olympics next year.

It would be great to hear from you,
    Thank you,
  2. H,

Buy a pair of trainers, start running, when you get to 13 miles turn round and run home. You'll be .2 of a mile short of the real deal but you should get a good feel.

Long distance running is pretty dull, painful and takes a lot of dedication. I think it will be a very dull play, but that's BBC R3 for you.

You should write one on what the Mess Steward saw, that would be far more entertaining.
  3. Thanks for answering anyway

- I get Runner's world, the forum's a good resource too, thanks.

- I'd run myself and have in the past but just walking hurts at the moment.

- still interested to hear from you ...
  4. Marathon running .... makes your toenails fall off. You get a lot of thinking done. And you spend a fortune on running shoes. On the positive side you can eat shed loads of Dairy Milk and still fit into size 8 clothes.
  5. Berlin, 1989............

Drunk the night before in Mon Cheri's, rag order the next day. Vommit severly at 8 mile point, again at 13 mile point, hangover gone at 16 mile point. Finish and then back on the screech by 6 pm with blisters and aching legs.................

Never again. Running a marathon I mean! :)
  6. FDW

FDW Old-Salt

i had similar problems when i asked for advice on an army related issue on runners world.

useless bastewards they were.
  7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Did about 30 marathons between 1980 and 2008, mainly in UK and Germany but also in US, France, Spain, Netherlands, Hong Kong and China, a fair number representing the Army. Got a number of reasonably amusing anecdotes and can add personal thoughts, too.

What's the best way to get in touch?
  8. ...........
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Surely you mean Snickers Tales?
  10. I doubt i'd get into a size 8 no matter how much I ran.
  11. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

I did a half marathon last year, first one ever. Did hardly any build up training other than a couple of miles a week.

God, it was torture. 13 miles of sheer bloody suffering. Why on earth do people do it to themselves, it cant be fun! Got round within my target time, but both legs cramped up in the last 800 metres (so badly that i thought i might have to crawl over the finish line), and couldnt walk for two days.

Moral of this story? 7 P's.
  12. Or snail trails!