Bris

LE
Ladies/Gents/Assorted creatures,

For reasons that escape me now, but were apparently very clear when 6 pints deep one night, I've signed up to run a marathon.

In Uganda.

Yes, I am aware that there's one that's kind of a big deal closer to my London home, and yes, I'm aware that the country isn't mega, but still - this is where I am.

Having never run a marathon before (let alone one in the Rift Valley, at high 20's temperature & 1500m altitude), I am looking for advice from the more (or less) accomplished runners of these hallowed halls of what music to run to; what makes the miles fly by, what gives you that extra burst of energy when you hit the wall (expected at about 300 yards in)?

Give me your recommended choons - it's either that or I'm just going to have 'The little engine that could' on reapeat all the way.

Ta

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Doobie brothers long train running. Taking it to the streets.

I should point out here, the last time I did any running, gunfire was involved.

Light Cavalry, 1812, assorted Wagner, then Bolero for the last fifteen minutes.
Or the Best of the Stones.

...of course, a bit of Offenbach's good for a few minutes in the middling stages:

Run it in these, good for a thousand miles apparently.

p0241w9s.jpg

Never run a marathon before, first one in high altitude with high temps and you want choons?
Here you go matey.

No thanks required old chap.

My first marathon was a hot one. After training in the winter the temp on the day was 32°c. They ran out of water, we had to keep pulling over for ambulances near the end and I saw some poor bloke trying to be brought back to life with a defibrillator. Not that I want to put you off or anything ...

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
For 71 years I've managed without trying a marathon, I don't intend starting now! Let us know if you need sponsoring op...

6 pints! You're a bit of a lightweight?...

Blogg

LE
Sure you have not also signed up to do it in a diving suit or, perhaps worse, a Zebra costume?

And how long do you have to prepare for this?

Bris

LE
Sure you have not also signed up to do it in a diving suit or, perhaps worse, a Zebra costume?

Loads of time - November. I went for a run last night, so I reckon if I do another in late October, I should be sorted. Right?

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer

Yeah right! Friggin zebra costume in Uganda, like that's a bloody good idea? How far do you think he'd get?

I was reading something this weekend, I'll have to see if I can find the source, that said any music of 180-190bpm is what you need to run to......

......for a 6 minute mile. Adjust according to your preferred pace