Marathon/Long distance running

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hedphelym, Feb 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello to all, just looking for some advice.

Having recently recovered from an injury that's had me out of action for a few months, I've decided that I want to get back up to standard and then some by hopefully running a marathon. Trouble is, I don't really know how to prepare and train for one.

Before my injury, my running routine was a mixture of 5.5mile steady paced runs, a 4 miler and a best effort 2 miler spread over a week.
    Since getting better, the shortest run I've done is a 4 miler. So I have been running 4 miles 3 times a week and a 5.5 miler once a week.
    Yesterday, I ran the furthest I ever have by doing a 7.5 miler at a reasonable pace. I'm pretty shot after that.

Now, what I don't know is how I should structure a running programme for training from here. So, having run that 7.5 miles yesterday - What do I do from here on out? Do I only run at least 7.5 miles from now, and build from there and when I reach 8 miles only run that distance and so on...? and how often should I run with these increased distances?

Any help would be much appreciated, many thanks.

2. This is a good site for training tips:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/default.asp?sp=&v=1

If you need any other info just PM me as me (and a fair few others on here) are doing this years London.

It would take a big write up to give you a specific schedule for your needs but basically it's about 3-4 months worth of training to do yourself any justice over the distance.

3. ive been training for a 1/2 marathon and found the runners world website quite useful...

Runners World Training

edit - beaten to it by jd

4. Thanks to both of you for the link.
    JD, would be good to get some info from you at some point if your doing London, so cheers for the offer. I'll get back to you after I've given the linky a good read tomorrow and something enters my head.
    Thanks again.

5. Anyone on the Silverstone half marathon?

6. H, for an injury to keep you out for that long it must have been quite significant. What was your injury? Which marathon do you have in mind and when?

7. Panda, I slipped a disc in November. Possibly thinking of the Yorkshireman Marathon this September as it's been recommended by a friend who said it was very enjoyable with nice views etc.. This is all if I don't end up being deployed on Herrick but that's not a definite, and I'd still like to build up to long distance running even if I was deploying.

8. Good on you. I never found the time to do a marathon when I was in due to constantly getting fcuked about, you lot even more so now I imagine!

9. Hedphelym: We have an Army 1/2 Marathon that we run here, the website has some good info on training up for it. Last year, we had a large contingent of injured soldiers running it and the trainers were great with them. You might find something useful on here: http://www.armyrun.ca/en/bootcamp.aspx I'm pretty sure Hartnell would answer any q's you have. Email him.

Be great if you could run ours oneday.

10. H, I assume the Yorkshireman Marathon is scenic and hilly?

I think what you must concentrate on is general running fitness to begin with and put marathon training to the back of your mind until you are 100% able to commit to marathon training through a steady build up over shorter running distances. If your marathon goal is to finish in one piece rather than chase a time goal then it will take the pressure right off of you which is a good thing because September is not far away.

H, I'm sending you a PM.

PL