Marathon - Mara Yamauchi, Liz Yelling, Paula Radcliffe

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Sparky2339, Aug 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well done these lassies!!! Outstanding!!!

But it canny be good for ye - some of the competitors were so BMI - fat free they looked anorexic.

Reminded me of the books by Clarence Bass...

Well done, none the less :D :clap: :clap:
  2. here here!

amazed by those lassies. i cant run 2 minutes never mind 2 hours +!!!
  3. I was shocked, never mind impressed!!!

In fact, to be honest I was kind of horrified. That must've taken more heart than a boxer.

I salute you ladies :D :clap: :worship: :worship: :salut:
  4. i accept your salute :D

though i reckon you were refering more to 'those' ladies, than ladies in general!
  5. I was Muggle (sorry been on kara-oke wi pals fi Japan) but I salute ALL ladies. After all, where would we be without you. You're cleverererer for a start...

6. I was awestruck by all of them. Tomescu, who won was amazing but the one who showed real courage was Radcliffe who finished 23rd, about 5 minutes out. She was obviously hurting/injured and limped the last couple of miles but she still kept running to the end.
  7. Seconded - more corage than a vixen defending her cubs.
  8. Well at least she finished this time
  9. Well worth staying up for. Great to see Mara Yamauchi doing so well. Tomescu was amazing, she broke away so early and kept building on her lead, and just did not fail. The Kenyan/Chinese battle provided a great finish. Ndereba looked so cool throughout and surged through. Another plucky run from Martha Komu, her running style looks uncomfortable but she certainly gets results.

What happened to Liz Yelling, I heard she fell but tv coverage didn't show that?
  10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Liz Yelling was at the back of the leading group when there was a bit of argy-bargy and she went down and it looked like she hit the kerb. She finished just behind Radcliffe but the commentator said that it was thought that she had cracked a rib - FFS, cracked rib half way through a marathon and she finished. Big respect.

I am afraid I can't get on the I love Paula Radcliffe bandwagon. While at least she finished this year she once again failed to impress at the olympics. She may do well in smaller events where she can dominate the field and ponce about as the queen of the marathon, when it comes to the real event she folds.

Finally, big cheers and RESPECT for Mara Yamauchi for finishing 6th - equalling Britain's best ever placing in the women's olympic marathon - note Radcliffe is NOT the one she is equalling.
  11. I wouldn't call finishing the race whilst running through a great deal of pain "folding."
    It's a miracle she got to the games at all with such a serious injury, & even more amazing she actually managed to finish when she was clearly in trouble with her leg. It wasn't her fault she was injured. She could easily have packed in the race, but chose to continue.

And when she finished, all she really cared about was Liz Yelling, & making sure she got some medical attention after her fall.

She's set a world record for marathon too, so this is hardly "poncing about."
    She's just been unlucky at Olympic games.
  12. It looked like the course suddenly narrowed because of where the barriers were, all the runners quickly bunched up and she got caught out and fell. It also looked like, to add insult to injury, she got trampled on by the runner behind.

All credit to her for carrying on and finishing.

13. I would hardly say she folds, the same thing could have been said about Kelly Holmes and look what happend when she went too an olympic games injury free. Radcliffe has just had bad luck and too the people that are slagging her off i bet she still ran faster with a stress fracture of the femur than they could.
  14. Auld-Yin

Very true, however why did she go in the first place? Knowing that she had little chance why did she not let another, fitter person have the place? I go back to my original point - we had Mara at 6th place, equalling the best ever British finish in a women's olympic marathon. How much TV time was spent on her - virtually nil.

Liz Yelling was injured during the race and finished - how much TV time was spent on her brave effort? SFA.

I for one am not going to jump on the PR bandwagon which is there just to boost her bank balance IMHO. Were you one of the thousands who sent a text (and money) to support PR in her race? What about her colleagues?

I have more resp[ect for Mara and Liz.

15. Auld-Yin

Soz - double post